Sponsored by:

new pcm/audio unit but lose steering wheel functions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 12:10 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
I doubt your install was any different than Steve's since his uses the MOST adapter just like yours. Your install most likely didn't take more than 3 hours including the backup camera.
The only MOST plug n' play unit is the expensive PCCM+ offered by Porsche. I've seen them as low as $1300 online, and Porsche dealerships charging 2 hours labor to install.
Even the PCCM is still an Android-based radio with a MOST adapter. The PCCM outputs four channels of audio (LF, RF, LR, RR) to a MOST adapter that then works essentially like any aftermarket adapter, except it allows for fading. You can use the PCCM with or without a factory amplifier, so it has to have an internal amp. Too bad, if it also had a direct fiber optic connection then it would avoid the D/A conversion from the adapter. I'm going to sell my Xtrons and Seicane radios I have bought in the last 6 months and go with the PCCM, mostly just because it is more streamlined for the application and more features work like the original PCM.

Last edited by BobcatBrian; 04-16-2024 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:50 PM
aaal
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fantastic picture !!!

NOT WORKING: 1" tweeter mounted in each rear door. I will download a high pitch piece of music and play it to make sure it is not my ears.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:06 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Originally Posted by aaal
A fantastic picture !!!

NOT WORKING: 1" tweeter mounted in each rear door. I will download a high pitch piece of music and play it to make sure it is not my ears.
You shouldn't need to do that. Any music with any singing or anything above 5000Hz is going through those tweeters. You can also cover and uncover the tweeter with your hand to tell if it's working.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:27 PM
aaal
Intermediate

OK, Bob, thank you and I think I now understand the whole picture.

Regarding the small speakers in the rear door, I will play some high pitch music to make sure it is working or not working. Regardless, I probably will not do anything for now until you move to WA and set up shop..

Regarding the subwoofer, I will get someone to help me lift out the spare tire, play some heavy bass music to make sure it is working or not working. Regardless, I probably will not do anything for now until you move to WA and set up shop.

You are right, it is difficult to fit a new system into an old system, especially in the case of an unnecessarily complicated engineered car like the Cayenne. Porsche cars are highly desirable but the German engineers would design and use 3 types of clips when 2 screws would suffice. Nobody would put a starter inside the engine and then put 2 water lines next to the ultra hot starter that needs to be replaced every 2-3 years because of the heat. In my experience, the worst is having to take the car to Porsche to use the money-stealing piwis. No, I now buy Mercedes because a normal scanner would do.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:29 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

My Toyota pickup has the starter in the 'V', complicated designs are the wave of the future. Audi, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Lancia, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Toyota, Volkswagen, SAAB, SKODA, SEAT and Volvo. all use a MOST bus.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:30 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
Even the PCCM is still an Android-based radio with a MOST adapter. The PCCM outputs four channels of audio (LF, RF, LR, RR) to a MOST adapter that then works essentially like any aftermarket adapter, except it allows for fading. You can use the PCCM with or without a factory amplifier, so it has to have an internal amp. Too bad, if it also had a direct fiber optic connection then it would avoid the D/A conversion from the adapter. I'm going to sell my Xtrons and Seicane radios I have bought in the last 6 months and go with the PCCM, mostly just because it is more streamlined for the application and more features work like the original PCM.
Well that sucks, especially at the price they are charging. Do you know if the MOST converter is built into the head unit or separate? If separate and with its own part #, that could be a solution for 4 channels. I have read mixed reviews on that unit, some rather concerning like no AM reception. Plenty of claims that later firmware upgrades will fix issues.

Initially I hated the sound of my CDR-23. One day I turned the Surround setting completely OFF, and holy crap did it come to life! More than adequate for a grocery getter.

I think I'd completely do away with the MOST system if I were to upgrade. New amp, new sub and possibly all new speakers if I couldn't find a decent amp that can handle 2 ohms.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:12 PM
aaal
Intermediate

An excellent statement: New amp, new sub and possibly all new speakers if I couldn't find a decent amp that can handle 2 ohms.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:13 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Originally Posted by 19psi
Well that sucks, especially at the price they are charging. Do you know if the MOST converter is built into the head unit or separate? If separate and with its own part #, that could be a solution for 4 channels. I have read mixed reviews on that unit, some rather concerning like no AM reception. Plenty of claims that later firmware upgrades will fix issues.

Initially I hated the sound of my CDR-23. One day I turned the Surround setting completely OFF, and holy crap did it come to life! More than adequate for a grocery getter.

I think I'd completely do away with the MOST system if I were to upgrade. New amp, new sub and possibly all new speakers if I couldn't find a decent amp that can handle 2 ohms.
It’s a separate box, just like the aftermarket versions. It’s probably made in China too, just to Porsche’s specs.

I think the Bose system actually sounds pretty decent. I would like to experiment with a passive high pass crossover for the front door woofers. They don’t have one now and just roll off naturally…but that causes some distortion that I’d like to clean up. Also, the subwoofer isn’t great, but that’s easily solved. I thought about trying the Burmester speakers as Malibu has done…but if I start replacing speakers I’m going to go for a bigger leap.
The following users liked this post:
19psi (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 08:35 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

For the record my way-rear tiny speakers work. Yay.
I too have been wondering if the PCCM fiber optic adapter would fix the no-fade conundrum. -Until recently with my new rear speakers. I'm happy with the fade now completely.
It is true I can't really hear the 6.5" rear door speakers (partly because I have stuff on the floor blocking them).
I could hear the scratchy Bose 6.5" with the blown voice coil.
But I can definitely hear my new tweeters, and now I'm done since the fade is perfectly where I want it. A true joy to listen to.
With my tinnitus gradually getting worse, I am completely happy with the Bose amp, and usually only have to turn the bass down.
Maybe it's just my subwoofer... did I hear correct that the sub used on cars with no spare and the 2nd battery is bigger? That's my setup.

Also, I installed my Android unit, and maybe I don't understand the meaning of the phrase, but the plug that came with it mated to my factory socket (or vice versa) and then it played.
I don't have a factory back-up camera. The MOST adapter went in the same way as PCCM...
There was no programming of any steering wheel buttons and my mute button works along with the ♫ button to switch sources. volume up/down seek/scan etc...

Last edited by thesteve; 04-16-2024 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:10 PM
aaal
Intermediate

Hey Bob,

My friend helped me to life the spare tire out and there is a circular black "dome" with a speaker at the bottom facing down (please see the picture attached).

This circular black "dome" can be simply unplugged and taken out of the car.

I played a rock music at the loudest level, and this speaker has no sound.

Next to the speaker there is this number: 416 281.

Please let me know: if i can find this circular black "dome" on ebay, can I unplug this circular black "dome, plug in the "ebay" one, and the subwoofer would work again (assuming the "ebay" subwoofer is working).

Many thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:31 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Hey Bob,

My friend helped me to life the spare tire out and there is a circular black "dome" with a speaker at the bottom facing down (please see the picture attached).

This circular black "dome" can be simply unplugged and taken out of the car.

I played a rock music at the loudest level, and this speaker has no sound.

Next to the speaker there is this number: 416 281.

Please let me know: if i can find this circular black "dome" on ebay, can I unplug this circular black "dome, plug in the "ebay" one, and the subwoofer would work again (assuming the "ebay" subwoofer is working).

Many thanks in advance.

That is the Bose subwoofer enclosure, speaker, and amplifier. I had mentioned previously that water intrusion can kill the Bose sub amp…that looks like exactly what’s happened. Before you replace anything, I would clean the spare tire well as best you can then test to see if you still have water getting back there. If you do, fix the problem (clogged rear hatch drains or rear sunroof drains are typical culprits). Then, yes, you can swap the whole enclosure/sub/amp for a used one off eBay.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:56 PM
aaal
Intermediate

Thanks Bob.

Ebay has a couple of this Bose speaker/amplifier so I will order one and will let you know once I receive and put it in.

With the Ebay replacement, I will get the subwoofer working, BUT, is it correct that I still cannot control the output of the subwoofer with my new setup (because there is no link between the subwoofer output of the new Sony unit and the Ebay replacement ?
Old 04-21-2024, 03:00 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Thanks Bob.

Ebay has a couple of this Bose speaker/amplifier so I will order one and will let you know once I receive and put it in.

With the Ebay replacement, I will get the subwoofer working, BUT, is it correct that I still cannot control the output of the subwoofer with my new setup (because there is no link between the subwoofer output of the new Sony unit and the Ebay replacement ?
Correct, you’d need an aftermarket amplifier to independently control the subwoofer volume.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:52 PM
aaal
Intermediate

Thank you Bob and everybody:-

Bought an ebay subwoofer, remove the rusting subwoofer, put in the ebay's, and ,,,,,,, subwoofer working !!!

Absolute magic !!!

Thanks again.

The following users liked this post:
BobcatBrian (04-28-2024)

Quick Reply: new pcm/audio unit but lose steering wheel functions