Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up 09' Turbo S Cayenne 143k concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 12:41 AM
VoilaGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Picking up 09' Turbo S Cayenne 143k concerns?

Hello all,
. I am switching things up from the 911 and want a solid off-road capable build. Any suggestions on things to look at before buying? The vehicle is a 1 owner (female) with little razor clawed dog, rear seats... the body is clean less a cracked rear valance, and cracked DRLs. Starts fine, runs smooth, there is proof of some black soot on the left valve cover near front(determined is debris in spilled oil) pulls fine. Notable issues rear left window off track.?. Rear sway bar line leaking (replacements come with, and there is a thermostat code. Drove it around but did not mess with the diff or 4x4 settings, also air suspension raises and lowers normally, but the ride is a little off, he says it is due to the leak.
TIA!

P.S. is there a way to see service history that is more detailed than Carfax?

Last edited by VoilaGT3; 03-29-2024 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:41 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Concerns? Sure, lots. Is the original owner selling or a dealer? From the picture, it looks like a hole-in-the-wall dealership, which usually means auction car, which the combination of those two things means the car has issues.

All of the normal 957 issues need to be checked...coolant leaks, water intrusion leading to electrical gremlins, pano roof issues (if equipped), and headliner sagging. On a 957 CTTS, I would want to know when the front brake rotors were last changed, as they are very expensive. Be weary of PDCC leaks...I've read if you fix one, the next weak point will start leaking and a total system repair is very expensive.
The following users liked this post:
VoilaGT3 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 04:09 PM
FrenchieDadRS
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
Concerns? Sure, lots. Is the original owner selling or a dealer? From the picture, it looks like a hole-in-the-wall dealership, which usually means auction car, which the combination of those two things means the car has issues.

All of the normal 957 issues need to be checked...coolant leaks, water intrusion leading to electrical gremlins, pano roof issues (if equipped), and headliner sagging. On a 957 CTTS, I would want to know when the front brake rotors were last changed, as they are very expensive. Be weary of PDCC leaks...I've read if you fix one, the next weak point will start leaking and a total system repair is very expensive.
The good thing is that all of these issues are known or knowable and can be easily discovered by a competent technician.
It all depends on the price.

The V8 engine itself is very solid. No fatal bore scoring issues on 2009+ model years.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrenchieDadRS:
BobcatBrian (03-28-2024), VoilaGT3 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 04:19 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

You could ask the shop(s) listed by Carfax for the service records. P does not make available the service history, in the US.

I just replaced the T stat to address lingering water temp issues. About 5 hours labor and $400 in parts, water pump included.

Confirm that this is actually a Turbo S. A local used car dealer had a Turbo S wanna be on their lot.

Last edited by v10rick; 03-28-2024 at 04:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by v10rick:
BobcatBrian (03-28-2024), VoilaGT3 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 09:11 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,619 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Turbo S has a dark volcano grey intake plenum instead of a black one, a different front trim piece on the engine, and all aluminum intercoolers. The interior console switches should also be silver to denote PDCC equipped as that was standard on a turbo S. If the switches are black, it's not a Turbo S.

Plugs, coil packs, transmission fluid and filter, front and rear diff fluids, front rotor wear, upper and lower control arm bushing wear.
VoilaGT3 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 03:32 AM
VoilaGT3
Rennlist Member

Wow a lot of great things to look at, many thanks!
I checked over again and bought it. It came with the updated rear sway bar lines, I will have installed, there are no leaks(oil or water) underside is clean, paint is crystal, couple little dings and a cracked rear valance where I can tell someone most likely backed into something and the monster tips broke it. The guy is a mechanic, did buy it from auction(was a 1 owner) after a DUI he moved back with his parents (their seedy car lot garagedad is a 30 year Honda/ Acura mech retired) and is selling off toys. I hope all is on the up and up. There is an odd wind noise when the pano is closed, opens and adjusts correctly, no sign of the porsche interior leak, the armrest is total crap feeling... creaky, squeaky, solid just crap, ride modes not working right(sway bar hose leak) air ride is spot on and smooth, brakes look fine although one time in a 30 mile trip the did shimmy. I need a tutor on this thing though, so many buttons and what is the weird speaker grill center dash with an A/C vent dial on the front of it? Oh and it is a genuine Turbo S, I really appreciate the warning signs, but trust me I was on that lol.

Last edited by VoilaGT3; 03-29-2024 at 04:06 AM.
BobcatBrian (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 03:42 AM
VoilaGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v10rick
You could ask the shop(s) listed by Carfax for the service records. P does not make available the service history, in the US.

I just replaced the T stat to address lingering water temp issues. About 5 hours labor and $400 in parts, water pump included.

Confirm that this is actually a Turbo S. A local used car dealer had a Turbo S wanna be on their lot.
I will give this a shot, only thing our Porsche dealer found was new driveshaft in 14'. Apparently they only show warranty work. I plan on tackling the thermo/water pump soon, serpentine shows some cracking(better safe...) Thx!

Last edited by VoilaGT3; 03-29-2024 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Congrats. The 957 Turbo S is what I consider to be the epitome of the Cayenne model range (all years and all models) and why I have the same car.

Last edited by Petza914; 03-29-2024 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:02 AM
VoilaGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Congrats. The 957 Turbo S is what I consider to be the epitome of the Cayenne model range (all years and all models) and why I have the same car.
Thanks, I have loved the body for a long time.
currently descending the rabbit hole "Thinking of buying" sticky

Would you share a pic? Any good sources for used parts or good aftermarket? (Rear valance/ front signals cracked)

Last edited by Petza914; 03-29-2024 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ViolaGT3
Thanks, I have loved the body for a long time.
currently descending the rabbit hole "Thinking of buying" sticky

Would you share a pic? Any good sources for used parts or good aftermarket? (Rear valance/ front signals cracked)
A pic of mine? Sure. This is what it looked like when I bought it and whatnot looks like now

Mine is such low mileage it really hasn't needed any parts but I buyoat of my Porsche and Audi parts from FCP Euro for their lifetime guarantee.

Rennline has some nice aftermarket accessories. Performance parts from FVD, Evolution Motorsports, and Hanksville Hot Rods.

​​​​​​.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:54 AM
VoilaGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
A pic of mine? Sure. This is what it looked like when I bought it and whatnot looks like now

Mine is such low mileage it really hasn't needed any parts but I buyoat of my Porsche and Audi parts from FCP Euro for their lifetime guarantee.

Rennline has some nice aftermarket accessories. Performance parts from FVD, Evolution Motorsports, and Hanksville Hot Rods.

​​​​​​.
*(jaw drops) both stunning! Thank you for the parts suppliers, I am considering a kit... the rear bumper has a stress and the valance is toast, so I would like to see some nice options. Good to see EvoMo has Cayenne options.

Quick Reply: Picking up 09' Turbo S Cayenne 143k concerns?