Radar Detector behind windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 10:20 AM
gpto
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Detector behind windshield

Hi there

is anyone had problems using radar detector behind the windshield???

I plan to buy a V1 but I'm a little worried : I use for paying the freeway (yes in France we pay every 20 miles for the freeway) a sort of pager glued behind the windshield, on the cayenne, it don't work very well, I must be very very near the receptor to work, my dealer said it was causing by the kind of the windshield.

So, if my pager can't send his radio link thought the windshield, will the detector will receive radio or laser beam?????

thanks for all

Patrice
Old 04-22-2004, 10:22 AM
gpto
Advanced

Default one precision

radar detector are illegal in France, so I can't put it on the dashboard, I need to put it between the windshield and the rear mirror.

I' had a whitsler a the same place on my X5 and it was perfect ;-)
Old 04-22-2004, 10:49 AM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

I have my radar detector hard wired and it sits between just below the rear view mirror. I have no problems with getting a signal. It works great there. Very discreet.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:54 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

The Passport 8500 radar / laser detector works fine with the Cayenne windshield. My mounting location is down low, near the dash, so I don't have any experience near the mirror.

They also offer remote-mount detectors and laser jammers, Passport SRX, Passport SR7 and Laser Shifter ZR3, so that it is completely conceled.

Don't worry about the detectors being illegal, speeding is probably illegal too.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:59 AM
gpto
Advanced

Yep everuthing is illegal here, but automatic radar working at 35 Mph during night on freeway is totally absurd !!!!!!!!

Which detectore is the best, many people said that's the V1 is the one???

let me know
Old 04-22-2004, 12:00 PM
gig
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every one will say V1, I bought a Solo2 because it is wireless and overall was rated very high. It detects from front and back as well. The V1 has better coverage angle from all directions, plus the arrows that tell you where the "bogey" is coming from.

Plus, with wireless S2, I bought the visor clip and it looks like a garage door opener, very discreet. The only disadvantage is that it runs on batteries, which may limit the effectiveness, but I've had no issues. It conserves power very well, I've used it daily for a few weeks and it still shows full battery life.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:16 PM
johnhct
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My V1 works great attached to the driver sun visor.

However, my dealer said there is an option for a thermally insulated glass. He looked at mine and said it was not on my car. He said it will interfere with toll cards and other things.

Better check and see if you have that option. He looked at the edge of the window glass when he checked my car. Since I don't have the option, I don't know what that looks like.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Harbormaster
Instructor

I recently hard wired a Valentine 1 at the top of the windshield just to the left of the rearview mirror.....using suction cups to affix to windshield. This high positioning is suggested by Valentine. This gives a good clear view for the pickup of rear radar. Personally, I don't think this is nearly as common as the frontal "attack".....but it is a plus feature. I've had no problem with the windshield or slightly tinted rear and side windows at all. I also ordered the remote receiver that would light up out of sight on the dash. I have decided against using this as it really takes your eyes of the road too much imo. The amount of light generated by the unit is really minimal.....and of course you can lower the volume to almost inaudible when you can see the lights when they are in your actual line of sight.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:11 PM
johnhct
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I looked at the windshield location, but felt it shows too much from outside when the car is parked. I don't want someone to break into my car to steal it. They would do $2000 damage to steal a $500 detector.

I placed the remote above the steering wheel in front of the gas guage. It works very well there.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:23 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have mine hard wired high on the windscreen to the left of the mirror just beside my easypass.

You cannot see it from the outside, the easypass is all you see.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:27 PM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

With it next to the rear view mirror, it is not obvious at all, as most people don't bother looking that high up the windshield and it does blend in with the rear view mirror. Now if it were situated a little lower and had a cord running down to the ashtray, then that is very obvious. But with no cord dangling and having it nestled up against the mirror - very discreet.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:06 PM
johndjmix
AutoX

I got to be honest here, I have never used a V1, but I do have both a passport SRX and a SR1, both work EXCELENT. radartest.com sums it up, they rate the passport #1.

As a lot of people say they like the arrows on the V1. Why??? According to what I know they are useless, radar refelects so you get a signal if its from the rear on ANY detector. And lets ask, how many times have you been shot from the rear? I have been driving for 12 years and I think *MAYBE* once???

--John
Old 04-24-2004, 11:15 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Your just wrong, the arrows work, you just haven't used them, eventually you will, mark my words, we all went through this first, not to worry tho' you'll get over it :-)
Old 04-25-2004, 01:30 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The arrows are far from useless. Just ask anyone who owns a V1. V1 owners grow to appreciate the arrows as a result of experience. The SRX is well-rated, too, but I can't really comment on its functions because, uh, I don't own one!

Knowing that a signal is coming from behind is a BIG comfort. Not knowing where the sig is coming from leaves you guessing, for the entire engagement. What a waste of good nerves. I hate to guess about radar!

Jeff
Old 04-26-2004, 12:50 PM
dawktah
Racer

The signal counter is what is really the selling factor for me! It came in handy. There was one of those boxes on the side of road that showed your speed going through construction site. It was on the opposite side but ahead. Every day I would go past and would get only one signal. One day got two signals and low and behold there was a cop on the right shoulder barely in sight. I slowed down when it showed "2" a guy shot passed me and was victim.

V1

Quick Reply: Radar Detector behind windshield