Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 07:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question analog vs digital brake controller

I've been reading the recent threads regarding brake controllers/towing with a Cayenne.

As an electrical engineer, I realize I tend to look a things a bit differently and am new to towing, but I am somewhat puzzled by a 'digital' brake controller and not really surprised with the problems that the Prodigy is having with the Cayenne's electrical/diagnostic system.

What is the advantage of a Prodigy over an analog controller (assuming both can be mounted in any position, which is standard today)?

A conventional/analog brake controller has a very simple function to perform (and quite easy to design from scratch if one were so inclined) and doesn't cause any problems with embedded diagnostics built into the Cayenne's towing controller module that have been described here.

I'm not for any particular brake controller, just trying to understand the advantages of the digital one over a conventional one.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Well sometimes going with the best unit on the market isn't the wise choice.. Thats the only reason I went with the digital controller..
Old 06-28-2004, 09:18 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Lewis,

My read on the advantage of the Prodigy http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html as compared to a standard analog brake controller is that it has automatic leveling, so that the brake function is not influenced by the incline or the mounting angle.

Otherwise, a standard analog brake controller would work well with the Cayenne and not require vehicle wiring modifications.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:15 PM
BarryC
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 46 Posts

I currently have a Reese digital controller. Seems like everyone here is using the Prodigy controller. Any reason for this? I'd like to use my existing controller rather than purchase a new one.

Thanks,
Barry
Old 06-28-2004, 11:43 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 581 Posts

My S will have air suspension (assuming it ever gets here ) so leveling isn't a problem. Sounds like I'll go with the DrawTite Lewis I believe is using as I got the wiring and factory plug (from VWparts) and it should work fine...
Old 06-29-2004, 09:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wingless,
Thanks for the link. I don't believe that self leveling is unique to the Prodigy or to 'digital' brake controllers.

BarryC,
I think the same company makes the controllers for Reese and Drawtite. I'll try and find my paperwork at home for my Drawtite and list the manufacturer.

skl,
Waiting is the worst part! I've not seen any posts regarding problems with analog controllers in the Cayenne.

Again, I'm not flaming controllers or people's choices in controllers, I'm just curious on a technical basis......as my wife often reminds me....I need to get a life
Old 06-29-2004, 09:44 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Apart from a display issue the Prodigy seems to work fine, my only long journey with it was up in the mountains and all I can say is that it works fine.

I think the display is reacting to signals on the Cayenne cables, but as I tend not to look down to much when I am driving the only time it was a bit annoying was in the dark, but thats what a handkerchief is for right.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:10 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 581 Posts

Mudd, I'm assuming you don't have the Prodigy wired to the brake switch then? I would assume wiring it that way would cure the flashing lights...
Old 06-29-2004, 02:20 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No I have not re-wired it yet, I just put my handkerchief over it so the flashing display doesn't distract me at night.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:10 PM
BarryC
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 46 Posts

Well, I wired up the Reese controller tonight and I've got no brakes. The controller has power (a light comes on when I press the brake pedal) but there isn't any braking coming from the trailer. I double checked my connections and they are ok. I wired the controller the following way using the VW connector parts that were mentioned in another post:

Vehicle to Controller wire color:
Brown to White (ground)
Red/Yellow to Black (12V)
Black/Red to Red (brake signal)
Blue to Blue (brake)

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've got a track event this weekend and if I can't get the brakes to work - how much of a problem will it be to tow without brakes? I'll be towing approx 5,500 lbs including trailer, car and gear.

Thanks in advance,
Barry

Quick Reply: analog vs digital brake controller