Door will not open

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 01:05 PM
TheDad
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door will not open

Hello all wise and powerful owners,

How do I open my door? Lol I have owned this used 2006 Cayenne Turbo for about 4 days (4 minutes of actually driving it) and I can't get in the car. I'm too big to climb over inside, I've banged around trying to unlock it, it feels like everything is connected and I can hear it locking and unlocking it just won't open. Anyone got any tricks?
Old 03-20-2023, 04:04 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you get it open? If not maybe there's a problem with the actual door handle. Can you open it from the inside?
Old 03-21-2023, 12:54 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

There is a thread recently about how to adjust the door unlocking mechanism. I need to tackle this project soon as my CTTS is getting more and more difficult to get out of. I have to use my shoulder to open the door. I'll see if I can find the thread.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,248 Likes on 3,979 Posts

Here's my thread that might help

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-caye...rable-fix.html
The following users liked this post:
TheDad (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 10:23 AM
TheDad
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get the door open yet. Thank you for the link, I saw that but I can't get the door open to start fixing it. I've banged, pushed, and pulled the door so much that I've dented it slightly ☹️. My next step is to take off the back door completely so I can access the screw holding in the lock, then hopefully get a hook inside and push around till it opens.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:11 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
That's it! Thanks.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:20 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks Petza914... I used your write up to attempt to adjust the door release cable. I was successful in getting the outer sorted perfectly, but at every notch on the adjustment mechanism, the inner wouldn't work. Upon pulling the inner handle, I can hear the cable moving but the latch doesn't release. I can pull the lever and bang my elbow into the door and it will open. I suspect that something has gone wrong on the interior handle end of the system- possibly the clip that holds the cable sheathing in place has failed or come loose.

A couple of quick notes on @Petza914 's write up above. There is a second t6 star drive above the t20 which is secured with locktight. Be very careful as you back this out- I broke off my bit in the screw and had a real time getting it out. It needs to be backed out about 4mm, not necessarily removed. The second thing is the t20- back it out ONLY 12 revolutions or you will have a real challenge getting it back together. Remember, one half of the clip is to the inside, and one to the outside of the screw. Also, slightly pull out on the handle to help release and replace the lock mechanism. Thanks to a TREG forum member for these tips.

When you tighten everything back up, note that both screws should be centered roughly in the openings. I used a small screwdriver to get things aligned. It is easy to get the mechanism out of alignment and waste a lot of time on the remedy.

I will post the results of my inner door handle adventure when I find the time to tackle it this week.

Last edited by TomF; 03-27-2023 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:58 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Dang it. I replaced the window regulator in the back/right door including an unexpexted number of snags, this being the latest.

After getting the thing put together, I fiddled with the door handle, and got it all working just fine.

then I drove away, presumably auto-locking the door, which now will not open from inner or outer latches.

so how do I get the door open, or access to adjust it all, if the door just will not open?

any idears welcome, thanks!
Old 01-20-2024, 12:05 PM
stratos1
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crozzer
Dang it. I replaced the window regulator in the back/right door including an unexpexted number of snags, this being the latest.

After getting the thing put together, I fiddled with the door handle, and got it all working just fine.

then I drove away, presumably auto-locking the door, which now will not open from inner or outer latches.

so how do I get the door open, or access to adjust it all, if the door just will not open?

any idears welcome, thanks!
It hapenned to me also, took me a couple of days to figure out how and what is needed to do, so I will try to explain as best as I can, the door ouside handle it has a release wire connected to it. This you can only see it when you remove the lock, but the issue you have you cant remove the lock because the door is closed. So, what you have to do is pull the door handle and you can see the plastic leg that the release wire fits in it, get a 4-5 mm drill bit and drill that plasic leg about 1 cm then with a thin screw driver you can pry out the cable, once that is done the lock meckanism resets and you can open the door from inside.See the photo attached where you need to drill

Old 01-22-2024, 12:16 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stratos1
It hapenned to me also, took me a couple of days to figure out how and what is needed to do, so I will try to explain as best as I can, the door ouside handle it has a release wire connected to it. This you can only see it when you remove the lock, but the issue you have you cant remove the lock because the door is closed. So, what you have to do is pull the door handle and you can see the plastic leg that the release wire fits in it, get a 4-5 mm drill bit and drill that plasic leg about 1 cm then with a thin screw driver you can pry out the cable, once that is done the lock meckanism resets and you can open the door from inside.See the photo attached where you need to drill

Hmmm. I don't think it is possible to drill that leg where those yellow and blue arrows are, while it is on the car... Is it?
My best idea at this point is to drill or hack that leg apart where I can see it when pulling the handle out from the outside (very little access), hope I can get it to reset, then likely replace that hacked-up handle. Is there any other way to reset the latch and get it open, when it is stuck closed like this?

The other idea I have is to drill an access hole through the inner panel, but that's dicey drilling a blind hole like that...

I can't have been the only person to have ever backed themself into a corner like this. Maybe @Petza914 has an idea?

thanks!
Old 01-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,248 Likes on 3,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Crozzer
Hmmm. I don't think it is possible to drill that leg where those yellow and blue arrows are, while it is on the car... Is it?
My best idea at this point is to drill or hack that leg apart where I can see it when pulling the handle out from the outside (very little access), hope I can get it to reset, then likely replace that hacked-up handle. Is there any other way to reset the latch and get it open, when it is stuck closed like this?

The other idea I have is to drill an access hole through the inner panel, but that's dicey drilling a blind hole like that...

I can't have been the only person to have ever backed themself into a corner like this. Maybe @Petza914 has an idea?

thanks!
Wish I did. My door was able to be opened so I could fix.it.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:11 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Thanks Petza.

this pos@oldskewel seems to describe my issue perfectly.

not sure what to do from here.

alldata helpfully adds that we should test thoroughly before closing or door damage could result. Thanks for that, earlier Crosby, for failing to RTFM.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:43 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Minor progress thanks to other threads and

was able to release the cable from the exterior handle, but still no go.

just use a small pick or screwdriver and you can unseat the cable enough that it retracts about 5-10 mm. Unfortunately, this did not reset the mechanism for me.

somebody save me!
😜

Pop off the little plastic cap

Pull handle out
Old 01-23-2024, 05:39 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Default SOLVED

TLDR - solved my issue. Actually rather easy - use some wedges on the outside until you can see the wire being pulled by the exterior handle. Use a slim jim (or bent ruler in my case), to prod that latch all the way to reset. You should hear a click. More importantly, you should now be able to use the door properly.

watch the YouTube videos referenced above to understand the latch that needs to be reset. Basically just help the thingy attached to the cable coming from the exterior handle, to keep rotating all the way home in the direction it rotates when you release the handle.

Note the preferred route here is to use the installation spring, and to test before locking the door...

Window wedges, bent ruler or slim Jim, reset the latch. Good to go.

Trying to show the latch. Wiggle the handle to show yourself where to poke with the ruler.

Last edited by Crozzer; 01-23-2024 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Door will not open