Sponsored by:

Porsche Cell Solution For Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 02:41 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess everybody has found the docs by now.

Sorry for not responding earlier, but I was already in my dreams doing mods on my CGT.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:17 AM
dawktah
Racer

Default Cell Solution?

Is this just a "hands-free" system or does it increase the phone from 0.5 watts to 4 watts with an external antenna?

So far no Nextel so I'm a waiter as usual.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:23 AM
GM Austin
Pro

It's hands free with external antenna and audio muting but no additional transmitting power or wattage.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:16 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

The Porsche cell phone brochure is now posted on www.RennTech.org, in the public area. This brochure states that this phone is not compatible with PCM, twice.

Porsche Cell Solution

But this brochure also states: "... requires a dealer prep kit that integrates with the analog audio system or the fiber optic digital bus featured on all new Porsche models."

The only information available to date is for the analog interface. The question is, why would they offer a MOST interface if it doesn't work with PCM?

It may be that this is the result of Marketing "translating" information provided by Engineering.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:16 PM
kwsmith6
Intermediate

The picture I posted earlier showing the phone mute was the TBH System 8 installed. I was wrong about the cullmann system, unless Porsche is going to use them for the MOST solution. My guess now is that there will be a separate MOST to VDA box available soon, but the only thing it will add is the voice through the sound system. You can install any system you want now, but you have to find a place for the speaker. I took the TBH system out recently and replaced it with a SonyEricsson Bluetooh system that works very well. I have been thinking about simply wiring the sound into one of the sound system speakers since it mutes the PCM sound when a call is active. There are rumblings about a Porsche Bluetooth option. You have to figure they are working on a solution because Europe has a number of laws regarding driving and cell phones.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by kwsmith6
I have been thinking about simply wiring the sound into one of the sound system speakers since it mutes the PCM sound when a call is active.
Kevin,
Please be aware that wiring directly to the speaker may not give the expected results.
When a 'Mute' command is set, the DSP in the amplifier merely clocks out zeroes to the output DAC's, which of course are connected to the linear output amplifiers which are connected to the speakers via the wiring harness.
The output amplifiers are still connected to the speakers and are still active, they are simply amplifying nothing.
Depending on the output source (differential/floating or single ended/grounded) you are connecting in parallel with your speaker, your results will range from unwanted noise/hum to shutdown/damage to the amplifier (the output amplifiers are protected against shorts to battery or ground, so you're unlikely to be able to cause permanent damage)
Old 04-18-2004, 08:32 PM
kwsmith6
Intermediate

Good point. I had done that in an Audi once using a relay. I read all the instructions several times and we are missing the VDA box in our US Cayennes. There will have to be a MOST to VDA box under the passenger seat.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

That will MOST (sorry, pardon the pun.... couldn't resist! ) likely be the Electronic Control Unit mentioned in the Parts Information Bulletin as PNA 180 004.

Toby
Old 04-20-2004, 02:20 AM
johndjmix
AutoX

So does anyone actually have the porsche cell solution installed and operating?

--John
Old 04-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

johndjmix,

All parts are not yet available from PCNA. We're still waiting on the Man Kit and ECU box. There are several cradles that have PCNA part numbers, but I'm not yet aware of anyone that has tried to order/actually buy one. I have my kit on order. Already purchased the Prep Kit. Just waiting for all remaining pieces to come in so I can have all work done at the same time to keep labor costs down (note, I did not say reasonable!).

Toby
Old 04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Toby

My dealer has now been told that no PCM system equipped Porsche can have the solution. Have you heard anymore ?

Mike
Old 04-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not yet. I will try to check in tomorrow with them and see. However, I head to Rennsport Reunion II tomorrow night, so it may be Monday before I have any additional details.

Toby
Old 04-21-2004, 11:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mudman2,

I just received my "REVISED" copy of Porsche Talk magazine, along with a cover letter stating there were errors in the latest issued.

It stated that the cellphone kit worked with NO PCM systems (Boxster, Carrera or Cayenne).
Perhaps this is what your dealer was referrring to

(from an amplifier perspective, there is no difference between CRD23/0 and PCM; therefore this must be a headunit issue).

Wondering if anyone else got the same thing?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Swede
Intermediate

I received the same reprint tonight.

Could not tell what was corrected!
Old 04-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ltc
Mudman2,

(from an amplifier perspective, there is no difference between CRD23/0 and PCM; therefore this must be a headunit issue).
thats because as mentioned above, this cell solution plugs into the head unit, effectively bypassing the entire most ring in terms of input, but not output.

however, input is limited to 1-2 channels depending on the install (right / left door speakers)

so....

Quick Reply: Porsche Cell Solution For Cayenne