Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatal Bore Scoring - Cheap fix, dump or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 03:07 AM
derksma11
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fatal Bore Scoring - Cheap fix, dump or rebuild?

Hey guys. I overpaid for a cayenne turbo with bore scoring. All cylinders have moderate scoring I found using a cheap boresope, however all hold compression expect for #8 after doing a compression test. It doesn't even pressurize.

I want to dump it and cut my losses. I paid 15k cad and the vehicle is emaculate otherwise with 100000km. I'm in a cash crunch and wod lucky to get 12k at an auction. I dont think anyone wouldnd willingly pay 15000 for an engine that severely misfires.

My 4 options are (or arent):

1. Dump it at the auction and cut my losses
2. Put some restore teflon oil additive and hope the scoring fills temporarily so it makes it down the highway to the auction auction.
3.teardown the engine and put new piston rings (cant afford honing and new pistons or sleeping the cylinders (unless this can be done with $2000k )

My questions are
1.Is it possible to put something in the oil to make the knock quieter and make the engine run smoother temporarily so that I can get decent cash at the auction (maybe restore)?
2.how long for an average guy to teardown the engine , install rings, hone cylinders, install new pistons and put it back together. My biggest job had been a clutch in a 986 took me a weekend.
3. Anyone have a cheap cayenne turbo engine?
4. Anyone looking to take this off my hands?
5. What would someone be willing to pay if I fix it properly?
6. Is it possible that the cylinder holds no pressure because of bore scoring or is it more likely that I have a broken valve spring or stuck valve, maybe a head gasket as the coolant was low ?

I did a cold compression test today so I'm going to warm the engine tomorrow and try testing the compression on #8 again. If a wet test holds any pressure I will lean to option #1

Thanks for the input

Last edited by derksma11; 05-18-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 05-18-2019, 04:55 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Just so I'm clear - you got screwed now you want out advice on how to pass the screwing along? Please provide the VIN# so we know to avoid it.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just so I'm clear - you got screwed now you want out advice on how to pass the screwing along? Please provide the VIN# so we know to avoid it.
Yea, selling a known problem motor to someone else is a real douchebag move. I wouldn't be surprised if Don nukes your membership as you aren't the kind of people we need in the Rennlist community or Cayenne forum.

Be forthright - sell it as roller with a known bad motor and move on. Lesson learned by you.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:06 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

What year Cayenne?

Think Karma. Passing the buck will get back to you. Maybe this is it getting back?

Personal feelings aside, you only have two repair options.

1. New engine/ have one built. 8k+ minimum if you go with a Nichrome plating, new guts, and assemble/install it all yourself.
2. Used engine.

You cant quickly repair this engine due to the block material. I have a good used engine for sale.

What year?
Old 05-18-2019, 01:06 PM
derksma11
8th Gear

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
What year Cayenne?

Think Karma. Passing the buck will get back to you. Maybe this is it getting back?

Personal feelings aside, you only have two repair options.

1. New engine/ have one built. 8k+ minimum if you go with a Nichrome plating, new guts, and assemble/install it all yourself.
2. Used engine.

You cant quickly repair this engine due to the block material. I have a good used engine for sale.

What year?
It's a 2008 ctt. If I can find a decent used engine I do that and sell my gts. I am going to pull the top of the engine and check the valves. I'm 70% sure this isnt a piston problem causing 0 pressure in #8.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:05 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune but scamming someone else is the wrong way to go about it.

Now, was it a private sale or dealership purchase? If you bought it from a dealership you might be able to return it. If it's a private sale.. then the previous owner just screwed you and you don't really have any recourse.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:13 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Zubick
...3.teardown the engine and put new piston rings (cant afford honing and new pistons or sleeping the cylinders (unless this can be done with $2000k )...
I think resale values for 2008 CTT's at auction just took a nose dive.

#3 is definitely possible with that budget, even if it's only CAD. J'sWorld might even do it for you at that price.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:19 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Why would you even care about #8? Even if you had compression in #8, the engine itself is TRASH due to the scoring. This isn't something you'll eke an extra 20K to 30K miles out of...it'll become useless in less than 1,000 miles, and I'm betting you're at that point right now because of no compression in #8.

No one will give you $12,000 for a rolling paperweight. It's worth a few thousand if you sell outright or maybe a bit more if you take the time to part it out and sell piece by piece. Basically, YOU are out $12,000 based on your purchase price.

Your $2,000 "repair" budget won't come close to the cost of a used engine (which may also be scored), it won't cover the while you're in there things and it probably won't cover the labor you'd pay someone to remove and replace the engine.

I also see you edited out a lot of the things you said in your original post. Adding snake oil to cover up major engine damage reeks of scumbag used car salesman tactics dating back to putting sawdust in transmissions. Do that to the wrong guy and you'll end up in a world of hurt.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:19 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I think resale values for 2008 CTT's at auction just took a nose dive.

#3 is definitely possible with that budget, even if it's only CAD. J'sWorld might even do it for you at that price.
How would new piston rings fix the issue though?

Quickly checked eBay. A replacement motor from a 2009 Turbo (I think among the least likely to have the issue in the future) is about $5000 usd shipped. Add about another thousand for miscellaneous things and assuming you do the labor yourself, you can maybe get away with $6000. At that point you can dump it or keep it. You could recover about $8-10,000 if you dump it then (after subtracting the cost of repair)?
Old 05-18-2019, 02:35 PM
derksma11
8th Gear

I appreciate all the passion but I am not trying to scam anyone. If it is not worth much I will tear down my gts engine and swap blocks / pistons . I just want to get what it is worth. I come across salvage cayenne turbos selling for 10k all the time, so one in mint condition must be worth at least that. I had a 2004 cct with worse bore scoring and it ran for 7 years (still running well), so if I can fix the compression issue on my 08 I will keep it for myself. I feel many owners jump the gun on the bore scoring issue without doing complete research. In my experience, while you can have severely score cylinders, It doesn't mean you have a compression issue and proper oil changes will limit wear well beyond you think.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:39 PM
derksma11
8th Gear

Might be worth the time for a complete rebuild. You cant find a cct in my area for less than 25k with less than 140000km. Would resleeving and new stock pistons ne a better option than machining and oversized pistons/rings ?
Old 05-18-2019, 03:44 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Might be worth the time for a complete rebuild. You cant find a cct in my area for less than 25k with less than 140000km. Would resleeving and new stock pistons ne a better option than machining and oversized pistons/rings ?
I'm gonna make this my last post here. My used is a 4.5 so that won't help you. Either dump it honestly for a loss or next best option is 928 Motorsports service. Talk to Carl. Do it yourself. Enjoy your Cayenne for many years to come and when the time comes sell with confidence and the attraction of the engine work you invested in to the buyer. It will actually increase the value over others IMO. lessons learned. You live in a cold climate. I doubt you will make it much longer. I can see metal flakes/ chunks in the poor res. pic. It's toast. Don't be an idiot and ruin everything else in the engine too. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:23 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Is it possible to put something in the oil to make the knock quieter and make the engine run smoother temporarily so that I can get decent cash at the auction
Yes there is!
All P Cars thrive on native high oil hop pellets
I suggest a Tettnanger
https://www.simplyhops.com/hops/hop-...ellet-5kg.html
Start with not more than 500g
Awesome exhaust notes too

Old 05-19-2019, 07:58 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2004 cct with worse bore scoring and it ran for 7 years (still running well), so if I can fix the compression issue on my 08 I will keep it for myself. I feel many owners jump the gun on the bore scoring issue without doing complete research. In my experience, while you can have severely score cylinders, It doesn't mean you have a compression issue and proper oil changes will limit wear well beyond you think.
BEST POST of the thread right there!
I think you should tear down your gts and try to use the parts to fix your turbo....LOL That demonstrates a complete lack of understanding what you are up against. Based on that last sentence, I think you should show us all and run it till it dies, which will probably be sometime in the next 1000 miles as mentioned.
You gambled and lost on the Porsche engine lotto, time to suck it up.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:13 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

But he got 7 years out of another one with scored cylinders...and it's still running!
Sad part is that someone will run across a post like his in a Google search, believe the bull**** and end up buying a ticking time bomb, thinking it's no big deal.

Quick Reply: Fatal Bore Scoring - Cheap fix, dump or rebuild?