Sponsored by:

Just got out of the Toureg sitting in my driveway

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 01:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone else driven a Touareg? V6 or V8 air or steel springs?
I've driven the V8 Touareg with air springs and the V8 Cayenne and Cayenne Turbo on the same day. The Turbo had 20 inch wheels and the others had 18's. All had air suspension.
I put 50+ miles on the Touareg on freeway, in hilly suburban side streets and throwing it around an industrial park. I've had the Cayenne V8 as a weekend loaner and exercised it on- and off-road. I had the Cayenne Turbo for about 30 minutes and noticed the variable steering and the seemingly heavy nose and more pronounced lack of turn-in and more plow-on understeer.
But the Touareg V8, give or take better, cleaner throttle response and less road noise was otherwise all but indistinguishable from the Cayenne V8.
I liked the seemingly "taught" feel of the Cayenne but the Touareg proved itself to be equally precise but without the harshness of the Cayenne.
In words of one syllable, to suggest a "night and day" or "leaps and bounds" difference is utter nonsense.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by tierraman
as opposed to the 964's 3,200

Not that I want to undermine the credibility of such a convenient story, but does a 964 Cab Tip really weigh 3200lb?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:39 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"S will blow one away, kuz it won't........."

I'm not surprized. the S has only 10% =/- more HP. I'm sure that Treg with a performance chip could be even closer to the S (and for lots less than the differential in price) That would allocate power differently over the power curve. Marginal differences in performance would be recognized at the beginning of the torque curve and above 110mph.

IMO difference in performance claims of these models are simply a p*ssing contest, they are not materially different.

I had both back to back on a pre buy testing. The S handled the weight better & seemed more fun to drive. I tow & that concerned me. IMO the difference in performance was not the clincher for me.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:00 AM
tierraman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Carrera GT
Not that I want to undermine the credibility of such a convenient story, but does a 964 Cab Tip really weigh 3200lb?
Sorry for the possible mistake; Owners manaul stat. on the C2-tip is 3097 lbs. No stats on the cab........can you help?

Quick Reply: Just got out of the Toureg sitting in my driveway