Cayenne vs. luxury sedans

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:15 PM
roee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne vs. luxury sedans

Hey guys,

I was wondering how the Cayenne S compares to some luxury sedans like the 7 series, S class, and their lesser siblings (5 and E).
I'm talking about comfort and driving enjoyment, less about pure luxury (I'm sure they beat the Cayenne there).

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:45 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW what a question !

For comfort do you mean isolation from the road ala Lexus or do you mean effortless long range with no aches and pains over every terrain without mental stress ? because you would get 2 answers.

In my S with Air, the comfort setting is as good as I have driven in the past, on sport its very firm. You are involved with the Cayenne, the E and the 7's your not.

For driving enjoyment, imho the Cayenne wins without any really close competition. I have not owned a car that I feel so in touch with, the new car buzz is still there after a year, in fact its grown during that time as I learn how to drive it.

Whats behind your questions ?
Old 05-27-2004, 03:13 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Being only a novice driver with the Cayenne S (having mine for three days now) I am amazed at how comfortable the Cayenne is, yet how well it handles when pushed.

The air suspension and the tuneable shocks I am sure play a big part in this (as might my 19" rims) but the Cayeene is hands down for me a more enjoyable and comfortable vehicle than my 2000 740i was...
Old 05-27-2004, 05:40 PM
roee
Intermediate

Thanks for the answers. I hope this isn't another matter that has been debated to death before

I'm inquiring because no body around seems to compare the Cayenne to anything, not even in its class, let alone in others.

I'm really hoping to be in the position of buying one sometime in the future, and I'm quite curious about what kind of vehicle is it - compared to luxury cars, compared to other SUVs, and even compared to proper sports cars, as it claims to combine all three.

Thanks again
Old 05-27-2004, 05:45 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

And does a great job of all.

You nailed it.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:49 PM
loudes13
User

I sell all three brands. I've had people come in to buy an E500 and buy a Cayenne, come in to buy a Cayenne and buy the 5.

The Cayenne can compare with the lux/sport sedans. It just offers awd, and real room for cargo or dogs. food for thought...
Old 05-27-2004, 05:58 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Am anxiously awaiting a CS with air which is hopefully getting ready for a ship as we speak. Figure it will replace a '97 540i sport which was a great car except on the worse Iowa winter days (even with snows). I prefer a manual but actually an auto fits this vehicle better anyway and when I'm towing (something impossible with a sedan) I don't want a stick anyway. This way I can sell the pickup tow vehicle- my wife would never drive the truck anyway because it was too big. She can't wait for the Cayenne!
Old 05-27-2004, 06:38 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by skl
my wife would never drive the truck anyway because it was too big. She can't wait for the Cayenne!
Just tell her to get used to the wide girth of the Cayenne!
Old 05-27-2004, 06:53 PM
roee
Intermediate

Anyone cares to elaborate a bit?
A 5 series would be a great reference.
How does it compare on ride (which IMHO is near perfect on the old 5), and handling?
Old 05-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Harbormaster
Instructor

I'm simply amazed at the comfort level this "truck" offers. Recently returned from a 1200 mile trip to Canada and have never been less fatigued from driving long hours at a stretch. My comparison car was an Audi S8.....not a bad product, either. Obviously, the cost of fuel was a sad comparison but the fun factor made up for that.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:37 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

JFS- my wife is driving a MCS now- the Cayenne will be a "little" bigger won't it???
Old 05-28-2004, 01:03 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a Cayenne V6 and a new 'Bangled' 525i within a few days of each other. Note: the Cayenne had metal springs, and the 5 had regular (not sports) suspension. Both were great. The 5 felt like a very solid silky smooth limousine, very refined. The Cayenne felt equally luxurious, solid and refined, but at the same time had an extra dash of sportiness and fun, kind of like an oversize dune buggy or an overgrown VW bug. I almost scratched my head after driving the Cayenne--something that size should
have handled a lot worse. For example the Volvo XC90 in my opinion drives very "truck"-ish and everyone tells me, well what do you expect, look at it's size! The Cayenne is smaller than a XC90 but to me it still drives more like a luxury sports sedan than even some sports sedans, and has no truckishness in it.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:55 AM
roee
Intermediate

Sounds quite impressive for every vehicle, let alone a SUV

What about on-limit handling, like on a track? I know some of the board members autocross their Cayennes, how does it fare there?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:23 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"For example the Volvo XC90 in my opinion drives very "truck"-ish "

we were all set to buy the XC90 T6 - until we drove the CT. after that the XC90 which we previously thought seemed luxurious felt like a rough riding cheap interior quality SUV. nothing compared after that with the exception of the Lexus GX470 but it was too ugly (even more so than the CT) and lacked the power and sportiness of the CT. yet, it very pleasantly surprised us though it was probably due to such low initial expectations. interestingly, we walked away from the S testdrive several months ago completely underwhelmed. however, after riding around leipzig ***** out in the turbo, it became apparent the CT is in an entirely differently class. we've also had an 00 540IA sport. they seem pretty similar to me in many respects (power, luxury, handling, etc) though the hood slanted toward the ground from the windshield makes for very nice visability. the back seat was definetely more roomy in the 5, but the front is pretty similar. there was probably about the same amount of room in the 5 trunk as in the CT. lastly, the g-teched times to 60 in that 540 were 5.7 pre chip and 5.55 post which is just about where the CT ranks. but, i doubt the 540IA would match the box S on the ring as does the CT.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:49 AM
ozr
Racer

Thumbs up

540sport sits (performs) really in the middle between Cay TT and Cay S.
540 is a good reference point for such comparison. My new CayS really reminds me A LOT of my previous 1998 540Sport, they are very close...
I usually call it among my friends my "old UTILITARIAN 540sport".

Actually, CayenneS performs just a little slower, than 540 in 0-60, but gains A LOT of momentum around 80-90 (about the same as 540), and after that...90-120, I strongly feel CayS is better performer, than 540.

Just you'll still feel CayS weight/size...in speed lane change manoeuvre or similar...

...it reminds me my first CayS test drive...
The first idea came to my mind, while test driving it... it handles/performes NOT like regular SUV, but MORE LIKE good lux German V8 SEDAN.

Last edited by ozr; 06-02-2004 at 02:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs. luxury sedans