Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

957 GTS Purchasing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 04:37 PM
WinstonL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just found one in the perfect spec… 2010 GTS 21 inch wheels, Marine Blue and Rock Grey interior with a trailer hitch. The selling dealer is a super reputable place in in Kansas City. They took it in on trade, it’s been serviced there it’s entire basically one owner life. They did however drive it and notice a rear suspension clunk, this clunk made them decide to send it to auction since they deal in cars that are far more expensive and I guess they don’t want to spend their resources and time dealing with a less expensive car. The car gurus value if it were in perfect shape is $22,000, they want $18,500 but I think I could get that number down. Do you think with the $3500 I could likely get that sorted out?
Old 01-04-2022, 04:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,247 Likes on 3,979 Posts

Originally Posted by WinstonL
I just found one in the perfect spec… 2010 GTS 21 inch wheels, Marine Blue and Rock Grey interior with a trailer hitch. The selling dealer is a super reputable place in in Kansas City. They took it in on trade, it’s been serviced there it’s entire basically one owner life. They did however drive it and notice a rear suspension clunk, this clunk made them decide to send it to auction since they deal in cars that are far more expensive and I guess they don’t want to spend their resources and time dealing with a less expensive car. The car gurus value if it were in perfect shape is $22,000, they want $18,500 but I think I could get that number down. Do you think with the $3500 I could likely get that sorted out?
Get them down to $17,500, listen to the motor to make sure it doesn't have bore scoring since KC can be cold in the winter, then go for it. Hopefully it has PDCC too. If it happens to be a MT grab it immediately as you can triple your money.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:43 PM
WinstonL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Get them down to $17,500, listen to the motor to make sure it doesn't have bore scoring since KC can be cold in the winter, then go for it. Hopefully it has PDCC too. If it happens to be a MT grab it immediately as you can triple your money.
It has neither PDCC or a manual. If it’s a 2010 it’s pretty much immune as any car to bore scoring right?
Old 01-04-2022, 04:45 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It has neither PDCC or a manual. If it’s a 2010 it’s pretty much immune as any car to bore scoring right?
No, the 2009s and 2010s are less susceptible to it than the 2008 and earlier v8s, but there are records of scored 2009 & 2010 GTSs, Turbos, and Turbo Ss usually from cold climates. You need to hear the engine run and hope someone didn't put a thick oil in in to sell it that will mask the scoring sound.
The following users liked this post:
WinstonL (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 11:04 PM
WinstonL
Advanced

I decided to pass on the car… It has plenty of cosmetic damage and they wanted $400 extra for processing. I just decided if I wanted a project I could pay closer to $10k on marketplace so I’m paying 8k for a color.

This did make me wonder… what options on these cars are worthwhile? My biggest question is PDCC, it seems great if I ever wanted to go off pavement On Colorado vacations. I also hope to go on some drives on mountain roads with competent sports cars…. Like a V8 vantage and a 992 C2S Cab, it seems PDCC would be essentially to keep up and have a good time.
Of the other options what do y’all like? Are there any to try to avoid?
Old 01-08-2022, 11:17 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I decided to pass on the car… It has plenty of cosmetic damage and they wanted $400 extra for processing. I just decided if I wanted a project I could pay closer to $10k on marketplace so I’m paying 8k for a color.

This did make me wonder… what options on these cars are worthwhile? My biggest question is PDCC, it seems great if I ever wanted to go off pavement On Colorado vacations. I also hope to go on some drives on mountain roads with competent sports cars…. Like a V8 vantage and a 992 C2S Cab, it seems PDCC would be essentially to keep up and have a good time.
Of the other options what do y’all like? Are there any to try to avoid?
PDCC would he more.fornon road than off-road. It makes the 5,000 lb truck corner more like a 3,800 point one by keeping it mich flatter.

The way I drive my Cayenne and pretty much all my vehicles, PDCC was a must have for me and one of the reasons I narrowed my search to Turbo Ss where it's on every single one. Full leather is another must have IMO - as a luxury SUV needs that. The one I bought also had supple leather which is nice as it makes the seats a little more leathery, but it'd be a toss-up on whether I'd go for sport seats or supple leather. I wanted 4 zone climate control for the kids in the back on our trips and PCCB brakes - those were the 2 things I could get so retrofitted the PCCBs and do without the 4 zone.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:31 PM
WinstonL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
PDCC would he more.fornon road than off-road. It makes the 5,000 lb truck corner more like a 3,800 point one by keeping it mich flatter.

The way I drive my Cayenne and pretty much all my vehicles, PDCC was a must have for me and one of the reasons I narrowed my search to Turbo Ss where it's on every single one. Full leather is another must have IMO - as a luxury SUV needs that. The one I bought also had supple leather which is nice as it makes the seats a little more leathery, but it'd be a toss-up on whether I'd go for sport seats or supple leather. I wanted 4 zone climate control for the kids in the back on our trips and PCCB brakes - those were the 2 things I could get so retrofitted the PCCBs and do without the 4 zone.
Makes sense to me… I’m really thinking I’d probably rather have one that has PDCC than is an ideal color. Seems like such a brilliant thing. Just for means of comparison, I’ve ridden in a Panamera 4 Hybrid 2018 and it corners phenomenally to my standards. Do you think with PDCC the Cayenne might be similar? Maybe a stupid question since they are very different cars I just don’t know what to compare it to. Also, why were PCCB such an important thing that you’d install them? The cool factor or do you track the Cayenne?
Old 01-09-2022, 12:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Makes sense to me… I’m really thinking I’d probably rather have one that has PDCC than is an ideal color. Seems like such a brilliant thing. Just for means of comparison, I’ve ridden in a Panamera 4 Hybrid 2018 and it corners phenomenally to my standards. Do you think with PDCC the Cayenne might be similar? Maybe a stupid question since they are very different cars I just don’t know what to compare it to. Also, why were PCCB such an important thing that you’d install them? The cool factor or do you track the Cayenne?
It's possible that Panamera had PDCC, but could have also had torque vectoring - in any case, the best you can do on a 957 is PDCC with some grippier tires and slightly wider footprint. With my widebody, I run a 22x12 wheel with 315 width tires and will go up to 325s on the next set to also better protect the rim edge - they look a little stretched to me and I don't like that look.

After having PCCBs on my supercharged 997, I actually won't own another Porsche where they're available as an option without them. They last what seems like forever - the 911 has 60k miles of spirited street deriving on the brakes and the rotors look like new. There's also zero dust - I can drive the cars multiple times for hundreds of miles and as long as it doesn't rain, the wheels saty perfectly clean. And then there's the performance - the hotter they get the better they stop, unlike traditional brakes, so coming down the mountain at non-legal speeds Ina 5,000 lb vehicle and having zero brake fade is so confidence inspiring. I'll warn you thought, it's almost an impossible option to find on used 957 Cayennes - I've seen 2 that had it since 2016 so I found a decent deal on a complete set from a 958 Cayenne and retrofitted them to my 957, which turbed out to be a crap-ton of works and required caliper adapters that I had to precisely measure for and modify the 958 front calipers to get them to work and had to order them from a place in Germany that doesn't ship to the USA. I would not do that again and instead would buy 957 versions.

I don't track any of my cars - they're too unique and worth too much to me to have someone in a Miata or Bimmer hit me - just spirited street and mountain driving.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:17 AM
WinstonL
Advanced

The Panamera has neither torque vectoring or PDCC according to the build sheet so the cayenne would probably be equal?

It seems like the PCCB are more of a convenience and value proposition than anything else. Would be a cool option to have.

Regarding to the seats… I just saw a GTS build sheet with “12 way sport seats” how are those different from standard?
Old 01-09-2022, 01:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The Panamera has neither torque vectoring or PDCC according to the build sheet so the cayenne would probably be equal?

It seems like the PCCB are more of a convenience and value proposition than anything else. Would be a cool option to have.

Regarding to the seats… I just saw a GTS build sheet with “12 way sport seats” how are those different from standard?
Taller side bolsters.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:14 PM
WinstonL
Advanced

Default 958 GTS vs 957

I just rode in (Salesman said I was too young, despite the fact I knew and respected the car far more and I other salespeople previously at that dealer offered to me to drive…. *Im a bit annoyed*) 2014 Cayenne GTS I was blown away by its handling, exhaust and responsiveness. The car has the same 4.8 V8 it had air suspension but no PDCC. Would a 957 GTS or Turbo with Or without PDCC match that handling and responsiveness?
Old 01-10-2022, 01:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I just rode in (Salesman said I was too young, despite the fact I knew and respected the car far more and I other salespeople previously at that dealer offered to me to drive…. *Im a bit annoyed*) 2014 Cayenne GTS I was blown away by its handling, exhaust and responsiveness. The car has the same 4.8 V8 it had air suspension but no PDCC. Would a 957 GTS or Turbo with Or without PDCC match that handling and responsiveness?
Can't help you with that one as I have no interest in a Cayenne beyond the 957 generation. Don't like the look with the rounded hatch, pointy nose, teardrop taillights. I like that the 957 interior is also similar to the interiors of my other older Porsches 928s, 997s, etc even though many prefer the newer and fancier interior of the later generations. PDCC in a 957 will likely outhandle a non PDCC 958. Also, if you had any plans to take the Cayenne off-road, the 957 generation is the last one with the low range transfer case and real off-road capability. So few buyers were looking for that capability that Porsche dropped it due to cost with the 958 so it's still capable on dirt roads and in snow, but not really more extreme stuff.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:44 PM
WinstonL
Advanced

I definitely agree with that. The exterior styling just looks more feminine to me, and being young in a wealthy area I would hate for it to look like I’m driving my moms car. The interior is very nice though and I was thoroughly impressed by how it drives.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:02 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

the new cayennes are great. im sure they have better road manners than the first gen. but like Pete said.... not really into the exterior of the car. I love the interior though.

I believe in that gen GTS they actively pump in engine noise into the cabin.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:33 PM
WinstonL
Advanced

Ok everyone… I have found a Turbo S 09’ with under 80k near me. The dealer says they are gonna send it to auction cause it’s smoking, they got in on trade in. They want $18,900. As of right now I’m waiting for an inspection report, picture and a video of the engine running to hear for note scoring. If the engine seems to be good, what could be causing the issue and does it make sense considering the value of a relatively low miles Turbo S?

Quick Reply: 957 GTS Purchasing Advice