Engine rotation binding

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 03:52 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by slavie
Got any references on your Alusil statement? Not saying you're wrong, just that without a solid reference this statement is just another forum post, and there's plenty of those around on the subject.

I've long ignored the forum posts, but even articles written in magazines have conflicting information. Some consider Nikasil/Lokasil/Alusil coatings, others don't, etc. Some mention low quality fuel damage, others don't. If you have any credible sources of information you could share that would be great. Thanks!

Page 2.5

The following 2 users liked this post by RT930turbo:
J'sWorld (12-02-2019), slavie (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 03:57 PM
hopsis
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

That pdf does indeed state on page 2.5 that Cayenne Turbo engines are alusil coated, no such thing said about naturally aspirated engines on page 2.3

Still doesn't confirm it either way.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:04 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hopsis
That pdf does indeed state on page 2.5 that Cayenne Turbo engines are alusil coated, no such thing said about naturally aspirated engines on page 2.3

This applies to both versions, where there are differences between the two in each subsection (e.g. Pistons) it is called out specifically. All the M48 4.5L and 4.8L engines are Alusil.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:58 PM
dihmels
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool. Nice rock just flipped. Thanks for the document @RT930turbo

And yes, page 2.5 is referring to both NA and Turbo engines as it also covers the crankshaft, motor mounts, torque brace, etc. So it seems to be fact, IMO. The turbo engine torque chart is misleading as it seems to indicate a new "turbo" section.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:03 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by dihmels
Thanks @J'sWorld. From everything I have read during the short period that I have been researching this issues, I would have to agree with your opinion. The data is all over the place and a good deal of it is false. But that's the great things about forums. Things get rehashed and on occasion new rocks are flipped and new discoveries are made by those with new eyes on an old subject. For me, it's been a great learning experience so far.
Doubt any new discoveries are going to be made unless Porsche or Jake Raby decide to release a bunch of data.

Originally Posted by slavie
Got any references on your Alusil statement? Not saying you're wrong, just that without a solid reference this statement is just another forum post, and there's plenty of those around on the subject.

I've long ignored the forum posts, but even articles written in magazines have conflicting information. Some consider Nikasil/Lokasil/Alusil coatings, others don't, etc. Some mention low quality fuel damage, others don't. If you have any credible sources of information you could share that would be great. Thanks!
The PDF that Ernie posted is pretty credible it just needs to be read correctly. You can check out my post history, and I'm lazy so I'll allow you to prove me wrong.

^^^^
Old 12-03-2019, 11:26 AM
dihmels
Advanced

Another bit from this document, that I am sure has been mentioned before, is that although it is clearly indicated that the block and cylinder material remain the same (AlSi17Cu4Mg)
, and no change were made to the cast positions for the S and forged for the TT, all of the second generation 4.8 liter engines have iron coated pistons.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:48 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 107 Posts

That pdf does indeed state on page 2.5 that Cayenne Turbo engines are alusil coated, no such thing said about naturally aspirated engines on page 2.3...
Nothing in there says anything is Alusil coated. Because nothing is.

The whole entire block is an Alusil casting. The document does not actually use the term "Alusil" but calls the block "Aluminum" when being brief and "AlSi17Cu4Mg" when being specific. AlSi17Cu4Mg is Alusil. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alusil

It is a hypereutectic alloy, primarily of Aluminum (78%) and Silicon (17%). Hypereutectic means that the Silicon not fully soluble in the Aluminum, so basically there are extra Silicon crystals in the material. Through a finishing process, the Silicon in the cylinder walls is exposed to provide a harder surface. But there is no coating added, no liner, and again the whole block is Alusil.

And BTW, no this is nothing new. Not a great discovery. Anyone who knows about this knows it and is probably tired of saying it (see post #50 above) each time this comes up.

I cited a magazine article earlier in this thread with info from one of the main guys who used Alusil in block manufacturing, trying to keep the information here grounded. But on the interwebs, his statements carry as much space as everyone elses and are quickly washed away, like the Aluminum on a cylinder bore. When anyone new comes in to try to learn about this issue, 95+% of the information they quickly find is wrong, whether they know it or not. And it generates further information, upping the percentage. Really, just for fun, whatever you think you know now, go back through this thread and see how much of it is completely wrong or irrelevant.
The following users liked this post:
RT930turbo (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 03:16 PM
dihmels
Advanced

@oldskewel I agree with you 100%. There is even a mention of a different alloy used for the blocks 2008+. Also apparently not true. Personally I'm not looking for the "one answer" to the issue. I am more or less discovering many opinions and a few facts. I am curious about though about the use of iron coating on the pistons 2008+ for both S and TT.

Forums are and education system. When you start a researching subject you really are the student. As you learn you may become a teacher of other new students or may be happy with your new found knowledge and walk away. Those who choose to become permanent students and never graduate to teacher should have walked away a long time ago. I'm not speaking to anyone directly but if you find yourself annoyed by this, or any other thread, walk away. If you've graduated to teacher then be prepared to teach the same curriculum to any new students that may sign up. JMO
RT930turbo (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 03:35 PM
hopsis
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

This is good info, I personally don't mind finding out I've been wrong. All I've learned from this topic is mostly from internet forums and I guess it happened exactly as oldskewel stated above.
RT930turbo (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 04:26 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I enjoy sharing the knowledge I've gained. I dont post too often, but those of us that have been all the way into a cayenne engine are somewhat few and far between on the forums.

Not many folks overhaul M48s, but for anyone crazy enough to go down the path I am willing to help. When I went down this road it was very helpful to talk to others that have been there done that. I spoke with several on this thread, and we exchanged notes and the result was fantastic.

At the end of the day, these are just engines.

-Artie
The following 3 users liked this post by RT930turbo:
dihmels (12-07-2019), oldskewel (12-07-2019), torofluxgemini (12-09-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 06:07 PM
dihmels
Advanced

My next search will look more like "How to get the engine out of the bay through the front?"
Old 12-07-2019, 01:02 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,286 Likes on 901 Posts

Note-
Alusil isn't a coating. The block is made from monolithic Alusil entirely.
The following 3 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
J'sWorld (12-08-2019), oldskewel (12-07-2019), RT930turbo (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Note-
Alusil isn't a coating. The block is made from monolithic Alusil entirely.
^This.

Same as the 928 block.

Incidentally, same as the old Vega block. The one that always blew up.
However, that was an overheating issue. The heads were designed very poorly and would overheat & warp.

928s & Cayennes are very susceptible to damage if they are allowed to overheat. But something has to go wrong for that to happen.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:36 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
^This.

Same as the 928 block.

Incidentally, same as the old Vega block. The one that always blew up.
However, that was an overheating issue. The heads were designed very poorly and would overheat & warp.

928s & Cayennes are very susceptible to damage if they are allowed to overheat. But something has to go wrong for that to happen.
Bought my first used car in '86 when I was in 10th grade....a '77 Vega. By '76 Chevy got it right after tweaking the engine into what they called the "Dura-Built". I bought mine with 60K miles on the odometer, beat the hell out of that car for 5 years and it didn't burn any oil between changes when I sold it at 125K miles.

It took Chevy 5 years to iron out the bugs and there were recalls and revised warranties for the early years. And technically, the block wasn't so much the problem.
Seems it took Porsche at least 7 years to correct the scoring issues (at least with the Cayenne) and of course no owning up to it. And considering the Vega came out in 1971 and the 928 in 1978, you'd think a proper aluminum block with high silicone content would be a no brainer for any manufacturer 3 decades later.

I'd love to know what went on behind the scenes at Porsche in the mid 00s when engines started crapping out under warranty. You just know the blocks were being sent back for analysis. Were they at a loss as to what was causing the scoring? Did they know right away that it was a bad tolerance issue? If so, why did they do nothing about it until '09 or '10?
Old 12-07-2019, 07:48 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
Bought my first used car in '86 when I was in 10th grade....a '77 Vega. By '76 Chevy got it right after tweaking the engine into what they called the "Dura-Built". I bought mine with 60K miles on the odometer, beat the hell out of that car for 5 years and it didn't burn any oil between changes when I sold it at 125K miles.

It took Chevy 5 years to iron out the bugs and there were recalls and revised warranties for the early years. And technically, the block wasn't so much the problem.
GM needed the engine to last just long enough until body cancer finished it off.
Libast (12-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Engine rotation binding