Sponsored by:

Cayenne v Audi RS6

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Spizz Oil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne v Audi RS6

Anyone have thoughts on respective merits?

Which is the better proposition for transition from 996 C4?

Spizz
Old 10-27-2004, 06:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
RS6, unless cargo capacity/towing is a factor.
One is a car, the other is not really a car and not really a truck.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:19 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I loved the RS 6, but didn't buy it because of the location of the battery in the trunk. It was obtrusive.

I wouldn't look at it as a replacement for either the the C4 or Cayenne. It's more of a direct comparison to the M5 and E55, and I think it is superior to either of those. (I owned an M5, and before that an E500). If you are comparing, use the C-T otherwise the differences are way too great.

If you can live with the trunk issue, it's an outstanding car to drive.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Spizz Oil
Instructor

Thanks guys. My 911 feels a little selfish wit my kids. Do you think that I could hack RS6 as a replacement? I wonder when the new model will be out. My dealer says not until 2008. What is RS6 depreciation like? I am looking at a demonstrator.

Spizz
Old 10-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cayenne turbo, otherwise RS6 over all other cayenne models
Old 10-27-2004, 06:48 PM
OPEC
Intermediate

I've got an RS6 and am seriously considering the Cayenne Turbo, not as a replacement, but as a car for my wife. The RS6 is absolutely fantastic to drive. The battery in the trunk has not been an issue for me. I can still pack a set of golf clubs in the back and have room to stop by the grocery store on the way home.

I have no complaints, and I would buy another if I needed it.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Moogle
Race Car

the audi would be a better choice in terms of the sleeper factor, and isnt considered as 'flash' as the cayenne may be. and you would be getting a top audi, instead of what some people consider the bastard porsche
Old 10-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spizz Oil
What is RS6 depreciation like? I am looking at a demonstrator.
Spizz
An RS6 demo car? I would run, not walk, away from that deal. The car is very unlikely to have been treated properly during the break-in period, which could lead to some very expensive problems if you keep it past warranty.

Old 10-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by Renn 951
An RS6 demo car? I would run, not walk, away from that deal. The car is very unlikely to have been treated properly during the break-in period, which could lead to some very expensive problems if you keep it past warranty.

absolutely agreed, on a car where the selling point is the torque and massive power, and since its an audi, it WILL have been abused. before AND after the break in (if relevant)
Old 10-28-2004, 01:38 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Personally, I would take the RS6 over the Cayenne any day of the week. Either way, you're comparing an relatively fast SUV to a seriously fast 4 door sedan.

Now Cayenne Turbo vs RS6, that would be a tough choice. Though with the Cayenne Turbo you're talking about an extra 10-15 grand.

Also about the RS6 being a demo vehicle, most dont see that rough of treatment as they're driven by store GMs who are most likely 50 years old, but you never know whats been done to them ( I dont believe in break in period anyways). If you plan on keeping the car for more than 4 years, then it might be an issue. Otherwise enjoy the lower price and all the protection a 4 year/50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty provides.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:22 AM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by Spizz Oil
Anyone have thoughts on respective merits?

Which is the better proposition for transition from 996 C4?

Spizz
...if I would spend most of my time in UK or Europe and needed utility car, I would get RS6 avant...for US I would get CayTT or CayS (if price comparison is important).

Old 10-28-2004, 08:00 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have both, so here it goes...

My RS6 is an Avant, and technically, its not an RS6, its an RS6+ (Europe only, 480bhp, uprated brakes and sports suspension and my car is the last RHD produced). Before the Plus, though, I had a 'standard' RS6, so I'll try and turn my mind back to the way that car handled...

First-off, they are not comparable. As stated above, the RS6 is a car, which means the ride is firmer, it feels more nimble, and although they are a comparable size, it feels much more nimble and manouverable. Being a 'limited edition', especially in the States, it will also be far more exclusive, and I believe, a future-classic. It is devastatingly fast, more like a train than a car, as the totally-flat torque curve simply thrusts you towards the horizon in a never-ending stream, irrespective of gear. The steering is not the best - heavy, and without much in the way of feel (although MUCH better than any other Audi), but the chassis does a pretty good job of sending information to you through the seat of your pants. The brakes are phenomenal on both cars, and the interiors are exquisitely built, even compared to the CTT - but make sure that the car you choose has the MMI-derived sat-nav, as the previous version was worse than aweful. One word though - the RS6 handled much worse than the Plus I have, although I am unsure how much of that is due to the lowered suspension, and how much was due to the tyres. The RS6 was on Pirelli P-Zero Rossos, and felt somehow nose-heavier than the Plus, which is shod in Contis.

Now for the CTT. Awesome car, and I would probably choose it over the RS6 in the US where highways are more common than back-roads. Although it truly feels better than any other truck, you really become aware of the size in traffic. Nimble it ain't. The engine is a peach, and you feel the power far more than in the RS6 as the engine is far more peaky. The gearbox, however, is a let-down. Both RS6 and CTT have the same tiptronic 'box, but it suits the Audi's engine far better - the torque making it irrelevant which gear you're in, whilst the CTT has a habit to be 2-3 gears too high before kickdown, and it takes a real shove to the throttle to induce down-changes. The paddles on the RS6 are nicer than the TT's buttons, and whilst you need to tap the TT's twice to initiate a downchange (once to activate 'M', and once to shift), it is immediate in the RS6. Cannot stress how much this matters. However, this being a Porsche, the steering, feedback and brake-feel (if not performance) are better than the RS6 - difficult to believe about a truck!

As far as practicality is concerned, there really isn't much in it. I find the Porsche's seats better than the Recarros in the RS6, which tend to hurt my lower-back after long-driving. The ride in the RS6 is firm, bordering on rediculously harsh, and those sitting in the back tend to get the brunt of it. They really won't like you very much for putting them there (even if the rears on the Cayenne are far from comfortable). The RS6 also suffers from far more tyre-noise than the Cayenne, although the Cayenne suffers from wind-noise problems.

Finally, the engine note. Frankly, the RS6 is one of the best-sounding cars I've ever heard. I never drive with the radio on as I simply love the Steve McQueen Bullit soundtrack coming from the back. The TT sounds muted in comparison, even though turbo-noise is much more pronounced, and it is nice to hear the whistle over the V8 rumble.

You won't regret either choice, and I don't know which I'd choose if I could have only one. Enjoy!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:57 AM
Spizz Oil
Instructor

Urban Alchemist,

What an excellent and helpful post.

For avoidance of doubt, I am based in Glasgow, Scotland.

I am told that you can't get a new RS6 Avant now, so am looking at a demo car or slightly used. I am interested in what you say about the Plus. Are the differences substantial? Should I be waitnng for one to come up - or is the RS6 on Contis - good enough?

Spizz
Old 10-28-2004, 03:26 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its too late to get any new RS6 now. I went last month to pick up the + from Quattro GmBh in Germany, and they were already retooling the plant for the new RS4.

Yup, there really is that much difference between my Plus and my old RS6, so much so that I couldn't believe it on my drive back from Germany:

1. The steering is lighter, more communicative and more direct, without the leaded and ultra-heavy feel on centre. The front-heavy nature of the standard RS6 isn't in evidence with the Plus, either. As stated before, not sure if this is a difference between the RS6 and the Plus, or simply the tyres.

2. The sports suspension in the Plus is a paradox. It sits 10mm lower than the standard RS6, feels more planted and is far happier changing direction, yet is actually FAR more comfortable. For some reason, the new setup copes far better with our rather horrid roads.

3. The engine feels far more tractible in the Plus. The RS6 actually scared me sh!tless on occasion, as the throttle felt a bit too much like a switch: on or off, with nowhere in between.

4. There really isn't that much noticeable difference in performance between the two, but the Plus is far quicker point-to-point, simply because you feel so much more in step with it.

There may be reasons for these differences. As I said before, 1 may simply be the tyres. And as well as that, my RS6 was one of the first off the line - maybe the Plus was simply a more mature product with the problems ironed out. However, maybe those small differences between the RS6 and Plus really do make all the difference. I'd say that if you can, try and get hold of a Plus, as it really is the ultimate RS6. Either that, or get a Cayenne TT (be prepared for horridly expensive used prices, and a 12 month wait for a new one) and wait for the new RS6. Personally, I'm planning to keep my Plus till the new one comes out in 3 years, when the RS4 finishes its run. It really is something special.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Spizz Oil
Instructor

Very interesting.

The trouble is that there are no Pluses around. There are a couple of brand new RS6 Avants available - Mugello and Avus. But if I am buying a standard RS6 - would probably go for a slightly used one with some of the depreciaiton taken out.

I am hoping that you are right about "maturer" models being better.

Will it really be 3 years until the new model?

Moving sideways from a 2002 996 C4. Had a 997 on order, but coming round to way of thinking that I would rather get my kicks en famille. Can't get my head round an SUV.

Spizz

Quick Reply: Cayenne v Audi RS6