Toureg - Cayenne Differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 04:46 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Toureg - Cayenne Differences

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how much of the Cayenne is VW-based parts. I hope it isn't just a rebadged Toureg, but haven't been convinced otherwise. Please feel free to educate me on this one
Old 04-03-2004, 08:05 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Briefly, the Cayenne V8 motor is designed and built by Porsche. The Cayenne V6 is a Porsche modified VW design. The transmission, suspension and other driveline components are the same but implemented differently in some cases. Like the front/rear torque split; 50/50 for the Touareg, 35/65 for the Cayenne. The exterior and interior differences are pretty obvious so I won't go into that.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The basic body shells come from the same place. The trans and driveline, and brakes are very similar designs as mentioned, with each having individualised tweaks for the application. The Cayenne is the sport version, the VW is the utility version.

From watching this board and the VW board, I think that a little more care is lavished on the assembly of the Porsche version. There seem to be fewer problems on the Cayenne, and it has been availible a little longer.

I think that the Cayenne buys you better build quality, more speed, much better handling, better steering feel, most likely better dealer service but at an obviously much higher price. Drive both, decide what you want from it. I wanted a roomy awd vehicle that would be a blast on the curvy mtn roads surrounding my new digs in Colorado. I wanted the better exhaust note, the better steering feel and lack of body roll. If I had just wanted another SUV albiet a very capable one, I would have saved $10-15k and bought the VW. Buying a Porsche, any Porsche, is hardly a decision I would try to rationalize, you buy a Porsche because you want one and you can afford one.

One last thought....were you concerned about the number of VW parts in your 944 before you purchased it?
Old 04-04-2004, 02:45 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

As much as we have beat this into the ground, it still makes good reading, but again in the end, I think the advice that keeps coming to the surface is "purchase what will make you happy"!
Old 04-04-2004, 05:52 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

IMO-it all comes down to drive both and see for yourself. I think Porsche made a killer SUV-never thought that ne car with higher center of gravity and heavy can handle the curves and stop massive 4k pounder with such grace that Porsche did their homework on it. Yes it's an extra 10-15k whatever but also look another way. VW always made great economical fun cars- I couldn't justify paying 40k plus for the TREG(nething more then 35k on a VW doesn't sound right) just like who's going to spend 80k on the VW Phaeton. Also biggest plus is my wife now loves Porsche because for an SUV-Porsche always known for handling/feel/braking -the Cayenne gets high marks from me on that. I use to have an ML320 which my wife wanted- shedrove it for 2 weeks and gave it back to me. With the Cayenne couldn't wrestle her hands off it. I don't know what parts are shared but I don't really care-just drive them both and see what drives better. Regards. Mike
Old 04-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Mav
Racer

Difference: If I bought Toureg, I would think about a Cayenne everyday. I have a Cyenne S, and I thinks about Cayenne Turbo everyday! Should I buy a Turbo
Back to the topic. If you want performance and sports like S(port)UV, then Cayenne is the one. If you want luxury interior and same $$ at the same time, then VW is the one. PS, if you want your garage looks good, then go for Cayenne which is a Porsche.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:08 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Brent 89-GT
One last thought....were you concerned about the number of VW parts in your 944 before you purchased it?
No, because on the 951s the only VW based components were in the transaxle.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:28 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

The 944 was based on the 924 which was a gift to Porsche from VW as a way of saying sorry for shutting down the 914 line.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:29 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Yes, it was based off the 924 and used the 924 C-GTS's looks as a template. The Audi engine and drivetrain from the 924 were replaced with a Porsche engine that was basically a half-928 motor. The only VW shared parts that remained were some tranny components... a far cry from a full drivetrain and body styling if you ask me!

This thread wasn't started to rile up any members... we all have the same passion for our Porsches here. I have wondered, though, how much of a VW parts-sharing project the Cayenne was... and that is why I posted.

I'm not trying to pass judgement on the Cayennes, like I said, I'm just curious. Once I get a chance to drive one, I have no doubt it will put a smile on my face.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:33 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by GM Austin
Briefly, the Cayenne V8 motor is designed and built by Porsche. The Cayenne V6 is a Porsche modified VW design. The transmission, suspension and other driveline components are the same but implemented differently in some cases. Like the front/rear torque split; 50/50 for the Touareg, 35/65 for the Cayenne. The exterior and interior differences are pretty obvious so I won't go into that.
I haven't looked into the drivetrain similarities too far, so forgive me if this next question sounds newbie/stupid. I know that the V6 is actually a VR6 with a Porsche designed intake, but how similar are the V8s exactly? If the V8 was an exclusive Porsche design, did Porsche share it with VW, or did VW simply put in their own, totally separate V8 powerplant?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:04 AM
GM Austin
Pro

The V8's are totally separate. Porsche designed it's own V8 and it does not share mechanical parts or design with the VW. Take a look at the bore and stroke for the two engines and you'll see what I mean. The Porsche V8 looks like it has some room to grow, if desired. The VW is a compact design that is pretty maxed out on displacement.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine in the T-reg is directly from Audi. It is the engine used in the A8, A6 4.2 etc. The Cayenne engine is wholly Porsche.

I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers either but the 924/44/51/68 situation is very similar to the Cayenne/Toureg relationship. The 944 had a lot of VW design influence from the start. The Cayenne and Toureg share a body shell, a transmission and brakes. Certainly the 951 is further removed from the VW roots than most but I think it is still a very similar story. I was a 951 owner once as well
Old 04-05-2004, 11:53 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Brent 89-GT
The engine in the T-reg is directly from Audi. It is the engine used in the A8, A6 4.2 etc. The Cayenne engine is wholly Porsche.
Thanks for the info... but you ARE referring only to the V8 I hope

I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers either but the 924/44/51/68 situation is very similar to the Cayenne/Toureg relationship. The 944 had a lot of VW design influence from the start. The Cayenne and Toureg share a body shell, a transmission and brakes. Certainly the 951 is further removed from the VW roots than most but I think it is still a very similar story. I was a 951 owner once as well
Hey, no worries. I'm defensive about Lorelei and all other 951's. Though they had "influence" from VW as they were 924 descendents, I don't consider the 951 a VW-based car or even a car as a result of the VW-partnership that started the 924. Though it was the successor of the 924, the 944 was all Porsche in my book. Keeping only select tranny parts is a far cry from a VW-parts pin project as some will like to refer to them as... and the 951, having the beefed up transaxle, strays even further from that.

Brent... what is this "was a 951 owner" bit?? It better have been stolen or wrecked because I KNOW you didn't sell it!!
Old 04-06-2004, 03:25 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

The Cayenne V6 and Touareg V6 are badge-engineered vehicles built on the same assembly line and are thus virtually identical. Their body work differs forward of the windshield and behind the rear doors, their suspension is tuned differently, the torque split is different, and the steering ratios are different. Interior designs differ, but only on the surface; gauges and switches are all in the same place, and some are identical. Brakes, engines, transmissions, 4WD systems, suspension design, electronics, and most other stuff you don't see are the same. Thus, both vehicles share the same initial design flaws.

With completely different motors and slightly larger front brake rotors on the Cayenne S, the V8s differ a bit more.

That said, the characters of the two vehicles are very different. The Cayenne's more sporting suspension, torque split, and steering ratio make for a BMW sedan-like feel (an impressive feat in a 5,000+ lb. vehicle) vs. the VW's Mercedes sedan-like feel.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:07 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the insight Alan... I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Toureg - Cayenne Differences