Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone seen this? Engine had a poof of smoked and died. Wont start now.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 11:40 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 163 Posts
Exclamation Anyone seen this? Engine had a poof of smoked and died. Wont start now.

Hey all,
Having an interesting morning. Pulling out of the drive way the engine bay made a poof of smoke (I have hood vents for turbo heat here in Az - aftermarket) and it rolled out of the hood vents then into the cabin. Not sure of the smell or just exhaust but no Antifreeze or coolant flavor to it. Then within seconds the motor died and it will not restart. No leaks from under and nothing looks out of place.

Any ideas out there as to what to look at first. It just turns over with no kick to it whatsoever. No noises, rattles, knocks etc and has been running perfectly. Does have 143K miles on her but no issues till today.

Snide or comedic comments encouraged, I could use them at the moment.

Cheers, Mike
Old 12-19-2023, 12:11 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Time to push it over to Sean Murtha
Old 12-19-2023, 01:08 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Scan for codes and report findings.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:14 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phatz
Time to push it over to Sean Murtha
From the West side that's a long push LOL.

Only code registered was P2310 "D" primary control circuit high
I cleared it and tried to start and same thing. Turns over continuously until I shut off the ignition. Not sure that is normal. Once the starter is engaged it will keep turning over even with the key in Run position. Seems strange but OK.

All I know so far. Thoughts ?.
The following users liked this post:
phatz (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 02:41 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Is look around to see if the was a small wiring issue. A major short could cause the puff of smoke and some fried insulation and burned harness somewhere

Rodents have a tendency to check on things
Old 12-19-2023, 04:50 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by notthd
From the West side that's a long push LOL.

Only code registered was P2310 "D" primary control circuit high
I cleared it and tried to start and same thing. Turns over continuously until I shut off the ignition. Not sure that is normal. Once the starter is engaged it will keep turning over even with the key in Run position. Seems strange but OK.

All I know so far. Thoughts ?.
Does the tach needle move or bounce when you’re cranking?

Last edited by BobcatBrian; 12-19-2023 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:02 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

crank position señsor, just a thought
Old 12-19-2023, 06:06 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

I thought of the crank positioner also. Have'nt had time to check on it yet and figure out how to test it.

Some odd things that may be related. I off road my Cayenne and during a 70degree hill climb (yes almost straight up) I lost throttle. It would still idle but had no pedal. Once back on level ground problem disappeared. 1/2 tank of fuel when it occurred. Recently I had misfires occurring. I replaced coils and issue went away. A couple of months later I am getting "running to lean" codes intermittently on both banks. Keeps occurring but not constantly. Car runs or did run perfect. Wondering now if I had a fuel pump issue in one or now both.

Hummmmm????
Cheers, Mike

Last edited by notthd; 12-19-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:10 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
Does the tech needle move or bounce when you’re cranking?
It doesn't bounce but after a second or two it moves off zero up to 500rpm while cranking and stays there until I stop the starter. Crank sensor most likely is working correct?
BobcatBrian (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 09:18 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Sounds like what I experienced when my first attempt at repairing this tube with regular heat shrink tubing failed (see link below).
The tube blew open and produced a puff of smoke. Then it wouldn't start again.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-tubing-2.html

Oh, forgot to mention, after using the proper high-temp, clear heat shrink, I eventually had to replace the crankshaft position sensor for intermittent no-starts.

Last edited by thesteve; 12-19-2023 at 09:23 PM.
BobcatBrian (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 08:40 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,193 Likes on 3,949 Posts

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
Does the tach needle move or bounce when you’re cranking?
This. When cranking the tach needle should jump up and down a little as it senses engine rotation. If it doesn't know where the crank is, it won't fire the spark or fuel.

My guess is the CPS failed, you got a backfire back through the intake from a mistimed fuel r spark pulse and now it can't see engine rotation.

You should also check the airboxes and filters to make sure nothing was damaged if it was a backfire.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:56 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

All good stuff, thank you. I will get to look at it in more detail tomorrow.

Cheers Mike
Old 12-20-2023, 01:45 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by notthd
... Turns over continuously until I shut off the ignition. Not sure that is normal. Once the starter is engaged it will keep turning over even with the key in Run position. Seems strange but OK...
On this specific clue, minor comment ...
Not sure what kind of car you've got there, but on my 2004 S when I was doing a compression test during my PPI, I found that the engine cranking would automatically stop after an exact amount of time (or maybe revs?), like about 10 seconds (i.e., even with the key still held all the way to START, it would stop cranking after 10 seconds). This was useful for repeatability in making good compression measurements. But anyway, for you, the fact that this feature to stop cranking seems to be gone might be a clue.

Other than that, I'm thinking some sort of CPS failure makes sense. Going all the way back to the sudden death and puff of smoke - maybe CPS failure caused a cylinder firing at completely wrong phase, sending smoke back out the intake.

Putting those together, if the stop-cranking code counts revs rather than time, and the CPS means it can't count revs, that would explain what you're seeing.
Old 12-21-2023, 01:10 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oldskewel
On this specific clue, minor comment ...
Not sure what kind of car you've got there, but on my 2004 S when I was doing a compression test during my PPI, I found that the engine cranking would automatically stop after an exact amount of time (or maybe revs?), like about 10 seconds (i.e., even with the key still held all the way to START, it would stop cranking after 10 seconds). This was useful for repeatability in making good compression measurements. But anyway, for you, the fact that this feature to stop cranking seems to be gone might be a clue.

Other than that, I'm thinking some sort of CPS failure makes sense. Going all the way back to the sudden death and puff of smoke - maybe CPS failure caused a cylinder firing at completely wrong phase, sending smoke back out the intake.

Putting those together, if the stop-cranking code counts revs rather than time, and the CPS means it can't count revs, that would explain what you're seeing.
Totally agree. I was unaware of the time out in cranking. It makes perfect sense that if the car does not have a solid CPS it doesn't time out so to speak. Counts total vs. duration seems logical related to the starter. The smoke also explained if it failed and backfired.

I ordered a new CPS for first attempt. Amazons for $14 bucks arrives today to troubleshoot and Bosch for Pelican parts arrives tommorrow. Hopefuly I can at least get it out of the street. My drive is narrow and slightly uphill. Welcome to Phoenix suburbia.. It is a 09TT. Thanks for the insight.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by notthd; 12-21-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2023, 01:53 PM
BrianC72gt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

So, thinking about a common point of failure that would take out all cylinders and won't throw a code, my wild assed guess is the high pressure fuel pump. Or it could be the low side pumps. At 143k, your low pressure pumps (in the tank) are beyond past due for change out. Is there a banjo bolt to access the low side and the back of the engine bay? I vaguely recall a simple inline disconnect joint on my 04TT (old school manifold mounted port injectors). There are two fuses (again in an 04) under hood in the cowl area...fuse numbers 13 & 14 in 957 (confirm which ones) .. that power the two pumps in the saddlebag tank under the back seats. Test the output of each pump by pulling one fuse, then put it back and pull the other. When mine died, one was completely dead and the other started going intermittent.

I don't know what code(s), if any, a failure of the high-pressure pump would throw.

Edit - I like the previously suggested emissions hose from the check valves to the intake manifold. The rupture would explain the puff of smoke and the break allows unmetered air which makes starting a challenge. You can remove the ends from the broken pipe and use some reinforced PCV rated hose. I did mine with reinforced silicone hose and hose clamps.

Happy sleuthing,

Brian

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 12-21-2023 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone seen this? Engine had a poof of smoked and died. Wont start now.