955 Air Suspension woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 03:22 PM
dustinsc
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 955 Air Suspension woes

2005 Turbo, 199k miles.

I need some help figuring out how to get my air suspension leveling working correctly.

About a month ago, I lifted the front end to clean oil mess while searching for an oil leak. I neglected to disable the leveling before jacking the front end. Usually that isn't a big deal, but this time, the rear didn't ever come back down to normal level. I got the air suspension workshop message. So, I purchased and installed a compressor rebuild kit - and boy did it need it! But, still the same problem. I replaced the level control module with a used one from ebay with exactly the same part number, and they said it was from an 05 CTT, but still the same problem.

Here are the distances in inches between the top of the tire and the wheel well, in the following order: front left, front right, rear right, rear left. Once the level is reached, I turn off the car. If I try to move between levels very much with the car on, I'll get the air suspension failure red message, and then I can't do anything until I turn off the car and back on.

Special terrain 7.5, 7.5, 8, 8
Terrain 6.5, 6.5, 7.5, 7
Normal 5.5, 6, 7.5, 6.5
Low 4.5, 5, 7.5, 6.5
Loading 3, 3.5, 7.5, 6.5
and back to Special Terrain 7.5, 7.5, 8, 8

While driving, after some minutes, I'll get the air suspension failure red message.
It looks like the rear right level may be the cause? It does move, just 1/2 inch from special terrain to terrain, but nothing more.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited by dustinsc; 07-10-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I wonder if you could get things to reset by removing the sensor arm from the wheel that isn't responding. It will error out again, but then reconnecting the sensor arm might make it respond appropriately. Or maybe that wheel has a bad level sensor on it.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:27 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

It may be your rear air valves.
See my comments in these threads: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-question.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...oing-down.html
These valve are a wear item and they all fail eventually. At 199k, you should replace them regardless...
Old 07-11-2020, 06:12 PM
dustinsc
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you, Petza914. That's a great idea to try.

Thanks TomF, I've ordered the air valves and tool. That really seems to match the symptoms.

It is outstanding to get such great advice so quickly!
Old 07-11-2020, 09:18 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dustinsc
Thank you, Petza914. That's a great idea to try.

Thanks TomF, I've ordered the air valves and tool. That really seems to match the symptoms.

It is outstanding to get such great advice so quickly!
I hope our tips solve your issues. Please be very, very careful when you change out the valves. Without a lift, your arms can get crushed if you are not very careful.

Cheers!
Tom
Old 07-14-2020, 01:58 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Petza914,
Thank you for pointing to those links above.
That talks about the ability to just swap new O Rings and use the old part.

Does anyone have the specs/part# of just the O Ring?
I' have a 2005 as well just over 100K miles but I'd rather replace before I have an issue and prefer not to disassemble just to find that out.

thanks

Old 07-15-2020, 12:06 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reachme
Petza914,
Thank you for pointing to those links above.
That talks about the ability to just swap new O Rings and use the old part.

Does anyone have the specs/part# of just the O Ring?
I' have a 2005 as well just over 100K miles but I'd rather replace before I have an issue and prefer not to disassemble just to find that out.

thanks
You misunderstood the post- you can reuse the valve ends that are attached to the air lines and transfer the new o ring over to the old fitting on the air lines. Trust me, If you are in there, it is not worth just to replace the o rings and then discover the valves are shot.

Quick Reply: 955 Air Suspension woes