Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light Cylinder Scoring - Ceratec? Moly? Engine Restore?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 12:40 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
George,

I bought my 08 CTT primarily because of the story that bore scoring only affected the NA versions. Eight badly scored cylinders and $30k+ in repair costs later and I am warning as many people as possible about the POS that a CTT can be. I only wish there was someone like you to set the record straight about 5 years ago.

Seven of the eight cylinders on my 08 Cayenne Turbo looked like this. Couldn't find a picture of the 8th bore but I am sure it was similar. Pretty sure a coating wasn't fixing this.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
Just to be clear, my post wasn't towards you. It's just that wrinkledpants guy was such a Porsche fanboy, his legacy still irritates me (I wouldn't doubt that an FCP blog got their info from some of his posts). You could point out all the people coming into this forum with scored turbo engines and he'd excuse it as a miniscule fluke causality that all car manufacturers experience. And when someone would complain about their trashed 70K mile engine, he'd literally get upset and tell them they should be able to afford to repair their $100,000 SUV.

It's like when I was researching the 928, except instead of fanboys, it was Debbie Downers (something I've never experienced in any other car or motorcycle group). At first I was devastated to find out that my dream car was considered an impossible to repair piece of garbage. Everything including a timing belt change was supposedly a $5000 job, and if you can't do it yourself, there's only one mechanic on the planet who can do it correctly.
Then I realized the "difficult and expensive to maintain" mindset was created by about 5 guys who lived on these forums 24/7...boomers who put their man-cards (and *****) in a shredder sometime back in the 1970s. The kind of guys who would curl up and die if you told them to change out a starter or alternator on a V8 Cayenne.
They (with the help of Google search) did keep the 928 market down compared to other Porsches, which was a good thing if you were looking to buy. As that group slowly disappears and forum membership grows, those old posts get buried and the truth comes out...values are going up accordingly.
928s are awesome. Original engines regularly go 300k-400k miles. I don't find them any more difficult to fix than any other car and they were made back when automotive components were metal instead of plastic, so things don't crumble apart in your hands when you go to remove them, there are tons of parts available, and a lot of helpful people on the forum here.

I DD an 84 Euro S and would jump in and drive it anywhere without a second thought- it's at the airport right now.

The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
brett968 (01-19-2023), Oldylr (02-01-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 12:56 PM
Jamescoop
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got into it with the Cayenne mob a few years ago...maybe same guy...because I didnt want to spend $1200 on brakes on a $2000 car. HIS might have been $100k, but mine was $2k lol. Breeds a different attitude.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:02 PM
Jamescoop
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoloRacer

Seven of the eight cylinders on my 08 Cayenne Turbo looked like this. Couldn't find a picture of the 8th bore but I am sure it was similar. Pretty sure a coating wasn't fixing this.
Mine are wayyy better than that I think .... but does get a little smoke out the back (interestingly does not smell like oil burning)

... I ordered liquimoly 5w-40 purple and will give it a try. I was thinking I would start with the 5w-40 for a thousand miles, run another oil test, see whats happening before adding anything.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:24 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamescoop
Mine are wayyy better than that I think .... but does get a little smoke out the back (interestingly does not smell like oil burning)

... I ordered liquimoly 5w-40 purple and will give it a try. I was thinking I would start with the 5w-40 for a thousand miles, run another oil test, see whats happening before adding anything.
Mine didn’t smoke. Sounded great. I bought it at a Ford dealer and two months later it started making a ticking sound. Almost like an injector. Was suggested to have bores scoped and saw the damage right away. Pictures are from the engine tear down. Didn’t smoke even right up to when we pulled it apart.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:31 AM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
Just to be clear, my post wasn't towards you. It's just that wrinkledpants guy was such a Porsche fanboy, his legacy still irritates me (I wouldn't doubt that an FCP blog got their info from some of his posts). You could point out all the people coming into this forum with scored turbo engines and he'd excuse it as a miniscule fluke causality that all car manufacturers experience. And when someone would complain about their trashed 70K mile engine, he'd literally get upset and tell them they should be able to afford to repair their $100,000 SUV.

It's like when I was researching the 928, except instead of fanboys, it was Debbie Downers (something I've never experienced in any other car or motorcycle group). At first I was devastated to find out that my dream car was considered an impossible to repair piece of garbage. Everything including a timing belt change was supposedly a $5000 job, and if you can't do it yourself, there's only one mechanic on the planet who can do it correctly.
Then I realized the "difficult and expensive to maintain" mindset was created by about 5 guys who lived on these forums 24/7...boomers who put their man-cards (and *****) in a shredder sometime back in the 1970s. The kind of guys who would curl up and die if you told them to change out a starter or alternator on a V8 Cayenne.
They (with the help of Google search) did keep the 928 market down compared to other Porsches, which was a good thing if you were looking to buy. As that group slowly disappears and forum membership grows, those old posts get buried and the truth comes out...values are going up accordingly.
I went a few rounds with that guy as well…this gave me a good laugh!
The following users liked this post:
19psi (01-29-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 04:19 PM
dwebb99
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Jamescoop, may I suggest you post some pics of the wear on your cylinders? (and Mileage) Once some of us see what is concerning you, we could perhaps chime in with opinions on how much wear is happening, and how much you should be concerned.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:53 PM
Jamescoop
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dwebb99
Jamescoop, may I suggest you post some pics of the wear on your cylinders? (and Mileage) Once some of us see what is concerning you, we could perhaps chime in with opinions on how much wear is happening, and how much you should be concerned.
Will do when back at other computer, thx!

Quick Reply: Light Cylinder Scoring - Ceratec? Moly? Engine Restore?