Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 CTT Mystery Breather Hose help please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 07:51 PM
mark_ctt
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '05 CTT Mystery Breather Hose help please?

Does anyone know where this particular breather hose needs to be installed?

I started working on an AC compressor replacement project last fall, (Life happened between now and then, in case you were wondering why it's been sitting for this long) and had everything removed and stored in groups based on their general location, and for some reason I didn't document where this particular breather hose came from. I've scoured other threads on this site, and Pelican, and even watched a ton of unrelated YouTube videos in the hopes that I would see this hose in its intended location, and hit blanks every time. I downloaded the official Porsche parts diagram PDF, and searched every hit for 'hose' or 'breather' and can't locate the exact hose there either. I can't even find the corresponding side the hose would fit over, either. It doesn't have a part number printed or embossed on it, so hopefully someone here will recognize it.

I suspect it's related to the charcoal canisters somehow, but nothing I've seen online seems to match the part size and length. The hose is @19 inches long, has a 1" OD and 3/4" ID. It also has a secondary sleeve around most if it. It's obviously not on the pressurized side of the crankcase breather system, since the clamps are low-tension units that compress easily with very little effort.

Pics attached for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mark

Breather hose view 1

Breather hose view 2
Old 08-24-2020, 09:20 PM
mark_ctt
Track Day

Default Anyone able to help?

Hopefully someone here knows where this breather hose should be installed.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:30 AM
alex532
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry but that doesn’t even look like a hose Porsche would use...the connectors look more like something that you would buy at Home Depot instead of an auto parts store too.

my recommendation is to spend and hour just looking at the car and documenting the stuff you have and where it goes...once done you should find something that is missing a hose.

maybe a previous owner replaced the plastic turbo breather hose with what you have...
Old 08-30-2020, 11:31 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

V6 or V8? I agree, that doesn't look factory. Might be a DIY solution?

Disregard. Saw that it's at CTT/V8. Will see if anything matches dimensionally in mine.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:25 PM
mark_ctt
Track Day

Originally Posted by alex532
Sorry but that doesn’t even look like a hose Porsche would use...the connectors look more like something that you would buy at Home Depot instead of an auto parts store too.

my recommendation is to spend and hour just looking at the car and documenting the stuff you have and where it goes...once done you should find something that is missing a hose.

maybe a previous owner replaced the plastic turbo breather hose with what you have...
That's what I thought as well, but...

I'm the second owner, and the previous owner had 100% of the service done at the Porsche dealership, so the odds of that being some kind of DIY fix are extremely low. The inside of the hose had some light oil deposits in it, and the fumes from it smell like crankcase fumes, rather than gasoline or coolant, which narrows down the possible uses for it.

I'm going back under the car to look again at where that might go, armed with a much brighter shop light.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:38 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

That kind of hose looks like a no-pressure drain hose, like for A/C condensate or something along those lines where it drips through the pipe, versus something pumping through it. Evap system "breather" hoses are snap fitted and sealed so they won't come off.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:42 PM
mark_ctt
Track Day

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm replacing the battery now and will turn it over a couple times to see if oil spews out!
Old 09-05-2020, 06:35 PM
mark_ctt
Track Day

Success!! New battery installed, a twice-over under the hood check for any tools left behind, and it fired up on the first turn of the key after sitting for 9 months!

Now I just need to change the oil, and take it to a mechanic friend's shop to get the AC system purged and recharged.
The following 2 users liked this post by mark_ctt:
Dilberto (09-07-2020), DIYDanCars (09-15-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 07:02 AM
alex532
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_ctt
Success!! New battery installed, a twice-over under the hood check for any tools left behind, and it fired up on the first turn of the key after sitting for 9 months!

Now I just need to change the oil, and take it to a mechanic friend's shop to get the AC system purged and recharged.
I’ve had extra screws left over before but never a hose...are you saying you never figured out where the mystery hose goes so you left it off?
Old 09-14-2020, 12:44 PM
mark_ctt
Track Day

Lightbulb

Update on The Mystery Hose:

Yesterday, my neighbor asked me to help with a wiring issue on his daughter's 2008 Highlander, and as I was working on it, I noticed the EXACT SAME hose was connected to the air intake system, and a tiny dim lightbulb went off in the back of my brain.

Last fall, before COVID and all the craziness associated with that, he swapped the engine on it, and I saw that breather hose on the engine he pulled, and thought I could use portions of it to restore the brittle, broken section on my CTT.. So, I tossed it on the pile of existing breather hoses and associated plenum parts, and completely forgot that I had grabbed it.

As a friend pointed out once, as you age, you don't necessarily become more forgetful, you just get better at hiding things from yourself!

Anyway, lesson learned. If you remove it, tag it.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:23 AM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Update on The Mystery Hose:

Yesterday, my neighbor asked me to help with a wiring issue on his daughter's 2008 Highlander, and as I was working on it, I noticed the EXACT SAME hose was connected to the air intake system, and a tiny dim lightbulb went off in the back of my brain.

Last fall, before COVID and all the craziness associated with that, he swapped the engine on it, and I saw that breather hose on the engine he pulled, and thought I could use portions of it to restore the brittle, broken section on my CTT.. So, I tossed it on the pile of existing breather hoses and associated plenum parts, and completely forgot that I had grabbed it.

As a friend pointed out once, as you age, you don't necessarily become more forgetful, you just get better at hiding things from yourself!

Anyway, lesson learned. If you remove it, tag it.
This is so me! I definitely would have done something like that too. Glad to hear you got it figured out! There is nothing more satisfying than completing a big job like that. Congrats!

How many miles are on your Cayenne? I'm curious how long the original compressor lasted.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:22 AM
mark_ctt
Track Day

Thanks for the kudos! The compressor crapped out at right around 101k miles, but since this is Texas, that's probably closer to 300k in actual usage hours.

Yeah, as with any newer vehicle, what used to be a simple single-threaded task turns into "Take apart everything from the headlights to the firewall" and fortunately the AC compressor replacement was somewhat less of a hassle than that. In the process, I also found a bunch of brittle plastic breather hose sections, and had to cobble those together with some heater hose and zip ties (need to replace the heater hose section with oil-resistant hose) which was the original reason I snagged the hunk of hose from my neighbor's Toyota, but as it turns out, it's not the right diameter.

While I was racking my brains trying to figure out where that hose came from, I was looking over the hose diagram for my wife's 2011 BMW 328i convertible, and found a section on Pelican that looks like it'd be almost the exact same replacement for the small section on my car that connects to the back of the three port manifold that's plugged into the AOS. It might be 1/2 an inch longer, but the end fittings look identical to the Porsche ones, and rather than the outrageous $160 that Porsche charges for it, it's $12.

I'm going to order one and see how it fits.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:33 AM
mark_ctt
Track Day

This is the hose I'm talking about.

Here's the Porsche replacement (First image)

And here's the BMW unit:
Attached Images   
Old 09-15-2020, 01:09 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

This is the hose I'm talking about.

Here's the Porsche replacement (First image)

And here's the BMW unit:
Replacing an AC compressor in one of these cars is pretty laughable! I call it stupid engineer, while the Porsche calls it "German engineering". You're a smart man for doing some "while you're in there" (WYAIT) repairs. In the end it will eventually pay off. For the last year I had my Cayenne, it was just as reliable as our Lexus, and I think it was because of all of the WYAIT stuff that I did.

Yeah, those plastic hoses are crazy expensive from Porsche! I remember when the plastic line from my brake booster cracked. I called the Porsche dealer to get a quote for this plastic line and me and the parts guy were laughing pretty hard once he found out the price. Obviously I passed on the replacement part and just used some heater hose and hose clamps to fix mine.

I wonder if you could salvage the ends (connectors) from the old plastic lines and maybe slip some heater hose over them?
Old 09-15-2020, 01:16 PM
mark_ctt
Track Day

Originally Posted by DIYDanCars
Replacing an AC compressor in one of these cars is pretty laughable! I call it stupid engineer, while the Porsche calls it "German engineering". You're a smart man for doing some "while you're in there" (WYAIT) repairs. In the end it will eventually pay off. For the last year I had my Cayenne, it was just as reliable as our Lexus, and I think it was because of all of the WYAIT stuff that I did.

Yeah, those plastic hoses are crazy expensive from Porsche! I remember when the plastic line from my brake booster cracked. I called the Porsche dealer to get a quote for this plastic line and me and the parts guy were laughing pretty hard once he found out the price. Obviously I passed on the replacement part and just used some heater hose and hose clamps to fix mine.

I wonder if you could salvage the ends (connectors) from the old plastic lines and maybe slip some heater hose over them?
That's exactly what I did for a couple of the breather hoses:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-hose-fix.html

Zip ties and heater hose, although I need to replace the heater hose with something oil-resistant so the inside of the hose doesn't turn to sticky goo.

Quick Reply: '05 CTT Mystery Breather Hose help please?