Sponsored by:

Porsche Cell Solution For Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

One other "interesting" note......... Check out the part number for the microphone included in the prep kit...... 955 642 310 00. Notice anything about that part number when compared to the part numbers listed in the PET?

And now for some late-breaking news....... in reviewing my wirinf diagrams for ANOTHER of my projects, I checked out the wiring for this microphone. The mic is attached directly to the Bose amplifier and not to the radio.

Yee Haw! More debates!

Toby

Last edited by Toby Pennycuff; 04-11-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Toby, just when I thought that the Xenons and the phone for your wife's MB was enough digging ...
But since everything is larger in Texas, I guess days have also more than 24 hours then.

Anyway, below is a pic of the PCM II as you requested. I marked the slot for the SIM card. Hope it helps with your quest number x (well, I lost count)

If there's anything else, just shout
Attached Images  

Last edited by Matt C; 04-11-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit OT, but I've just noticed that with the update to PCM II version 3.0, a new line on the software version menu has appeared. The last line on the picture is new: "Sprachbedienung" => "voice-driven". Looks like they have some more features in the pipeline. I pray that this won't need anymore wiring, because Toby's order book is already overflowing
Old 04-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Part Two of More Research

Originally posted by Toby Pennycuff
Anyone else care to join the fray?
Toby
i could honestly give less of a ******** about phone hands free, i would gladly tape my cellphone to the side of my head with the MOST obnoxious duct tape availible

this duct taping is of course contingent upon porsche offering a way of AUX-IN for the MOST bus - thus i could hook my ipod up to it.

i hate becker/porsche's relationship
Old 04-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt,

Thanks for the picture of your PCM-II unit. It's really quite helpful and explains a few things for me. Specifically, the electronics for the GSM phone would appear to be built into the PCM-II unit itself. Hope you don't have occasion to move a few thousand miles west, and intend to use your cell solution over here! (It won't work. ) Thus, to an earlier post someone put up about adding key covers for on- and off-hook on US PCM-II units, that won't work either. Until Becker makes the electronics for the US that support GSM850/1900, CDMA1900, TDMA1900 and AMPS900 and integrates them with the existing PCM-II electronics, the Porsche Cell Solution is the only one that offers hope for an integrated (well, reasonably so anyway) cell solution. And BTW, since the rear connections on the PCM-II are the same as the CDR-23, I'm guessing that PCM-II will be supported by the Porsche Cell Solution.

As for projects..... well, there are never enough projects. What with the Bi-Xenon upgrade, my wife's car phone (Mercedes' version of "cell hell") and now the Porsche Cell Solution, I don't know when I can find time to work! Somehow, I managed to squeeze in an upgrade to dark wood trim on the Cayenne one night! Fortunately, that took about 45 minutes at most. The hardest part was removing the ignition key surround - I was certain it was going to break!.

In fact, I've been poring over my wiring diagrams again as I get my Bi-Xenon upgrade stirred back up this week.

No rest for the wicked.... umm, I mean weary!

TBP
Old 04-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

And if you're curious about how this setup might look in your Cayenne, have a look at this picture of a Cullmann setup in a Cayenne with PCM-II! It's not clear from the references throughout the site, but it does tend to reinforce in my mind that this solution will work for both PCM-II and CDR-23 setups! I think we're all talking about the variocom VC3 setups. Check the details out here.

Toby
Old 04-11-2004, 07:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And now for some late-breaking news....... in reviewing my wirinf diagrams for ANOTHER of my projects, I checked out the wiring for this microphone. The mic is attached directly to the Bose amplifier and not to the radio.

Yee Haw! More debates!

Toby
Toby,
All of the MOST amplifiers from Bose have direct connections to the microphone(s); trust me, I designed them, and still have occasional nightmares over the experience!.
A single microphone can be used for dual purpose (AudioPilot or cabin voice/audio) by merely providing different frequency filtering inside the amplifier.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default Re: Re: Part Two of More Research

Originally posted by Moogle

this duct taping is of course contingent upon porsche offering a way of AUX-IN for the MOST bus - thus i could hook my ipod up to it.

i hate becker/porsche's relationship
Moogle,
This is actually Becker and Oasis at work here. Oasis developed and "proposed" the solution (OK, forced it down German car manufacturer's throats if you like) as an EMC friendly, high bandwidth, multimedia telematic and infotainment bus with initial transfer rates of 25Mb/sec. (BTW, MOST2 is in testing with 50Mb/sec).
Initially, Mercedes was to go first with S class/Maybach, followed by Audi with A8L and then Porsche. Porsche figured a year after Mercedes/Audi launched, most bugs would be worked out. Unfortunatley, Mercedes and Audi had delays, putting Porsche in the position of being the first OEM to sell MOST based cars.

As far as a MOST aux in device, there are plans to offer such devices in 2-3 years, based on the latest Powerpoint presentations from the MOST consortium/committee.
I could design and build one in my basement (it's a lot simpler than an amplifier), use it in my Cayenne, but I would be unable to offer it or sell it, based on my understanding of my current employment contract.
Of course, if enough people want them, then maybe I could make enough money to pay the lawyers

If you do a search (for MOSTWave I think), I believe I posted some ways to get analog audio onto the MOST bus with a laptop and some development tools from Oasis....about $5K if you really wanted to do it.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:21 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

And if you're curious about how this setup might look in your Cayenne, have a look at this picture of a Cullmann setup in a Cayenne with PCM-II! It's not clear from the references throughout the site, but it does tend to reinforce in my mind that this solution will work for both PCM-II and CDR-23 setups! I think we're all talking about the variocom VC3 setups. Check the details out here.

Toby
If the linked image is closely examined, it will be clear that the PCM2 shown is the European, not the US version.

Originally posted by ltc
As far as a MOST aux in device, there are plans to offer such devices in 2-3 years, based on the latest Powerpoint presentations from the MOST consortium/committee.
I could design and build one in my basement (it's a lot simpler than an amplifier), use it in my Cayenne, but I would be unable to offer it or sell it
Isn't a significant part of the problem the limitations created by the absence of flexibility permitted by the PCM2?
Old 04-12-2004, 02:52 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally posted by wingless
absence of flexibility permitted by the PCM2?
in my case its the CDR-23 since i have a boxster S, i do plan to upgrade to the PCM2 in the near future,

what we were talking about is a general way to get aux in on the most network... which is the most important thing
Old 04-12-2004, 06:53 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Moogle
what we were talking about is a general way to get aux in on the most network... which is the most important thing
Here are two MOST devices, both available to purchase, one to get analog audio onto the MOST ring and one to get DVD audio / video onto MOST. The first device has both line level and microphone level auxiliary inputs.

But, my question for the US PCM2, if a device such as this is created, isn't a large part of the problem the absence of flexibility on the PCM2?

OASIS SiliconSystems MOST WAVE

OASIS SiliconSystems MOST DVD Player
Old 04-12-2004, 08:47 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand that there is a law suit pending related to the MOST network and other proprietary networks.

This is being brought by the independant systems manufactures (Alpine and the like for example) who make a living out of selling aftermarket solutions.

I am not sure if this will fly however, Lexus for instance has done a stella job of keeping those folk out of their cars. (it will cost $1200 to add a changer to my wifes 4 year old RX, same as when it was new and there is only one place to buy it, apart from a breaker)

The problem with these Bus systems, even if they open them up, is that the aftermarket manufacturers will have a wide quality bandwidth based on their own ability, unlike a firewire type interface where its just a pipe.

Progress ?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Wingless et. al.,

The primary limitations to adding a device to a MOST network is software.

The bus master (in this case the headunit..CDR or PCM matters not) needs to be aware of it and then must know how to control it. Software is fairly simple to load/flash into a headunit, so this is not a major obstacle.

The secondary limitation is the human interface. Sure, I design this little MOST Aux in device (been there, done that), plug it into the ring with some fiber cable (same as adding a MOST CD changer in the back...still easy).

Now, how do you select this device?! There is no AUX IN button (AM,FM,CD.....where's AUX?!), thus the human interface lacks the functionality. Now if the headunit were a touchscreen device, then a soft button would able to be added, and we're back to item#1 above.

Same for a DVD player, a blender or anything else you want to put on the bus! Once the physical layer is designed and it's on the ring, what do you do with it.

Now for the backdoor......come on, there is always a backdoor....engineers are like that you know.
If the headunit all of a sudden sees a device (designed properly MOST Aux input node for example) show up on the ring, it will assume it's a CD player/changer. Thus, it will "connect" to the device on the ring and route its audio content to the amplfiier and VOILA! This would work if you only wanted an iPod/Aux device on the ring and not both and AUX device and a CDChanger....but if you had a choice, an iPod/external disk based MP3 player would be a better choice.

As for getting around the S/W issues and lack of human interface, that's where the MOST development tools (MOST Wave, OptoLyzer, etc) and a laptop can come in. Buy one of these ($5K and then the required extortion..I mean membership fee to join the MOST consortium. license fees, offshore bank accounts, etc), write some simple command string S/W on the laptop (or a handheld/palm PC or equiv...anything with a serial port), plug your external analog audio source and VOILA, you're playing music over the ring.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:00 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ltc
The bus master (in this case the headunit..CDR or PCM matters not) needs to be aware of it and then must know how to control it. Software is fairly simple to load/flash into a headunit, so this is not a major obstacle.
That assumes the starting point, the existing PCM2 source firmware and compiler, is available, along with all the required firmware and hardware documentation. Then the firmware changes need to be designed and implemented. Then, this new PCM2 firmware is loaded into the PST2 and flashed into the PCM2, easy.

These steps are possible for Porsche and the PCM2 system supplier, but not for the end user.

Originally posted by ltc
Now for the backdoor......come on, there is always a backdoor....engineers are like that you know.
If the headunit all of a sudden sees a device (designed properly MOST Aux input node for example) show up on the ring, it will assume it's a CD player/changer. Thus, it will "connect" to the device on the ring and route its audio content to the amplfiier and VOILA! This would work if you only wanted an iPod/Aux device on the ring and not both and AUX device and a CDChanger....but if you had a choice, an iPod/external disk based MP3 player would be a better choice.
Lewis, this is excellent information! So, if the OASIS MOST WAVE were added to a PCM2 vehicle, without a CD changer, then it would be the default external audio source, selected by the PCM2 changer pushbutton?

If so, then an analog hardware multiplexer could be used to select between a conventional disk changer, iPod, telephone, or anything else. That type of solution would address many of the various needs expressed on this forum.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Moogle
Race Car

i'm very happy we are finally having a discussion about the MOST system on this detailed level with this sort of mature cooperation and progressive thinking in mind.

its been a year and a half since having my 03 boxster S and i'm beggining to want to rip everything out and start from scractch. which would defeat the purpose of the $1500 bose system option... but it looks like a solution is on the horizon!!!! ^_^

Quick Reply: Porsche Cell Solution For Cayenne