Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do a lot of Porsche owners dislike the Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeson
If its not a GT3 AeroGT3RedWing never has anything substantive to add. Not sure why he haunts this forum.
I will give on amen to that. Also on the 997 forum.....
Old 09-06-2004, 10:14 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

You might call me a Porsche fanatic having driven them for 33+years and still have my first one. Practically every family either has one or have had one since the '70's. (Good German family). When they first started talking about the pepper I was rather pissed as it meant they pulled out of the prototype class at LeMans. I vividly remember the Tshirts at the Parade saying "We're not racing at LeMans, we're building a truck!" Times change though- I needed a SUV which could tow something and would be a nice family cruiser. Narrowed it down to the Toureg and the Cayenne S. The driving dynamics and of course the crest on the hood tipped the scales. The whole family loves it- the amazing thing is, it attracts as much if not more attention on the road than the GT3. Going through a toll-booth on the Kansas Turnpike the booth-person wanted to ask all kinds of questions about it, and there was a good line behind us! Unfortunately, all the kids in the rice rockets want to race you in a TRUCK as if you were in the 911! Glad now they built the damned thing...
Old 09-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a "wave" today from a guy in an absolutely mint 356A. No snobbery there -- I thought it was pretty cool!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:24 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

I've been flashing my lights at other Porsches since 1971- unfortunately most today have no idea what I"m doing... my wife thinks I'm crazy to still be doing it, but old habits die hard.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:18 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I flash my lights at other porsches too and rarly get the flash back as well (seems most owners today just do not understand)

On the topic of this forum: THe reason why alot of us dislike the Car is becuase Porsche is a sports car company they do not make SUVs. And that is kind of my feeling but i will say this, at least porsche did it right. That is they made the fastest (has the hart of a sports car) and best SUV on the market, which kind of makes it ok, it keeps the feeling that the porsche is one of the fastest and best in its class.

I have herd porsche mechanics say i did not come to work for porsche to work on stinking SUVs if i wanted to d that i would have gone to ford.

By the way Yes i will wave at a Cayenne driver it is still a porsche even though i may not like it.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Porsche made tractors long before they made the highly regarded 993.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:51 AM
ajauch
Instructor

Originally Posted by skl
When they first started talking about the pepper I was rather pissed as it meant they pulled out of the prototype class at LeMans. I vividly remember the Tshirts at the Parade saying "We're not racing at LeMans, we're building a truck!"
Actually, I believe that the LeMans effort was shifted over to the Carrera GT. That's where the engine went. I do remember the hubub at the time when the Cayene development was public and the Carrera GT was still a secret. Once the GT came out, I pretty much forgave Porsche and got over it.

Then again, I remember the hue and cry over the Boxster because it was water cooled and mid-engined. Everyone knows that a real Porsche has the engine in the back and is air cooled.... :-)

Love my Boxster, love my CT.

Alex
Old 09-07-2004, 01:51 AM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
...When they first started talking about the pepper I was rather pissed as it meant they pulled out of the prototype class at LeMans...Narrowed it down to the Toureg and the Cayenne S. The driving dynamics and of course the crest on the hood tipped the scales...Glad now they built the damned thing...
Those phrases are my exact feelings! One test drive and I was sold. As for my wife, when I offered her a test drive her response was "I don't need to drive drive. It's a Porsche."
Old 09-07-2004, 02:20 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

All it took for me is a loaner Cayenne to drive and that was it. The handling/steering feel and out right stability on the corners sealed the deal to get one. No regrets. Mike
Old 09-07-2004, 07:12 AM
vtgts300kw
Advanced

Originally Posted by M-Phibian
Ya, I guess it's along the same lines as the BMW guys that think the only "true" M3 was the E30. Even though I have yet to find a E30 (modified or not) that can run with my modified E46.
nice looking m3

looks like a full blown CSL. what mods ahve u done on the car?
we test drove a CSL. amazing car
Old 09-07-2004, 07:30 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The origin of the problem was when Porsche got out of factory racing... It moved a bunch of engineers onto the Cayenne project, claiming it couldn't race and build the Cayenne at the same time. So a lot of racing diehards were upset.

Also consider that (the odd tractor aside) Porsche had never built a four-door vehicle of this type before.

There's an odd phenomenon in the Porsche community that's different from BMW, Mercedes, or Ferrari. Owners have debated the notion of a "real Porsche" ever since the 911 was released. The 356 guys didn't accept the 911, the 911 guys didn't accept the 928, etc. And Porsche didn't help the cause by building the original 924 (equipping it with an anemic Audi engine).

OTOH, Porsche was smart to unveil the Cayenne Turbo and S (high performance models) first. The Cayenne has won over a lot of converts because the performance & engineering are outstanding.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:14 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

I also remember when the 914 came out, a lot thought it was just a VW and didn't even want it in the PCA. I couldn't afford anything else and didn't want a used car. Eventually most quit bitching- and it was nice to beat many 911's in autocrosses with my "VW" ...
Old 09-07-2004, 12:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,260 Posts

I have to agree with about everything skl has to say.

I have said this before and believe you me, there was a time that I swore I would never like one, but the Cayenne has revolutionized the SUV. One long test drive and I was sold. I found the MB ML's and X5's lacking. The Range Rover did not impress me but the Cayenne Turbo does it all.

I have been driving 911's for over 25 years and always consider them the quintessential Porsche. I owned a 928 and found it to be a great car but still no 911 replacement. I loved my 914 after years of calling them VW's but again no 911, and I have now come around to say that the CT is one of my favorite vehicles of all time, next to the 911. I told this to a freind of mine (911 racer for 20 years) yesterday and he cringed. I think if he drove one he would change his mind.

Although I have owned 911's all of these years, I have also owned an SUV of one sort or another since 1985. Everyone thought I was crazy then. I have to admit the Cayenne has a special niche that alows you to have most of the pleasure of a performance auto and still give you the ability to hall around all your junk, even in the worst weather. Or trailer your 911 to and from the track.

Yes, in my opinion as a certifiable Porsche nut, I love the Cayenne Turbo and find it grows on me everyday. Although I will never sell my 911, the CT is there for those days that the 911 stays home. I can't think of a better combination of vehicles to own.

PS, I wouldn't want to work on one either, the 911 is a different story.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sean
There's an odd phenomenon in the Porsche community that's different from BMW, Mercedes, or Ferrari. Owners have debated the notion of a "real Porsche" ever since the 911 was released. The 356 guys didn't accept the 911, the 911 guys didn't accept the 928, etc. And Porsche didn't help the cause by building the original 924 (equipping it with an anemic Audi engine).
Is very interesting in the Porsche community to follow all the "true Porsche" debates. Really amazes me- everything from the 356 guys not accepting the 911, to the ever-lasting air cooled vs water cooled debate, to the 914/924 cars are really not P-cars, to the view these days that the only "real" Porsche you can buy these days is a GT3 (if it does not have a dry sump, it must suck, no pun intended).

IMHO, what makes a P-car is the way the engineering is applied, not the specific engineering or form it comes wrapped in. If it says Porsche, and drives like a Porsche, well, you know the rest.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:14 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

True Porsches are raced. That is what makes the model strong and proves the design to the public.

But then the good Dr. died and everything changed.

Quick Reply: Do a lot of Porsche owners dislike the Cayenne?