Interior Lighting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 01:55 PM
Aries Woźniak
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Lighting Issue

Hello guys!

I own a 2004 Cayenne Turbo and its interior lighting started to act very weird. When I open the car, the interior lights goes on as they should and turn signals flash once. But when lock the car, doors are locked, but indicators don´t flash twice and interior lighting stays on.
Interior lights don´t turn off when ignition is on either. They turn off with delay when I start the engine. After I turn off the car, interior lights turns on and turns off when I lock the car. Also the indicators flash twice.
Front passenger doors don´t unlock when opening the car. In order to open the passenger door, I have to push door lock button inside.

I replaced the battery because the old one had short circuit. The car acted very weird with the old one.
1. I got both yellow and red warning informations from air suspension every 10-20 seconds.
2. Interior lighting turned on and then off when pressing the passenger window switch up when window was closed when car was parked.
3. Passenger door warning showed up when I pressed passenger window switch up when car was moving.
4. Locks reacted when pressed open button but didn´t react when I pressed door lock button inside.
5. Passenger window was stuck sometimes.

Any solutions or ideas??
Old 01-19-2020, 10:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Pull up the carpeting and the thick foam padding on the front driver and passenger side looking for signs of water ingress. If it gets wet in there from clogged sunroof or cowl drains, the splices in the OEM wiring bundles corrode and then you get all kinds of odd electrical issues like you're having.

There's an excellent video on YouTube done by the Tech at Loeber Porsche in IL where he walks yiu through the whole diagnosis and repair. I'll warn you that it's not easy or inexpensive.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Aries Woźniak
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Petza914
Pull up the carpeting and the thick foam padding on the front driver and passenger side looking for signs of water ingress. If it gets wet in there from clogged sunroof or cowl drains, the splices in the OEM wiring bundles corrode and then you get all kinds of odd electrical issues like you're having.

There's an excellent video on YouTube done by the Tech at Loeber Porsche in IL where he walks yiu through the whole diagnosis and repair. I'll warn you that it's not easy or inexpensive.
Thank you for your answer!
I will check this out!
The car is at the service now. I had a call from mechanic and he told me that the battery wasn´t charged. He charged the battery and it seems to work normally right now.

UPDATE: Checked the battery voltage from the spot under the hood and it holds 12.55V and no drops. However the Angle Sensor kept triggering the alarm system when car didn´t stand on flat surface. Disabling the Angle Sensor solved the alarm issue. Interior lighting turns off immediately when I lock the car.
Also half of the car´s fuses were missing.

I will update how the car behaves in coming days.

Last edited by Aries Woźniak; 01-21-2020 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:11 PM
Aries Woźniak
4th Gear

The problem came back. When I parked the car and locked it, alarm has been triggered after 20 sec. I climbed inside, started the car and disabled Angle and Interior alarm sensors. I came back five hours later and I noticed that Start Engine message popped up on the display. After I have driven it for a hour I wanted to lock it but lights didn´t turn off again. And during the driving light turned on inside and a warning about open front passenger doors came up on the display. It was on for a while, then the message disappeared and lights turned off and then it started to happen randomly.

When I came to the service and locked the car, the interior light turned off and it turned on after few seconds and also triggered the alarm at the same time. I disabled the Angle and Interior sensors again through the Main Menu and tried to lock it again. The interior lights stayed on sometimes and sometimes they turned off and then on and triggered the alarm. I also noticed the car seemed to enable the sensors back by itself. The mechanic measured the Voltage both under hood and from the battery. It was 12.20V under the hood and 12V directly from battery.
The OBD scan through Delphi Diagnostics showed code 00470 and that there´s a open circuit somewhere. I guess it might have something to do with the wiring in front passenger doors.

Some other strange things I noticed:
1. Gauge cluster stopped flashing like it did for few days and it lights much stronger than before.
2. Left xenon light started flickering sometimes and right one did shut off once. Didn´t happen until today.
3. Sometimes, random messages from Air Suspension shows on the display. First Air Suspension Faulty and it dissappears. Then it pops up again and sometimes Warning! Air Suspension comes up but dissappears after three seconds.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Is this car a recent acquisition? I wonder about half the fuses being missing...

AND have you checked for dampness under the front carpets? Both sides..... until you do that we're going nowhere.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:10 AM
Aries Woźniak
4th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Is this car a recent acquisition? I wonder about half the fuses being missing...

AND have you checked for dampness under the front carpets? Both sides..... until you do that we're going nowhere.
Checked for dampness and nothing.
I charged battery again and car lighting turned off immediately, but when I wanted to raise the front passenger window, all lighting turned on. The mechanic will check all wires and cables in front passenger door to see if there´s a open circuit somewhere.
Error code 00470 didn´t disappear.

Voltage has also been checked. It has 13,5-13,6V when everything possible is switched on and 13,7-13,8 at idle.

I bought it quite recently. I was surprised when half of the fuses were missing and the fact that this car was only served at Porsche Center

I will update when wiring is checked.

Quick Reply: Interior Lighting Issue