Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The right way to install wireless CarPlay, wireless charging and a backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 04:59 PM
jacqueusi
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Greatly enjoying my Qi phone mount and wireless Apple AirPlay. Thank you for the suggestion. Next project is replacing that horrible backup camera with the Xtrons model. I have the parts but it's 28F outside for the time being :-(
The following users liked this post:
odfijoij (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 08:47 PM
odfijoij
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

See ‘Unit Socket Sketch Map’ on the Seicane Android Head Unit (HU):

[Optional] If you want use the FM radio on the head unit — plug in the car’s antenna cable into the HU (Seicane kit should come with the right adapter cable).

[Optional] Plug the “Fakra C Plug for GPS” cable into the blue Porsche connector and HU (Connector 8).

Plug the “Wireless CarPlay Dongle” to Android HU USB port (Connector 6).

Plug the “Dash USB thing (port)” into the CarPlay dongle (That way you can use an iPhone cable to plug an iPhone into the CarPlay dongle).

I don’t always use the USB port — so I bought a a USB Dust Cover to make it look neater.

Amazon Amazon

“Rennline Car Mount” and “Wireless Charger” are super simple to install.

Buck Converter: I put it in the ashtray (I pulled it out and gutted it). Plug the USB C cable into the Wireless Charger to power it.

Connect the black and red wires on the buck converter (using the “Solder Seal Wire Connectors”) to two wires that are long enough to reach the right fuse box (run them behind the glovebox). Connect the red wire to the “Add-a-fuse Adaptor”, install a fuse (I used 5A). Use a fuse location that is off then the car ignition is off — check with a voltmeter, just to be on the safe side. Connect the black (ground) wire to the metal frame around the fuse box.

CPJExc:

You need to connect it to power, and the can bus signals. The USB end you plug into a PC initially (for programming) and then into the HU (it is a USB keyboard, as far as the HU is concerned).

Power: Run a red wire from a fuse the right fusebox (check that it is off when the car is off) — connect this to the ‘ACC’ wire on the CPJExc. Connect the CPJexc ground wire to the metal frame in the car.

Radio Wiring Harness: [Only needed if you are *not* going to use the Seicane CANBUS Adapter in your install] Wire the red plug up to the CANH and CANL wires on the CPJExc. So — the Porsche’s can bus connector goes to the CPJExc and nothing else.

[If you *are* going to use the Seicane CANBUS Adapter in your install]

You need to connect the Porsche’s CANH and CANL wires to the CPJExc *and* the can bus decoder.

Your options here are to cut into the Porsche (or Seicane) CANH & CANL wires to tap the signal for the CPJExc…

Or — to avoid permanent changes — get the “Mini ISO Wiring Adapter For AUDI and VW Cars”. Plug it in inbetween the Porsche and the Seican Canbus decoder (it is just an extension cable...).

Cut into the wiring adapter and tap the CANH & CANL wires for the CPJExc.

Once you have power and can bus hooked up to the CPJExc, plug the USB end into a PC, start the car, and program it (it comes with decent instructions). Once you are done, plug the CPJExc USB cable into the HU USB port (Connector 7).
Old 01-01-2021, 09:02 PM
odfijoij
Track Day

I upgraded to an iPhone 12 with MagSafe, and upgraded my wireless holder/charger to this Teckape product (it mounts to the RennLine ExactFit 17mm ball):

https://teckape.com/collections/char...-for-iphone-12

The magnets hold on to the iPhone quite well, it charges fast (not as much power as a 'real' MagSafe charger though...), and it matches the original Porsche trim quite well.

Last edited by odfijoij; 01-03-2021 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:10 PM
SheaTuned
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odfijoij
I upgraded to an iPhone 12 with MagSafe, and upgraded my wireless holder/charger to this Teckape product (it mounts to the RennLine ExactFit 17mm ball):

https://teckape.com/collections/char...-for-iphone-12

The magnets hold on to the iPhone quite well, it charges fast (not as much power as a 'real' MagSafe charger though...), and it matches the original Porsche trim quite well.
Just curious but why did you choose to use the buck converter for power to the wireless charger instead of using the provided USB-C power cable and plugging it into the USB port on the Seicane for power?
Old 01-09-2021, 03:14 PM
odfijoij
Track Day

Originally Posted by Patrick Shea
Just curious but why did you choose to use the buck converter for power to the wireless charger instead of using the provided USB-C power cable and plugging it into the USB port on the Seicane for power?
You could probably do that!

I wanted to use the USB ports on my Seicane for other purposes, and the buck converter should provide more power.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:14 PM
SheaTuned
Advanced

Oh thats right because the Wireless Carplay takes one USB, and the CPJEXc uses the other correct?
Also this is where I am at. I have the dash taken apart and removed. Organizing everything else and I think I am missing a key detail somewhere as well as have a few questions for you. Also to preface again I am NOT using the Seicane Canbus Adaptor, and did not buy the Mini Iso.
  1. What do I need to do with the Seicane harness provided?
  2. On the Optical MOST provided, do the Red (Acc), Black (Ground), & Yellow(B+) wires from the MOST connect to anything? I assume I plug in both Male MOST AUX's into the Female AUX's on the #4 RCA/Aux/Video Harness?
  3. The two harnesses above (Red & Black) I do not need the black one? What am I doing with the Red one? This is where I think I am most lost.
  4. On the CPJEXc since I am only using the Purple, Grey, Red, Black, can the other wires be snipped and capped? Looks like the middle connector can be removed from the CPJEXc entirely.
  5. Where did you place or mount the CPJEXc? I feel as if I need to enclose it and secure it somewhere.

Last edited by SheaTuned; 01-09-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:41 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 224 Posts

Seems like a pain in the *** when you can just call Crutchfield, order a head unit with a plug and play connector and steering wheel control adapter for your cayenne (with or without Bose system). Plug your phone into a USB cable that connects to the head unit and away you go. My steering wheel controls run my head unit, they control car play. I get full car integration with the exception of the radio station in the cluster, and really who cares about that.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:19 PM
SheaTuned
Advanced

This is where I am at:
I have Spliced & Soldered the MOST into the Seicane Wiring Harness as listed below. Please tell me if this is wrong in anyway.
  • MOST ACC (red) to the Seicane Harness #5 AMPCON (Blue & Black Stripe)
  • MOST B+ (Yellow) to the Seicane Harness #16 Batt 12V (Yellow)
  • MOST Ground (Black) to the Seicane Harness #15 Ground (Black)
Ran Red/Black behind glovebox to Right Fuse Box for Buck Converter to Fuse #46 (what fuse # did you use for your buck converter and CPJEXc?)
And... this is all I have done. haha
The Cayenne goes into the shop Wednesday to get lifted & ECS aluminum Intake pipes installed. Then I leave Saturday for Asheville so really am hoping to get this working. I greatly appreciate your help with my lack of knowledge on this.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:55 PM
odfijoij
Track Day

“Seems like a pain in the *** when you can just call Crutch-field”

Well, if you want easy and practical, just buy a new Honda :P

(I didn’t like any of the Crutchfield options; I wanted wireless CarPlay and wireless charging; I liked the look of the Seicane, and I wanted to customize it a bit. But, good to know they have more ready-made options…)

“What do I need to do with the Seicane harness provided?”

You’ll only be using it for power — so plug the black 8-pin connector into the one end of the harness, and the other end into the Seicane.

“On the Optical MOST provided, do the Red (Acc), Black (Ground), & Yellow(B+) wires from the MOST connect to anything?“

You have to hook those up to power the MOST - no sound otherwise. (Also - before you remove the stock PCM, be sure to turn up the volume up loud - the replacement parts you are installing can’t change the amp volume like the stock PCM can.)

“I assume I plug in both Male MOST AUX's into the Female AUX's on the #4 RCA/Aux/Video Harness?”

I plugged “FRONT L(EFT” and “FRONT R(IGHT)” form the Seicane into the MOST.

The two harnesses above (Red & Black) I do not need the black one? What am I doing with the Red one? This is where I think I am most lost.

You do not need the black one (It is for power; you are using the Seicane’s wiring for power)

On the CPJEXc since I am only using the Purple, Grey, Red, Black, can the other wires be snipped and capped? Looks like the middle connector can be removed from the CPJEXc entirely.

Where did you place or mount the CPJEXc? I feel as if I need to enclose it and secure it somewhere.

Yep, you only need those four wires (and the USB cable). I just tucked all the wired into the blue heat-shrink sleeve that comes with the CPJExc. I tucked the CPJExc up and to the left of the PCM cavity.

Ran Red/Black behind glovebox to Right Fuse Box for Buck Converter to Fuse #46 (what fuse # did you use for your buck converter and CPJEXc?)

I forget (I’ll go check - just pick something that’ll be 0v when the car’s ignition is off). You can test it with a voltmeter.

Remember to wire up the 12V from the fuse box into the ACC in the Seicane power supply port - this makes it wake up when the car’s ignition is on.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:15 PM
SheaTuned
Advanced

Originally Posted by odfijoij
On the CPJEXc since I am only using the Purple, Grey, Red, Black, can the other wires be snipped and capped? Looks like the middle connector can be removed from the CPJEXc entirely.

Where did you place or mount the CPJEXc? I feel as if I need to enclose it and secure it somewhere.

Yep, you only need those four wires (and the USB cable). I just tucked all the wired into the blue heat-shrink sleeve that comes with the CPJExc. I tucked the CPJExc up and to the left of the PCM cavity.

I forget (I’ll go check - just pick something that’ll be 0v when the car’s ignition is off). You can test it with a voltmeter.

Remember to wire up the 12V from the fuse box into the ACC in the Seicane power supply port - this makes it wake up when the car’s ignition is on.
Seems like I am on the right track. I think the only parts I need confirmation on are:
  1. Where I wire the CPJEXc Purple & Grey. I re-read the previous posts but either I am looking at something wrong or I am simply dumb haha. -- Are you snipping everything off the Red Wire Harness less the Purple & Grey, soldering the CPJexc Purple & Grey to the Red Harness, and then plugging the Porsche Canbus Connector into the Red Wire Harness?
  2. Confirmation that my MOST is wired correctly, or in a way that will work at least.
  3. So in total there is this, the Buck Converter, and CPJexc all running new lines to the Fuse Box? What physical Fuse #'s did you connect to & what amp Fuses did you use for each?

Last edited by SheaTuned; 01-10-2021 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:41 PM
odfijoij
Track Day

Where I wire the CPJEXc Purple & Grey. I re-read the previous posts but either I am looking at something wrong or I am simply dumb haha.
Purple - CANH(igh) - Top Right on connector (orange/purple wire on my Porsche)
Gray - CANL(ow) - Bottom Right on connector (orange/brown wire on my Porsche)

Confirmation that my MOST is wired correctly, or in a way that will work at least.
Looks good...

Definitely missed the part about 12v to ACC. So am I tapping into #6 ACC (Red) on the Seicane Power Plug, and running another line to the Fuse Box? If so, in total there is this, the Buck Convert, and CPEJx all running new lines to the Fuse Box
(If you have the CANBUS decoder - you can try that first, to see if everything works, as it is simpler)

(When not using the CANBUS decoder - yes, you have to wire the #6 ACC into the fuse box tap to make the Seicane wake up.)

I used the same fuse box tap for the CPJExc and the Seicane #6 ACC; they don't draw much power.

I used another fuse box tap for the buck converter - it draws more power, so I wanted it on it's own fuse.

You can probably use 46 / 47 / 55 in the fuse box.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:10 PM
SheaTuned
Advanced

Well all this time I just was looking at something wrong. I am 90% done, but hit one more road block. Everything works, powers up, I have audio, CarPlay is updated....BUT my CPJexc is not being recognized when plugged in to my PC, or something.
I have plugged it in, and got the red LED to power on, but JoyCon says "Device is not connected."
The red LED does not come on every time either. I have it wired to the same ACC as the Seicane Harness so it must be getting power.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:26 PM
odfijoij
Track Day

Originally Posted by Patrick Shea
Well all this time I just was looking at something wrong. I am 90% done, but hit one more road block. Everything works, powers up, I have audio, CarPlay is updated....BUT my CPJexc is not being recognized when plugged in to my PC, or something.
I have plugged it in, and got the red LED to power on, but JoyCon says "Device is not connected."
The red LED does not come on every time either. I have it wired to the same ACC as the Seicane Harness so it must be getting power.
I ran into the same issue. The CPJExc can be a bit finicky when it comes to USB cables; the first one I tried didn’t work.

I tried a different USB cable, and it worked without issues.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:48 AM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
Seems like a pain in the *** when you can just call Crutchfield, order a head unit with a plug and play connector and steering wheel control adapter for your cayenne (with or without Bose system). Plug your phone into a USB cable that connects to the head unit and away you go. My steering wheel controls run my head unit, they control car play. I get full car integration with the exception of the radio station in the cluster, and really who cares about that.
Jeff Spahn…..That's what I want! What radio do you have?
Old 01-12-2021, 09:10 AM
SheaTuned
Advanced

Originally Posted by kino1161
Jeff Spahn…..That's what I want! What radio do you have?
I went with this for various reasons.
  1. The biggest screen offered by anyone else that was "flush in-dash" was 7" before it became one of the "floating" head units. The Seicane is 9", flush in-dash.
  2. The dash kit on the Seicane is cleaner, more OEM looking than the dash kits I have seen offered on other units. I prefer it to look as stock as possible. Plus the larger screen provides less plastic surround.
  3. I wanted wireless charging & carplay, which you can get on others but Crutchfields Harness for the Bose System alone is $260.
  4. I can add the Wireless OBDII and get all readings on my dash through the Torque App.
  5. This is just icing on the cake but the android based system allows countless apps to be added.
Total cost of other units matched or exceeded the total cost of this system -- before considering adding wireless charging, carplay, and Rennline Phone Mount.

Last edited by SheaTuned; 01-12-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: The right way to install wireless CarPlay, wireless charging and a backup camera