Sponsored by:

Rear hatch issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 03:29 PM
jAndrewH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear hatch issue

Read about lots of tailgate opening issues, but not this. Hoping to find someone with the same issue and a solution.

The tailgate opens fine from the remote, as well as from the driver door switch. It does not open if I try the switch above the tag- nothing happens. If the tailgate is open an inch, just enough for the latch that pulls it tight is released then the tailgate will open the rest of the way when I use the switch above the tag. It closes and latches fine automatically or if I manually push the tailgate down.

So an issue with whatever olonoid that undoes that latch? If so, where to start on the solution? Hate to just start taking it all apart without a plan.

Last edited by jAndrewH; 01-24-2024 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:49 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I could not fully understand your post, but this thread I started contains info and photos on that button/handle thing, which was the problem in my 2004 S.

2004 S Rear lid won't open - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Hopefully all that is helpful and gives you some direction for debugging and solving this.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:19 PM
jAndrewH
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link.

My issue, it seems, is different. The hatch/tailgate opens fine with the remote and via the drivers door but not with the button/switch above the tag. After it is open an inch or so with the remote and I then cancel the opening with the remote I can push the button above the tag and it works fine- just not when it is closed all the way.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:57 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jAndrewH
Thanks for the link.

My issue, it seems, is different. The hatch/tailgate opens fine with the remote and via the drivers door but not with the button/switch above the tag. After it is open an inch or so with the remote and I then cancel the opening with the remote I can push the button above the tag and it works fine- just not when it is closed all the way.
That sounds like the switch on the hatch is bad or has a loose connection. If it works from the remote and the drivers door, it’s not a latch issue.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (01-25-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 10:09 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,046 Posts

The latch on the bottom of the hatch has a 2-stage microswitch. It sounds like one stage of that microswitch is no longer working.
The latch can be removed without disassembling the interior trim, just remove the square emergency cap to disconnect the linkage. Then undo the 2 torx bolts holding the latch. Reach in between the latch and the tailgate to unplug the wire, remove the latch.
Use needle nose pliers or a hemostat to plug the wires back in.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:32 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
The latch on the bottom of the hatch has a 2-stage microswitch. It sounds like one stage of that microswitch is no longer working.
The latch can be removed without disassembling the interior trim, just remove the square emergency cap to disconnect the linkage. Then undo the 2 torx bolts holding the latch. Reach in between the latch and the tailgate to unplug the wire, remove the latch.
I don’t see how the latch could be faulty and the hatch still opens via the remote and door button. Unless the hatch release circuit only sees one stage of the latch microswitch for the remote and door button, and it needs both for the hatch release button on the hatch itself. That’s crazy town!
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 06:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,947 Posts

The potential to cause more issues seems to exist with your scenario. Honestly, I'd just decide to use the driver's door release or the remote that both work and leave it be.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:41 AM
jAndrewH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
The potential to cause more issues seems to exist with your scenario. Honestly, I'd just decide to use the driver's door release or the remote that both work and leave it be.
Having several quirky vehicles that is always in the back of my mind. I just hate when everything does not work as it should.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:41 AM
jAndrewH
Rennlist Member

This makes the most sense since it operates as it should after the latch is open. Will look for a used replacement to check.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:48 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I believe a new one is less than $50. Don't overpay for a used one.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:32 AM
jAndrewH
Rennlist Member

I believe a new one is less than $50. Don't overpay for a used one.
Okay, thanks, will check all the options.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch issue