Hot Air From Defog

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 01:55 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Air From Defog

OK, here's a California only question:

When I hit the "defog" button (the front defog) on the dash, I get a blast of VERY HOT air out of the dashboard vents (like fan set to high, temp set to high). I can take the high fan, but the full heat is unbearable. This is despite the temp setting. After about 30 seconds, the car gets so hot, I have to turn it off. I have the dual zone climate control on my '04 CT.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this "NORMAL" behavior? I finally got my vibration problem solved. I'm not looking forward to another trip to the dealer.

The reason why it's only in California: Anywhere else, you'd need to use your defog way more often and I wouldn't need to ask the question. Those of you in colder climes, does your defog work "properly"?

Alex
Old 11-06-2004, 02:59 PM
bancu
Racer

Mine seems to work the same as yours.

I think the problem maybe that it is labeled as a 'windshield defroster' and intended just for that use..

The thing that I find a bit aggravating is the assumption that a blowing air on the windshield is only used for defrosting. In more humid areas I get hit with fog on the inside of vehicles much more often. For that situation I find cold (less humid) air much more efficient. Like you, the natural place I go for is the 'defog' feature and expect to adjust the air temperature myself.

In trying to unburden us those wonderful engineers have confused us instead. Where are the human factors people when you need them?

Last edited by bancu; 11-06-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:03 PM
bancu
Racer

The real workaround for this probably to ignore the 'Windshield defroster' button and use the 'air to windshield' button below on the Air-Conditioning Control Panel instead.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

This is normal. Most cars with automatic systems have the defog button. It is will give max heat and run the a/c compressor (to dehumidify the air) and blast it out the front and sides (for the side windows). This setting is for maximum defogging and is only for that purpose. My other cars do the same.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:39 AM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Mine does the same too
Old 11-09-2004, 04:38 AM
bnhs1210
Track Day

Mines, too.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think under most "normal" driving conditions, as long as you are NOT running in "ECON" mode the AC compressor is operating and dehumidifies the air and you shouldn't be getting window fogging.

If your windshield does fog, the blast of hot air from the top of the dash will clear it quickly, and then hit the "AUTO" button and you shouldn't keep fogging up if the system is operating correctly. That's how it's worked with the Auto systems on my Audi's, and I think I've only had to do this once on my Cay S so far.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:52 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Renn 951
I think under most "normal" driving conditions, as long as you are NOT running in "ECON" mode the AC compressor is operating and dehumidifies the air and you shouldn't be getting window fogging.

If your windshield does fog, the blast of hot air from the top of the dash will clear it quickly, and then hit the "AUTO" button and you shouldn't keep fogging up if the system is operating correctly. That's how it's worked with the Auto systems on my Audi's, and I think I've only had to do this once on my Cay S so far.
I concur with that statement completely.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:32 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

Same here

Quick Reply: Hot Air From Defog