Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum in oil 2010 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 10:15 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,796 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Are you talking about the grinding marks on the bumpy sections?
If so those are part of the manufacturing process where the ridge from casting/forging the bkank was ground off.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:17 PM
Badchoice
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, posted wrong photos. Meant the wear on the lobes, circled in red.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:52 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,509 Likes on 4,145 Posts

Usually cam lobe wear happens right on the tip. Are those semicircular areas just dark spots that are smooth with the cam surface or are they ridged where the metal is missing?

If they're smooth and even like the surface I wouldn't worry about them. Might have something to do with how the variocam plus engages and disengages. If they're notched, that's a problem.

These are hardened steel so aluminum wouldn't come from there.and they look pristine on the surface except for that dark area. If it's the same on every cam.lobe in the same area, I don't think it's anything.

Last edited by Petza914; Yesterday at 12:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Badchoice (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 11:38 PM
Badchoice
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Usually cam lobe wear happens right on the tip. Are those semicircular areas just dark spots that are smooth with the cam surface or are they ridged where the metal is missing?

If they're smooth and even like the surface I wouldn't worry about them. Might have something to do with how the variocam plus engages and disengages. If they're notched, that's a problem.

These are hardened steel so aluminum wouldn't come from there.and they look pristine on the surface except for that dark area. If it's the same on every cam.lobe in the same area, I don't think it's anything.
Thank you for the explanation. Definitely not the issue. I tested the vvt selonoid, seems to click good. Ill try to find cam adjuster torque specs, and check those since I'm here, but I doubt my issue will ne found under the valve cover (unfortunately)

Last edited by Petza914; Yesterday at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-25-2024, 11:39 PM
Badchoice
Cruisin'

Here are the oil analysis results some of you asked for. Universal averages are on the right.
Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM
Badchoice
Cruisin'

I also forgot to mention besides the camshaft code, I had a valve lift code as well, P1354 I believe.
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Badchoice
I also forgot to mention besides the camshaft code, I had a valve lift code as well, P1354 I believe.
I don't know it it's related to your issues but this thread goes over diagnosing P1354 on a 957. Several people suggested that it could be a vacuum leak, coils, a stuck lifter or failing solenoid. The OP apparently fixed his issue (primarily a bad idle) by having the injectors replaced. Since you have some aluminum and other metals in your oil, my guess is a lifter is sticking, but it's just a guess.
Badchoice (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM
RealPolItiK
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hard to read one oil analysis and draw sound conclusions but here's a quick assessment:
  • Fuel dilution and bore scoring go hand in hand. Your fuel dilution seems slightly high (assuming 'Fuel %' is that test). Try a fuel additive with PEA and use only top tier or ethanol-free fuel (good luck finding any).
  • Your viscosity at 100°C is on the low side at 11.1. If you're running 0W or 5W 40, those numbers I believe should be between 12.5–16.3. You're losing your viscosity/protection due to the fuel dilution.
  • Your bores are aluminum with silicon impregnated in them so when looking at your elevated silicon and iron numbers (iron is likely from your piston skirts), along with aluminum in the stratosphere, your alarm bells going off is warranted.
If no knocking at idle, bringing down that fuel dilution to stymie the wear metals should improve viscosity and maybe you'll buy yourself some time. Good idea on the MoS2 and addressing the codes. Curious if the oil looked like metallic paint? Any carbon buildup around the valve seats?

Badchoice (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM
theprf
Race Car

Originally Posted by Badchoice

Sorry, posted wrong photos. Meant the wear on the lobes, circled in red.
I have that wear pattern on my 996 Turbo and I assume it's from the variocam plus variable valve lift system.

The variocam plus lifters do tend to self destruct so if you have the intake cams out it's worth taking the intake lifters out to see if they are all still in one piece. They are not cheap... around $120 each for the 996 Turbo and probably similar for the Cayenne V8. Whatever you do, do not mix up the lifters. They must go back where they came from.

Last edited by theprf; Yesterday at 10:17 PM.
Badchoice (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,509 Likes on 4,145 Posts

Originally Posted by RealPolItiK
Hard to read one oil analysis and draw sound conclusions but here's a quick assessment:
  • Fuel dilution and bore scoring go hand in hand. Your fuel dilution seems slightly high (assuming 'Fuel %' is that test). Try a fuel additive with PEA and use only top tier or ethanol-free fuel (good luck finding any).
  • Your viscosity at 100°C is on the low side at 11.1. If you're running 0W or 5W 40, those numbers I believe should be between 12.5–16.3. You're losing your viscosity/protection due to the fuel dilution.
  • Your bores are aluminum with silicon impregnated in them so when looking at your elevated silicon and iron numbers (iron is likely from your piston skirts), along with aluminum in the stratosphere, your alarm bells going off is warranted.
If no knocking at idle, bringing down that fuel dilution to stymie the wear metals should improve viscosity and maybe you'll buy yourself some time. Good idea on the MoS2 and addressing the codes. Curious if the oil looked like metallic paint? Any carbon buildup around the valve seats?
That's actually a normal fuel dilution reading for almost all Porsche DFI engines (957 Cayennes, 997.2 911s, etc). The older port injected engines usually show TR for trace or zero, but not the DFI motors.

Here's my 09 Turbo S that's shown those kinds of fuel numbers and even a hair higher since I've owned it at 30k miles. 100 and 212 viscosity numbers are very consistent and metal wear is pretty much non-existent.

Badchoice (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
theprf
Race Car

One more area that is often overlooked is the oil conducting housing which is on the front of the intake camshaft behind the variable timing sprocket. This thing is an aluminum housing that covers three steel rings that look like piston rings on the camshaft. The rings create two areas for pressure oil to reach the cam sprocket to adjust the valve timing.
One of my 996 Turbos had wandering valve timing on one bank. The "piston rings" on the intake camshaft had disintegrated which prevented the cam timing from being controlled by the ecu. It also showed high iron and aluminum in the oil.
I pulled it apart to find the rings were totally missing and the aluminum housing had extensive wear inside. Replacing the three rings and the oil conducting housing cleared the code and eliminated the iron/aluminum in the oil.
Badchoice (Today)
Old Today, 01:49 AM
Badchoice
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by theprf
One more area that is often overlooked is the oil conducting housing which is on the front of the intake camshaft behind the variable timing sprocket. This thing is an aluminum housing that covers three steel rings that look like piston rings on the camshaft. The rings create two areas for pressure oil to reach the cam sprocket to adjust the valve timing.
One of my 996 Turbos had wandering valve timing on one bank. The "piston rings" on the intake camshaft had disintegrated which prevented the cam timing from being controlled by the ecu. It also showed high iron and aluminum in the oil.
I pulled it apart to find the rings were totally missing and the aluminum housing had extensive wear inside. Replacing the three rings and the oil conducting housing cleared the code and eliminated the iron/aluminum in the oil.

I just had a look at your thread... very interesting. Did you have any cranking/starting issues? Did you find any flakes in the oil?

Quick Reply: Aluminum in oil 2010 Turbo S