Sponsored by:

aftermarket xenon

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM
cayenneman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket xenon

I picked my pepper off the showroom floor without xenons and air. I often regret those decisions. It does have navigation but I could have done aftermarket. Anyway how are the aftermarket xenon kits? Are they any good? Is this a good idea? you can pick them up for around 300. Better than trying to retrofit the factory lights. I did have a kit in the past that was unreliable but it wasnt a great brand. Does anyone here have any experience with them?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:16 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

http://www.europeanautosport.com

Im pretty sure they offer xenon headlights. I bought from them xenon foglights to match my xenon headlights.. email them and ask them!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:15 PM
magicdracula
Instructor

The xenon we have on our Cayennes is adjustable xenon light. It adjusts itself based on the car height and condition.

If I were you, I would look into getting an original Porsche front light, instead of changing the bulb. It’s weird how your dealer pre-order a Cayenne with a navigation but no xenon!
Old 04-21-2004, 12:51 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

This topic, by Toby Pennycuff, defines the development effort to retrofit factory Xenon lamps into the Cayenne, http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1189

Note that the upgrade is different for steel or air springs, with air as an easier upgrade.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 97 Posts

The saga will continue shortly. Doing the aftermarket retro-fit is not DOT-legal and can earn you a tciket. Upgrading is not simply a plug and play affair - there are wiring issues and control unit issues that you must deal with before a succssful conversion. Film at 11!

Toby
Old 02-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Has anyone completed this change from Halogen to Xenon?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Best to just PM Toby.
IIRC, he was the only person to attempt it....to bravely go where no man has gone before.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:58 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

The conversion to Xenon would work better on a vehicle with air suspension, as that configuration already includes the level sensors. The steel springs won't auto-level, unless those sensors are added to the wiring harness.

The conversion would require both the auto-level and the headlight washers to be DOT legal.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Zin
Instructor

Default Washers to be DOT legal?

Originally Posted by wingless
The conversion to Xenon would work better on a vehicle with air suspension, as that configuration already includes the level sensors. The steel springs won't auto-level, unless those sensors are added to the wiring harness.

The conversion would require both the auto-level and the headlight washers to be DOT legal.
Wingless,
DOT mandates headlight washers on xenon head lamps? Why would that be?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:51 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Further review of documentation reveals that it MAY only be a European regulation. The May 2003 issue of Silicon Chip magazine has a good article on Xenon lamps.

It states: "European regulatory authorities are aware of the potential dazzling effects and have made automatic headlight levelling and cleaners mandatory on all vehicles fitted with HID headlights. Why cleaners? Well, dirty lenses were found to cause light scatter, another potential dazzler!"

This topic has technical information on Xenon lamps.

At this time, I do not have any documentation of DOT requirements.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Zin
Instructor

That makes sense. However, I checked the DOT website where I live and there is no mention of headlight washers being mandated.

Quick Reply: aftermarket xenon