Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix those vacuum leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 01:52 PM
JD305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2008 GTS ... would this also explain spongy brake action? at one point my durametric threw a code that pointed towards vacuum line issue?
Old 09-02-2023, 03:24 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

So I bought this one:
Amazon Amazon
Works well with built in pump, and doesn't break the bank.
I tested like the video above, and no leaks! Checked above of course and underneath with the undertray removed.
I have replaced a lot over the last 2 years, as they failed and proactively, plastic lines, sealing rings, orings, etc. So I would hope I didn't have any leaks.

Now one thing im not sue about, while i found smoke in all the hoses if i disconnected, telling me it got around everywhere, the system wasnt pressurized so there may be leaks only under boost. Ill have to try again and see if i can't get done pressure to build up.

I might also cause a leak, ie remove a hose a bit somewhere and make sure it obviously shows me that leak. It makes plenty of smoke so that's not the issue.
The following users liked this post:
JD305 (09-08-2023)
Old 08-20-2024, 01:37 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

The leaks to date that I have found are:
1. at the intake elbo off the air cleaner box to where it screws into the MAF housing, 2 screws and it comes apart and there is a large grey oring in there, I need to get 2 new ones. Air Mass Sensor Seal 955-110-646-00.
2. The joint where the hard intake pipe leading to the Y pipe, and where it connects to the top of the intercooler. I replaced this oring on both side, and it didnt eliminate the leak, so Im assuming perhaps the pipe itself or the intercooler flange is not round or flat anymore. These are a b&$@% to change cause the bottom bolt is really tough to get to, and no room unless you have stuff out of the way like I did when I did the water pump. I believe this is the seal - WHT001018

Nothing else, all the plastic line and hoses fine, although I have been keeping up with them.

Only issue I see is some leaks may only show under boost, and the smoker doesnt pressurize the system that much.

Quick Reply: Fix those vacuum leaks!