Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20" Sport Techno Wheels, left and right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004 | 04:12 PM
66Shelby
Cruisin'

Question 20" Sport Techno Wheels, left and right?

I just took off the winter tires and put my 20" Sport Technos back on. I had marked each tire with the position I took them off the truck. Then I looked at all the rims and the tires and noted that the tires and rims do not face the same direction on the left side compared to the right side. The tread pattern faces in the opposite direction on the right side compared to the left. Are the rims directional - meaning is there a seperate part number for left side and right side, because they do not match?

I tried swapping them around (before bolting on)and they end up the same no matter where I put them.

I have the Michelin Diamaris tires, no directional arrows, but they sure look like the tread pattern is.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-15-2004 | 03:39 PM
James McGoff
Intermediate

I queried this with Porsche GB when I took delivery of my TT with 20" sport technos as the spokes face a different direction on each side of the car and as you will know the spoke is shaped ie a thin edge and a fat edge and I could not believe that this would not disrupt the airflow over the brakes as one side would be puling air out from the wheel and one side would be blowing in, however I have never recieved a reply so I visited the dealer and they had never had the question asked before!
We went out to look at a 996 TT with sport technos and it was apparent that the wheels face different directions on each side and as such the dealer thought this must be OK
Let me know what you find out?
Old 03-15-2004 | 03:40 PM
James McGoff
Intermediate

PS how is the tyre wear?
mine are nearly worn out at 7K
Old 03-15-2004 | 05:11 PM
66Shelby
Cruisin'

James,

Went to Michelins site and the Porsche site. Michelin does not state the Daimaris is Uni-Directional, however, any high speed tire I have had, including the ones on my 996, are unidirectional.

The Porsche site only has one number for the Sport Techno Rims. I even read the barcode sticker on the inside of the rims and they are the same also.

I pulled up several pictures of other Cayennes in the Gallery section and compared right and left side pictures and the rims face opposite directions in all the pictures.

I'll keep digging and post what I find out

Matt
Old 03-15-2004 | 08:11 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

My tt came with the Sport Techno wheels / Diamaris as a factory option. The right and left wheels are different. Both sides have the sloping edge facing forward and the straight edge on the rear.

The tires, however, are the same on both sides. An examination of the tire reveals text indicating the exterior side. It was correctly reported that these tires appear unidirectional, but Michelin is instructing only to have the interior and exterior mounted as specified.
Old 03-15-2004 | 08:38 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

The first three images, of the Titanium S, in this topic: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=117060 in the 3/3/04 post by ngfan, show the passenger side wheels as I describe. The driver's side front, is as I describe, but the driver's side rear has a passenger side wheel.
Old 03-16-2004 | 09:39 AM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check out the pics on my site, do I have 4 right side wheels? Wingless, do you have pics of your wheels? Can you post them or email them to me and I'll post them on my web site next to mine. czach928@aol.com

Pics of 20" Sport Techno wheels
Old 03-16-2004 | 12:04 PM
66Shelby
Cruisin'

OKAY, so I have looked at dozens of pictures of these wheels and they are all the same, the blades face forward on the drivers side and the other direction on the passenger side.

I looked at the tires and the tread block pattern is installed the same on all 4 tires, just the direction of the tread is reversed from passenger to drivers side.

Called my dealer and left a message, I'll post what they say.
Old 03-16-2004 | 12:24 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just went out into my garage where I also have a set of wheels from a 1997 C4S and guess what. The same issue exists with these wheels too. The C4S wheels are all the same and depending on which side of the car they are on, the spokes are facing a different way. If Porsche has just one part number for the 20" wheel, my guess is there is NOT a right and left side. Its just more noticeable on the 20" Cayenne wheel because the spokes have more definition to them than on the smaller 993/996 wheels.
Old 03-16-2004 | 03:14 PM
66Shelby
Cruisin'

Dealer called back and said the following:

Only one part number for the TechnoSport Rims - even checked model on the floor with factory option and they face the opposite direction on passenger side and drivers side.

Called Michelin and the Diamaris is an Asymmetric tire design, not a Symmetric tire pattern.

Bottom line - everything is the way it is supposed to.

Case closed!!
Old 03-16-2004 | 09:33 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by wingless
My tt came with the Sport Techno wheels / Diamaris as a factory option. The right and left wheels are different. Both sides have the sloping edge facing forward and the straight edge on the rear.

The tires, however, are the same on both sides. An examination of the tire reveals text indicating the exterior side. It was correctly reported that these tires appear unidirectional, but Michelin is instructing only to have the interior and exterior mounted as specified.
While this tire information is correct, the wheel information is not, as others have also stated, sorry.
Old 03-17-2004 | 08:29 AM
66Shelby
Cruisin'

Wingless,

Look at the pictures in the thread you listed above. On the passenger side the blades face towards the front and on the drivers side they face towards the rear. In the Porsche Techquipment catalog - same deal. On Porsches site and other Porsche Vendor sites who sell this wheel they only have one part number. The Service Manager at MotorWerks where I purchased my Cayanne was agreeing with me on the phone that the wheels and tires should be directional. He called Porsche and Michelin and got the same story.

I stopped by the dealership yesterday after work and they had 2 with the same rims, both sides faced opposite directions.

If you can show me a picture or documentation that states otherwise I will be very excited. I think it may be a little **** to notice this type of thing, but it just doesn't make sense to me why they would make them this way.

Quick Reply: 20" Sport Techno Wheels, left and right?