Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do a lot of Porsche owners dislike the Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Originally Posted by jhunt@huntinter
True Porsches are raced. That is what makes the model strong and proves the design to the public.

But then the good Dr. died and everything changed.

Maybe Porsche should come out with the Cayenne Cup so it can be accepted by more people.

I personally never needed Porsche to race their cars to appreciate them for what they were or what they did. Driving one is what sold me on my first Porsche, the same way it sold me on the CT.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhunt@huntinter
True Porsches are raced. That is what makes the model strong and proves the design to the public.

But then the good Dr. died and everything changed.
So ANY Porsche that is raced is a "real Porsche" and those that aren't are fake? Any does only factory racing count? What is the level of racing that has to be done? Does SCCA local count? If it does, then by this definition, a Cayenne is a "real Porsche."

While I understand the very compelling reasons the factory can/should engage in racing to develop the marque, IMHO it is counter intuitive that racing is all that makes a Porsche a Porsche.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:15 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just looking back, this forum evolved into a Cayenne owners board and we used to get a lot of TROLL types writing making anti Cayenne comments based on its mere existance. These folk were in the most part comprised sport car and BMW X5 owners.

But as can be seen now these have mostly disappeared.

I would not like to point fingers :-) but a lot of the anti group are now owners !

This comes at something of a shock to me having lived thru those days, and for those that do not know, the previous moderator was fighting those folk even before the Cayenne was released, he had to leave the post (to see more of his family) but still consults. (ongoing thanks to him).

The "just drive it" approach works.

Even tho we discuss all the warts of the car here, we still love our Cayenne's
Old 09-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep there used to me some real dog fights back in the early days.
I actually believe and forgive me for being a little serious but creating these threads in the first place is counter productive.
There is model rivalry everywhere. Porsche history is riddled with it. Not a real Porsche started with the 901 from 356 owners.
I have had a 993 owner and a 996 owner turn their back on me when they saw I drove up in a 964. That was only a month ago and it happened in Switzerland. You should have seen their faces when I took off in the GT-2.
Do not let it worry you. Who cares. I have driven the TT (November 2002 for the first time) and the Sportec SP600 and despite their additional weight and size the Cayenne will give most other autos on the road a good run. There is still no substitute for capacity.
I was in Scotland in a Cayenne S and people came over all the time and wanted to have a look at it and ask questions. Nobody ignores the Cayenne and it does turn heads.
Just enjoy what you have and forget about the rest.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2
Old 09-07-2004, 04:43 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Adrian, knew you were out there !
Ciao
Old 09-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yeah still around and sort of hanging on the fringe now with my involvement with Sportec and their tuned Cayenne version along with their super kool wheels. Will be checking in now and again giving updates. By the way I do not work for them as an employee or anything. We just have some serious projects going, that luck sort of brought us together on, and it has taken off from there.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2
Old 09-07-2004, 11:17 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had my cayenne to 5 DE's each time at the end of the run session yet another instructor would say how great this "car" is on the track. Dont knock this thing until you take it on the track and pass a few people!
Old 09-08-2004, 01:18 AM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get the Cayenne into the Paris Dakar Rally. That is the type of race that it should excel in.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Adrian,

Should we be expecting you to add a Sportec 600 Cayenne you were talking about to your great line up of cars? Please let us know about any advancements you make with this beast. I am sure everyone is interested in the progression.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Anthony,
No I do not expect to add a SP600 to my collection. Whilst it is a wonderful auto it will simply not fit safely down my driveway.
When we return home to Australia then it might be different We will be living out in the country and a Cayenne would be a useful vehicle especially for the wife. However the fuel consumption is a concern. Mind you the GT-2 drinks it so I could not really complain.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2
Old 09-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

When I heard the news, I thought the idea of an SUV was the worst possible "third" line Porsche could come up with. I was hoping for something small, fun, and affordable for the necessary market penetration Porsche was seeking...along the lines of a Miata competitor, with a pumped up VW/Audi 1.8T motor (as VW is contemplating now). It may have been a bastard Porsche like the 914, but at least it would have been a sports car...and as a modern iteration of the 914, actually had some historical significance. But, the timing was right to co-develop an SUV with VW, and Porsche could justify an SUV since the majority of its existing customer base owns high-end SUVs as well. I wasn't happy with the decision, but couldn't argue with the rationale.

I'm relatively pleased with the result...it does give the enthusiast SUV driver (not an oxymoron) an option over the X5, but I still feel that Porsche got the short end of the deal. The base model $35k Touareg benefits from a platform designed for the $100k Porsche, and it still looks to me like they took a Touareg and tried to make it look like a Porsche with only mild success. And the interior is sub-par in a $60k vehicle (full leather dresses it up a bit, but that's even more expensive). I'm sure all of the design and materials criticisms will be addressed over time, as Porsches are always improving...I just wish it had been a bit better to start with. My biggest complaint is that Porsche introduced the VW-powered V6 model. I could understand the sports car of SUVs, especially the TT version, but the V6's lack of performance makes it just another slow poseur-luxury-SUV in my book.

Now that it's done, Porsche enthusiasts have no choice but to support the Cayenne since it's making up the majority of sales. If the Cayenne fails, it would be disaterous Porsche...and no enthusiasts want that.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:18 AM
John Struthers
User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything on this topic was indeed covered on the Original (non-owner) Cayenne/Pepper forum.
Some of te detractors probably had ancestors heavily, and happily, involved with the Spanish Inquisition. For awhile you were a fool to defend the Cayenne. Even after the car went on sale here the detractors would post that they had test driven one and that the dash , size, looks, ...were all crap.
Some of the industry rags were actually using the forum for reference on the 'True Porschephile Opinion' which then snowballed as the comments went into print.
One of the BIG detractors had the brass in one of his post's to point out the publication, comments, editorials and further comments from the talking heads which, if you bothered to read, were based on comments from the detractor and others on the non-owner forum.
Essentially, the True Porschephile Opinion was based in the main on strongly opininated members from this site who had never seen more than a picture of a Cayenne, and had to rely on reviews of the Auto Industry Rags who had extremely limited time around or in the car.
Kinda like Gw and Tony Blair convincing each other about Iraq...
Some misnomers are still here...
Porsche stopped racing, NOT! Maybe LeMan and F-1, read the old archives I listed the support and racing efforts of the Porsche Marque.
As for racing and handling as the description of a true Porsche...didn't a Cayenne beat a 911 derivative on a closed course?
Porsche would go broke and into recievership -a possible VW buyout?
Nope the Marque was in an expansion phase. And had the warchest to do it.
At the same time look at the Boxter, the Carrerra GT, all the new 911 derivatives...I can't see a total engineering shutdown for the Pepper. It just didn't happen!
They call it a truck, so be it! I want one. It's already had a production run over the 928's numbers so it's already paid for itself.
I like all Porsches' but I love 928's -two in the family now-. And guess what? While I know I'll never own a Carrerra GT, or a GT 2, GT 3, there is a chance that I'll someday own a Pepper TT.
So take care of those puppies will ya?
I once wrote that I couldn't wait for the Cayenne owners to take control of the Cayenne Forum so we could read about real stories, problems, maintenance issues and, by God, you folks have done it!
You are the folks who will start tinkering and doing BTDT maintenace and spreading the word, an evolution if you will. Thanks to John D and his family for putting the Renn together.
Say, for those of you who are interested in real Porsches' visit the 928 side of the house
Of particular interest would be the Greg Nichols site which is a collection of maintenance issues and BTDT resolutions. It's divided into sections, engine, tranny, A/C electrical... could be a fair model for you future Guru's.
FWIW If I was pulling my car into a Porshe Dealership and heard a Mechanic talking trash I'd make sure he had a one-sided conversation with ownership.
You folks picked the Cayenne for a reason, enjoy your machine and don't worry about the trash talkers... they are usually easy targets.
Have fun
Old 09-09-2004, 03:18 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

Do a lot of Porsche owners dislike the Cayenne?

do people like to talk sh*t?

both answers will be ''yes''. bottom line is, i'm a Porsche owner & i love Cayenne. however, i didn't like ''the idea of Cayenne'' before i drove one. now i'm getting the second Cayenne for the house.

Quick Reply: Do a lot of Porsche owners dislike the Cayenne?