Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misc. Fees at Delivery : PDI and Porsche Cert??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 06:46 PM
baileybonds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misc. Fees at Delivery : PDI and Porsche Cert??

I was taking delivery of my new 05 Cayenne S this morning and I was shocked to discover the following fees that were not on the invoice or sticker:

-PDI fee (Pre-Delivery Inspection) of $374
-Porsche Certificate Fee of $40

My dealer told me that these fees were mandatory and that all dealers charged them. I had a deal with them for a certain amount over invoice, but they said these fees were "part of dealer cost" and I was shocked to hear about them.

Does anyone know if these fees are legit, or are they just getting over on me?? Any help or insight here would be appreciated -- thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 07:07 PM
LegoDoom
Instructor

I know I didn't pay those fees.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:29 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I think its BS, I have never paid those fees (got Porsche certificates with both 04's). There is a destination fee shown on the sticker that includes the Porsche prep (before delivery to the dealer). What dealer are you dealing with?
Old 08-03-2004, 07:35 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Every new porsche

Every new porsche comes with the Certificate of Authenticity
I never paid for that. You only pay if you have order it from pca or
lost your original...hmmmm
Old 08-03-2004, 08:31 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

The Porsche Certificate of Authenticity may be ordered, either by the dealership of the customer, starting at $95, with extras such as lamination and framing available. A deduction for PCA membership is also available.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:19 PM
alirob
Intermediate

I would have walked out the door (and they would have come running after you and waived those fees they were trying to squeeze out of you).
Old 08-03-2004, 09:40 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

The PDI fee would be appropriate if the negotiated price of the vehicle started at dealer invoice, plus a reasonable profit, instead of starting at sticker price and going for the best discount. The PDI fee would be included in the charges paid by the dealership and would affect the minimum price that the vehicle could be sold for, with the dealership still making a profit. They have to make a profit to make the sale.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:54 PM
BarryM
5th Gear

I just picked up my 05 today as well and was not charged anything "extra" except the usual $45 for misc processing for registration etc. However, when I was negotiating with another dealer in CT they told me they charge a $400 dealer prep fee in addition. I found another dealer!
Old 08-04-2004, 02:19 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with everyone else. you might approach them and try and get your money back.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:15 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Default Apples and Oranges

If the negotiation is for a specific amount above invoice, then the various related charges will be added. For example a '04 tt has an invoice of $78,422 plus $765 destination and a retail of $89,665 plus $765. In the original example, let's say that the dealership ordered the certificate with an invoice of $40 and a retail of $95, that they may have planned to include as a gift to the customer. The dealership is also charged $374 for the PDI. Some manufacturers also have regional advertising charges assessed to the dealer, on a per vehicle basis.

For example, if the sale was negotiated for $2,000 over invoice, then the cost to the customer would be $78,422 + $765 + $40 + $374 + 2,000, or $81,601. This is $8,829 below the retail cost of $90,430.

So, if an alternative negotiating approach was used, that started at retail and a discount was negotiated, then these hidden, real, charges would never be exposed to the consumer. It is also likely that the consumer would end up with a higher out-the-door cost.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

We always have an additional charge on our vehicles to cover 4 things: freight, PDI, Federal AC tax, and our province's tire tax. For us, customers know up front that these charges are there, as they are listed on our spec sheets that we display.

We don't charge for the Certificates Of Authenticity. It ocsts us about $60 per unit for the cerificates, but that cost does not get passed on the customers. I can;t vouch for other dealers though.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:30 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Difference - the freight is on the U.S. stickers (I think its $765). I understand about your Federal AC tax and tire tax. But is the PDI an additional charge from PCNA that must be paid by the dealer and is not shown on the sticker, or is it a dealer charge for their own PDI? If the PDI is a dealer charge, it should have been negotiated as part of the deal, not added on after a deal was made.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

PDI is a dealer charge and stands for Pre Delivery Inspection. Basically, once the car comes off the truck, it goes into the shop for a complete inspection and diagnostic to make sure everything is as it should be.

Personally, I feel this should definitely be an "up front" charge, as PDI inspections aren't cheap. I think the book time is around 4 hours. If a dealer is trying to charge you after the negotiations, I'd consider that dishonest.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:40 AM
woogiedaxel
Instructor

Default Stealers

They are trying to smoke you. The rep is trying to get some more commission. Maybe they gave you deal on sticker and he is being sneaky trying to make some more money off you. NO way I paid any fees like that.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:44 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

porsche should be paying for the pdi-why is the consumer paying for the dealership to make right any problems that occured during the shipping process.? i understand why they charge a pdi with motorcycles, as they have to assemble the bike-cars come assembled. i think that a pdi is a dealer rip-off, akin to bank fees, etc. if you have to make things run right before the owner picks up the car, let porsche pay for it.

Quick Reply: Misc. Fees at Delivery : PDI and Porsche Cert??