Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do a lot of Porsche owners dislike the Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 12:23 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do a lot of Porsche owners dislike the Cayenne?

After reading about the Cayenne on various newsgroups and websites...it seems that some of those that consider themselves true "Porschephiles" dislike the Cayenne immensely. Not that I care either way, since I purchase my cars for me and not for someone else...but what's the deal with that anyway?
Old 09-06-2004, 01:15 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I am a true "Porschephile" but I do not dislike the Cayenne. In fact, the more I look at the SUV landscape, the more I like it. I don't think there is another SUV out there that can compete with the Cayenne.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:20 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Most people on this board are Cayenne owners so we can only speculate on the reason for a true Porschephile's dislike. I'm not sure the Porschephile knows the real reason. One thing is certain, those that dislike the Cayenne immensely are fewer in number every day. A test drive is usually all it takes.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:21 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Dislike is too strong a word. I tend to compare it to the Lexus RX series. Were the AWD RX RWD torque biased it would likely be the obvious choice. I still chose the RX anyway.

Cayenne has GREAT bragging rights but otherwise who needs an SUV with a TT V8, 2.5tons, HUGE body, etc, etc.

My next SUV purchase will likely be the X3.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:26 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know what a true "Porsche" person is, but I LOVE both my Cayenne and my Boxster, yet I am sure some of the 911 purists claim my two cars are nothing more than "Porsche" branded imposters.

Doesn't really bother me, as I have a blast in both of my cars and love them dearly!!! Perhaps people such as myself are members of the "new Porsche", for better or worst!
Old 09-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

lots of Porsche "purists" don't like the 996 and 997 along with the Cayenne. If it's not aircooled and rear engine it's not a true Porsche to them. oh well...
Old 09-06-2004, 01:45 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Go back to the LONG threads a coupld of years ago about the Cayenne. You will see a lot of people explaining why they dislike the Cayenne.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:48 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Ya, I guess it's along the same lines as the BMW guys that think the only "true" M3 was the E30. Even though I have yet to find a E30 (modified or not) that can run with my modified E46.

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
lots of Porsche "purists" don't like the 996 and 997 along with the Cayenne. If it's not aircooled and rear engine it's not a true Porsche to them. oh well...
Old 09-06-2004, 02:21 PM
LegoDoom
Instructor

Oddly enough, I get waves and looks from mainly the 993 crowd. At least they can appreciate the fact that we both like the brand. I can't remember getting a single wave or light flash from a 996 or Cayenne owner.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

I was in the camp that did not like the Cayenne when it came out. I've always been a Porsche turbo guy and have owned several and currently own a 02 996 tt. It took just one drive and I picked up my CS. I know I have changed the minds of three friends using the "just drive it" line. Now I love it. Have always been a Range Rover guy, now I see them and am glad I 'm not driving one now. They are very plush but no fun to drive.

wwest,
Have fun with your Lexus. Great reliable SUV but no comparision to the Cayenne S or Turbo. I've also had an LX 470. Again great SUV but I cannot compare it to a Cayenne, just two totally different SUV's.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Aeson
Advanced

I never did see the forum posts as owner negatives or dislikes. Of course, as with any brand, there are obvious things we’d all like to see improved. I think we use this as a place to get the most out of our C6s, CSs and CTs. This is the place that we get the benefit of tuning, mods, product info, etc.. not generally available.

The forum members are made of more than just "Porschephiles". They are people who care about what the exhaust tone is, how to maximize the tip of the paddles, adding trailer brakes and the like. So unfortunately we don't spend a lot of time talking about how great the Cay is. In fact if we did I wouldn't be here because I know how great is it.

For people more concerned about the weight of the vehicle and how it compares to other brands, I would suggest spending more time on the JDPower's website or trying to find a Kia Sorento forum and talk about how many subwoofers you can fit in the back.

As for me, this is my forum because I like my ride and I choose to be here.

Can I get an AMEN??

Aeson
Old 09-06-2004, 04:25 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

No, you can't
Old 09-06-2004, 08:16 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 798 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
...and there are others who still believe that a Porsche should have 4 cams!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:49 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

I would like to have one of those
Old 09-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Aeson
Advanced

If its not a GT3 AeroGT3RedWing never has anything substantive to add. Not sure why he haunts this forum.

Quick Reply: Do a lot of Porsche owners dislike the Cayenne?