Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Your the man Toby !
Old 04-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

OK, so here's what I have found so far........

There appear to be a number of parts/kits to this solution. The kit I purchased this afternoon is the base prep kit for the Cayenne, part number 955 044 900 19 (list price is $282.46). This kit contains the cellular antenna, associated antenna wiring, baseline electrical wiring and base mounts for the phone holder. Here are the base parts in this kit:

955 647 106 00 Telephone Antenna
955 642 310 00 Hands-free microphone with lead
955 647 206 00 Antenna lead for rear spoiler
955 612 952 00 Grommet for roof rail
955 612 951 00 Grommet for rear spoiler
955 607 004 00 Two 5 Amp fuses
N 908 401 02 M4x14 screw
999 650 356 12 Pin for cross section 0.52
999 650 398 12 Cable lug, A6-1 - DIN 46225
955 647 212 00 Interior lead for Antenna
955 612 950 00 Electric wiring harness
955 552 715 00 HOlder including mount

What this kit provides is the basic wiring setup and antenna for cellular operation. Porsche estimates 540 time units to get the base kit installed (Park Place is estimating about 8 hours of labor) - R&R of headliner, various wiring paths in the Cayenne, etc.....

As you read the Parts Information bulletin for the "Porsche Tequipment Cell Solution", you will find the remainder of the parts necessary to get a working solution. There are also two separate Technical Information Bulletins for the Cayenne that are a part of this solution -

Group 9 Cayenne #5/04 "Telephone Kit" and
Group 9 Cayenne #0402 "THB System 8 Telephone Installation Instructions"

I have a hardcopy of the first document, and am on the hunt for the second. I may be able to get a copy later next week from Park Place.

The Parts Information bulletin specifically references additional parts that are needed to create a working solution. Here are the cradle part numbers:

(Note that these are PCNA PNA part numbers, thus the non-standard 955... part numbers)

Phone Cradles
PNA 220 008 Nokia 1260/2260/3360/3390
PNA 220 050 Nokia 3560/3590/3595
PNA 220 038 Nokia 3285/5165/6310i/6340i/6360
PNA 220 032 Nokia 6590/8390
PNA 220 057 Nokia 6100/6200/6610/7210/7250
PNA 220 036 SonyEricsson T68i
PNA 220 056 SonyEricsson T610/T616
PNA 220 004 Siemens S55/A56/C56/CT56/S56
PNA 220 005 Siemens M46
PNA 220 012 Motorola all versions of V60
PNA 220 064 Motorola V400/V500/V600
PNA 220 048 Motorola T720/T730
PNA 220 047 Samsung v205/v206
PNA 220 058 Samsung v307

And here are the big hitters:

PNA 000 717 Main Kit (Working to get more details on contents)
PNA 180 004 ECU Box (I'm betting this is the MOST interface box)
PNA 150 022 Hang-up Cup
PNA 020 004 VDA Short Cable

I don't have prices on these parts except for the kit I purchased and the Main Kit ($253.03). I suspect that the control unit (PNA 180 004) will be in the $200-300 range. I also suspect that the ECU is the interface point into MOST as stated earlier and so the Main Kit must include the fiber and connections necessary to insert into the MOST ring. I can't speak to whether the Hang-up Cup or VDA Short Cable are necessary or not. I do know that the wiring instructions for the prep kit specifically state that it is not necessary to install the supplied microphone if the vehicle has the Bose system already installed.

My sources at Park Place are working to track down the details on the ECU pricing and availability as well as what all is in the Main Kit. wingless, do you have any insight????? Ditto for the Hang-up CUp and VDA Short cable. Hopefully, I'll have some answers on Monday!

Toby
(oh great, another electrical/wiring "opportunity"!)
Old 04-10-2004, 06:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Your probably correct about the microphone. As soon as you hit the MOST bus you are connected to the dual purpose roof mic.

Park Place must be sharp, my dealer has none of this yet.

Sounds like your talking about a grand.

Big issue I have is our 52 Nextels !

Old 04-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,

You may want to check out the differences between the Motorola T730 and i730. If the interface pins are the same on both phones, you might be close enough to make it work. You may have to work around some of the PTT features, but I'm curious what differences exist beyond the PTT button/functions. Do you have any technical docs to do a comparison?

As for the cost, if it were only a grand, I'd be happy! That said, I'm going to pursue this because I HATE trying to do the "phone-to-the-craned-neck thing". It's just not safe.

Toby
Old 04-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

wingless and mudman2...... you've got email.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:19 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Telephone Mount and Cellular Antenna

Toby, thanks for the information.

Of concern is this statement: "Not for vehicles with PCM2.0 (I No. PF1/PF2 up to and including model year '04)." The instructions state these are the anti-dazzle mirrors.

The instructions define connecting the rear panel mute, YEL/BLK, to rear panel connection A3. This is the factory mute connection for the CDR23 and has been reported to work with the PCM2.

The instructions do not define where to connect the telephone audio input, wires GRY/RED and GRY/WHT. These two new wires also end at the rear of the PCM2/CDR23. My guess is that these connect to D12 and D7, respectively. These are the factory telephone input connections for the CDR23, but the PCM2 factory phone uses MOST to get the remote voice to the speakers.

The instructions do not define connecting the microphone to the new wiring harness.

The instructions define reprogramming the PCM2, to enable hands-free mode. So, if the PST2 is required, then this will include a trip to the dealer.

This system bypasses MOST. So, no PCM2 keypad dialing. No PCM2 address book. But, hands free, automatic muting, through the stereo. And, support for LOTS of telephones.

The telephone mount, 955 552 715 00, is shown in my 2/22/04 post, in this topic: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=101337

The cellular antenna, 955 647 106 00, is shown in this image. It uses two existing screws, one from the third taillight, one from the antenna amplifier bracket and a new screw, N 908 401 02, for mounting to the spoiler.

An image of the dual microphone, included with all PCM2 vehicles, is in the next reply.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2004, 11:20 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Default Hands-free and Audio Pilot Microphone

Dual Microphone, standard on PCM2.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2004, 09:08 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Toby Pennycuff
Group 9 Cayenne #5/04 "Telephone Kit" and
Group 9 Cayenne #0402 "THB System 8 Telephone Installation Instructions"

I have a hardcopy of the first document, and am on the hunt for the second. I may be able to get a copy later next week from Park Place.
The document I've reviewed does NOT appear to be this "Telephone Kit" document. They both have the same number, 5/04, but different titles. The other is: "Preparation for Mobile Phone Installation Instructions". A review of other TSB documents show they use that same number for different documents. ( It is too bad that there is only a limited quantity of numbers, forcing Porsche to use the same number on different documents... )

It is still not clear, for examining this document, of the installation differences for the PCM2 versus the CDR23. For example, the new dual microphone connects to this new harness, but the existing dual microphone is already connected to the PCM2. Also, the vehicle is taken apart and reassembled, but the fiber optical MOST ring is NOT rerouted to under the passenger seat, for the new mobile phone E-Box.

The E-Box may just be an interconnection box, with an NPN transistor to drive the mute input.

Has anyone tried providing analog audio input, to the PCM2, while properly driving the mute, as described in my prior post?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:41 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

The document includes this statement: "The Porsche Cell Solution requires a dealer-installed phone prep kit that integrates with the analog audio system or the fiber optic digital bus on all new Porsche models. This system is not available for vehicles fitted with the Porsche Communication Management System."

This related statement was previously posted: "Not for vehicles with PCM2.0 (I No. PF1/PF2 up to and including model year '04)."

There is also this statement, from the brochure: "The Porsche Cell Solution is not compatible with the Porsche Communication Management System in all 911, Boxster and Cayenne models."

Does anyone else see a disturbing trend?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:54 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have hope. So much of the wording appears self contradictory, I am hoping these statements are just unintentionally misleading. But, yes, you're right, it's not looking good.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Did you ever think that the reason that the prep kit is not for PCMII fitted vehicles is because its already there ?
Old 04-11-2004, 02:00 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by mudman2
Did you ever think that the reason that the prep kit is not for PCMII fitted vehicles is because its already there ?
Interesting thought...

My examination revealed that my PCM2 tt did not come with the telephone antenna or the antenna wire.

Underneath my passenger seat is an empty mounting location that looks like where the telephone module would mount.

The MOST link is not routed under the seat, as it is an unbroken ring, with no other components located there.

There was no empty telephone mount, on the passenger side of the console.

In fact, the only phone component, on my tt, is the dual microphone, connected to the PCM2. One of these microphones is used for the AudioPilot, the other is reserved for the telephone.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Part 1 of More Research

From some additional reading I have done in Volume 9 of the Workshop Manuals (Electronics), there are specific sections that deal with the telephone remove&replace procedures. I also took a look at PET to see what parts are detailed for the telephone installation.

Interestingly, the installation process for the telephone mount mirrors the information contained in the bulletin I got from Park Place. While this is an educated (?) guess, here's what I'm thinking at this point....

1. The kit I purchased from Park Place yesterday is the baseline kit needed to support telematics in the Cayenne. It includes the base wiring for the antenna and the electrical wiring necessary to support a telephone control unit at some point in the future. It also includes the telephone antenna, the base handset mounting system and the microphone (needed ONLY if you do not have the Bose amplifier with AudioPilot installed).

NOTE: there is no notion of a control unit or any other component included in the prep kit. It is as it is titled...... a PREP kit.

2. Once you have the prep kit installed, you must still acquire the telephone control unit and get it installed. It's clear from reading the workshop manual that the telephone control unit is the interface point into MOST. The remove&replace procedure specifically mentions the connections for power and the optical waveguide. If you delve deeper into PET for supporting information, you will see that the optical ring runs thusly...... radio/headunit (regardless of CDR23 or PCM-II) to amplifier to CD Changer to telephone control unit to radio/headunit. If you do not have a CD Changer or telephone, the fiber route goes directly back to the radio/headunit from the amplifier. If you have a Changer but no telephone, the route goes from the changer back to the radio. If you have amplifier, changer and telephone, the last participant in the fiber ring is the telephone control unit.

Toby
Old 04-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Part Two of More Research

Continued from prior post........

3. It appears from PET that there may be different telephone control units dependent upon whether you have a hands-free phone setup using the "universal" VDA standard or the active/passive handset setup. The only reason I am making this particular assumption is that the current control unit is only listed for RoW models (not USA/Japan) and is a 996 part number. The current setup seems to assume use of PCM-II and the handset that is installed in the armrest. I think the control unit for the VDA setup will be a new part number yet to be announced. However, if you read the Cullman info referenced earlier in this thread, you can see where Porsche is going with this setup.

4. My guess, at this point, is that the "Main Kit" I noted in my earlier post will contain the necessary fiber and connectors to provide the connection into the MOST ring and other ancillary parts to complete the base installation. The "ECU" is the new control unit that will provide the interface between the handset cradle (and thus the phone itself) and the MOST ring as well as the necessary programming to support things like MUTE on call, Microphone interface, etc.... Finally, the VDA Short Cable appears to be the cable necessary to run between the phone cradle and the control unit. When you look at the Cullman cradles, you can the three parts of the system - a standard mount that attaches to the Cayenne "Oh-Sh*t" handle, a standard interface plate that is attached to the mount and the cradle itself. You can also see a standard interface cable that plugs into the back of the standard interface plate. And when you look at the factory workshop manual for the telephone procedures, there is an explicit reference to the removal of the interface plate and cradle.

It's all speculation at this point, but I feel like we're getting close to an answer. I will probe on the PCM-II support question tomorrow. I'm hoping that the limitation is on PCM-I not being supported, and that PCM-II is supported.

Anyone else care to join the fray? And for you RoW'ers, if you have a telephone solution installed, where, pray tell, do you insert your SIM card???

Toby
Old 04-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Fiber Routing Diagram from PET

Here's what I was describing in an earlier post about the MOST fiber routing.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Porsche Cell Solution For Cayenne