Sponsored by:

Those devils at Mobil.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004 | 08:50 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those devils at Mobil.....

So last year Mobil argued to the US governing agency for oil labeling, that the Castrol labeled dino oil was a not valid label (simply a chemical message of atoms). The Mobil synthetic was more expensive to manufacture. The European standards are higher.

Mobil lost the arguement and the author of the article speculated that Mobil would manufacture a dino/synthetic for the US.

My oil level was 3/4 down and I bought a quart of "Super Synthetic", "European Blend". The cost was $9.00.

Mobil marketing put a designer label on this "new" oil and charge $3-$4 more. Then sells the UNSuper Synthetic for as much as they sold the Euro version.

Isn't marketing great? BTW who knows if the UnSuper Mobil1 mixes with the factory oil in the Peppers.

Old 08-31-2004 | 10:10 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure where you are buying but you got ripped off.

I pay about 4.50 for the same oil. Of all places...Walmart.
Old 08-31-2004 | 11:14 PM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
it is important that you compare the specifications of the oil you use. You may find this link of interest;

http://www.landsharkoz.com/techtips.htm

Check under "Lubricants for the 928"

Use only the oil specification mentioned in your handbook for your vehicle!

As a very simple and basic explanation, there are effectively five Groups of lubricants. Group 1 and 2 are basic mineral basestocks. Group 3 is a "hydrocracked" mineralbase stock that reaches into Group 4 which is typicaly a PAO blend synthetic. Group 5 is fully synthetic and uses primarily expensive Esters of various types and etc. The argument was whether a Group 3 mineral could be labled a "synthetic" oil! Castrol won the courtcase and Mobil won the battle because Castrol's once expensive and overpriced Group 3 products have since been viewed as a suspicious rip off. Their market share has fallen as well. Castrol is now a part of the BP-ARAL group of companies

Mobil's excellent M1 SuperSyn range are variously either Group 4 or 5 products. Some of Castrol's products are supposedly too - but you be the judge which they are!

In buying synthetics you get what you pay for and Group 4 and 5 are much more sophisticated in their formulation and are more expensive to produce

ExxonMobil, ChevronCaltex and Shell are now revisiting the Group 3 area and are developing very advance basestocks via new hydrocracking techniques. These advanced mineral oils (can be called synthetics courtesy of Castrol/Mobil's stouch) will be cheaper than Group 4 and 5 synthetics. Shell's Helix Ultra synthetic range are produced via this process (Xtra High Viscosity Index - XHVI) and are used very successfully by Ferrari in F1

Some of these products are being sold to smaller oil companies and blenders and most will use the proprietery trademark name

Regards
Old 08-31-2004 | 11:56 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Doug do you think mixing a mineral based group 4 (Castrol or Mobil1 US) and a full syn Group 5 is a good idea (are they compatable)?

"Not sure where you are buying but you got ripped off.

I pay about 4.50 for the same oil. Of all places...Walmart."

I'd pay $12 for a quart, not to park & wait on line. Hey, I own Porches... :-)
Old 09-01-2004 | 12:00 AM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torags
I'd pay $12 for a quart, not to park & wait on line. Hey, I own Porches... :-)
Yeah, not the funnest place to be but I buy a lot at once and that means only a once a year visit. Buying expensive cars is one thing, throwing money away is another.
Old 09-01-2004 | 12:35 AM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
Torags - self blending/mixing oils is not a good thing. Whilst they are of necessity "compatible" additive "clash" and diluting of the benefits of the expensive Group 5 is a reality so except for an emergency topup it should not be done

You may be interested in the "Oil Condition Report" under search in the 928 Forum concerning Delvac 1 a 5w-40 "mixed fleet" Heavy Duty Engine Oil (HDEO) I use in my cars and trucks

Regards
Doug
Old 08-15-2005 | 01:24 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doug Hillary
Hi,
Torags - self blending/mixing oils is not a good thing. Whilst they are of necessity "compatible" additive "clash" and diluting of the benefits of the expensive Group 5 is a reality so except for an emergency topup it should not be done
Regards
Doug
Doug - what's your opinion of the following I received from Mobil Oil

I recently wrote to Mobil asking the question if there is any downside to adding Mobil 1 @5W30 to an engine with 15W50 fills and they replied that there is no adverse effect other than a thinner oil viscosity and in fact if you reach a 50/50 mix, you end up with 10W40 Mobil 1....
Old 08-15-2005 | 03:13 AM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi Randy,
as long as the two oils are of the same formulation then what Mobil have told you is correct! This means using M1 SuperSyn 5w-30 and M1 SuperSyn 15w-50 for instance which have the same additive packages

I can calculate this (I have a special calculator for this purpose) once certain details such as volumn is known

Mixing dissimilar formulations is not advisable and I would not mix Delvac 1 5w-40 with M1 15w-50 for example as Delvac 1 has a significant ester content in its basestock

Regards

Last edited by Doug Hillary; 08-15-2005 at 03:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Those devils at Mobil.....