Sponsored by:

Just got out of the Toureg sitting in my driveway

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts
Default Just got out of the Toureg sitting in my driveway

and this car is leaps and bounds from the Cayenne in the way it drives. Not even close. Candidly, I didn't like it and would not pay for it at any price. It felt floaty and reminded me of the floating feeling I got several years ago when test driving an Expedition. Not the same as Expedetion, but I am now used to the tight and responsive feeling of the Cayenne. Sorry to dog the Toureg, I was just shocked by the difference. I drove one around the block a while back, but today had to drive it about 30 minutes across town.

More Cayenne Navigation gremlins. Wife said Navigation blinked on her so she took it back in for a code check. Only complaint with Cayenne so far as wife thinks it has too many computers. They gave us a Toureg loaner.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I tell my customers, the Cayenne feels and drives like a Porsche, the Touareg feels and drives like a Volkswagen. Big difference.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I just asked my wife how she liked the Toureg as she has been driving it all day. She didn't and I won't use the exact words she used to describe it. She said it drove like a Jetta that was taller. (We once got a Jetta as a loaner when Cayenne in for service issues). The Porsche drives like a 911 that is taller. This comes from someone who is not really a car person.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ughh, a Jetta as a loaner!

My dealer has the right approach -- the only loaner cars they offer are Cayennes and Boxsters!
Old 03-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

They will call tomroorw if an when the Cayenne loaner returns.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:43 PM
dchoutx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you comparing non-air susp. vehicles or air suspension?

I came out of a Touareg V8 w/o air susp. I liked the ride and preferred the ride much more than the non-PSM CS. I gave up on the T-reg after 5 months because VW could not resolve the many Gremlins.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:08 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Ours has springs.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:25 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 575 Posts

Don't be so hard on the T-reg. I went back and forth for a month before deciding on a S. Wanted air suspension on either one. The T-reg I speced out had virtually every option but the interior was almost too nice and "too" luxurious. Too much wood and chrome- the Cayenne does cost more (13K more unfortunately) but I didn't want to think two months after driving the T-reg that I'd wished I'd gotten the pepper. Driven Porsches and VW-Audi products for over 30 years so the left sided ignition key finally decided it for me! Also like the wheel mounted tip buttons not available on the T-reg. If the Porsche didn't exist it would have been the T-reg in a minute over any of the rice SUV's...
Old 03-02-2004, 12:32 AM
dchoutx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only 13k more? I figured the full option, VW /CS was 25k+ difference.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:12 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

That hump in the middle dash reminds me of a Volkwagon Bettle. Didn't like. Wouldn't say much about it, but I find it funny how so many people say it is so much like a Cayenne and even my wife who is not a car person notices big differences. I would not buy it if no Cayenne. I would either go full size Suburban Denali, Escelade or maybe give Bimmer 1 more chance. Doubt it though. It would probably be the full size Denali because we actually need the third seat and more room. This is what we would have bought except for my test drive in the Cayenne.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:10 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

That little Porsche badge is an awesome ***** extender....
Old 03-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

So George, Is that why you bought your Porsche? Do we really need tasteless comments like that?
Old 03-02-2004, 11:53 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

You're right and I apologize.

But my point is why rag on the Toureag to extol the virtues of your Cayenne? Without the Toureag there wouldn't even BE a Cayenne.

For that matter without VW there wouldn't be a Porsche.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

The Cayenne vs Toureg debate took up 4-5 pages last time

While it may come off as ragging the Toureg I don't think that is really the point. The point was, I think, that there is a noticable difference in the driving dynamics of the two, even though they are similar in many ways. I think that it is a valid point that many Toureg owners would like to discount. Speaking of discounts..... isn't that the role of the Toureg to some extent?

You can call it justification by Cayenne owners but my personal experience, along with many Cayenne owners, is that there is a discernible difference between the two. For those who can not tell the difference, which is not in any way meant to be a slam on them, the Cayenne just isn't worth the extra dough.

The orginal post says to me that "I have driven both enough to know which I prefer". It is related to driving the car, not the badge on the hood, as some would like to suggest.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Hahaha, about the ***** issue. I hate to disappoint, but slap a Porsche badge on a Toureg and I would be driving the Denali. The Toureg was totaly uninspiring and I would opt for a third seat and larger vehicle to haul my (2) kids and (4) dogs to the lake in the summer if the Toureg was the only choice or if the Porsche drove/felt like a Toureg.

I am not looking to win a popularity contest, obviously. Just really suprised about the Toureg after spending more than a couple of minutes in it. I am sorry, but it ain't no Cayenne . . .

Last edited by Doug H; 03-02-2004 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Just got out of the Toureg sitting in my driveway