Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This vibration is driving me crazy.....(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two day old Cayenne S is going back to the dealer for the same issue, I think mine is mostly tire related, but I agree your seat back vibration could indicate the driveshaft centerbearing. Will let you know.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:00 AM
SpeedRacerX
Track Day

has this been noticed on the turbo model as well?
Old 04-05-2004, 01:08 PM
gig
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this "Shimmying" that people speak of when the steering wheel shimmies? Mine does this as well, very annoying. I see there is a TSB for a steering wheel replacement, anyone know what this is for?
Old 04-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

In most cases this is what people are talking about...I have not heard of a steering wheel TSB.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:28 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a TSB for "Steering" wheel replacement, not Steering "wheels"

I think you will find the vibration is under the car.

Vibrations can eminate from bad balancing, bad alignment, and drive shaft.

From my experience the dealers seems to have trouble getting the load force balancing right on the Conti's, mine took 3 tries to get it right and I have not done a high speed run yet to verify its fully fixed yet.

I have had 2, yes 2 drive shafts replaced. In the early days of this problem PCA did not give correct fitting instructions and mine had been put on wrong, dealer fessed up to this.

The alignment is also new to the dealers (not so new now) and is critical. From the factory I think all Cayennes need to be aligned after 400 miles after the suspension has settled.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Been waiting about two weeks for a contact from the NE Regional Rep. I called PNA on Friday to ask for a status. I was told that the right people (my words not theirs) were well aware of my problem and would be in contact shortly.

One thing that I have noticed, is that most of the folks who have this issue all have steel suspensions. I find this interesting, this is not to say if you have air you are safe. But it does appear that air suspension Cayenne's are less likely to be bothered by a rotating mass that is out of balance?
Old 04-05-2004, 01:40 PM
gig
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have steel suspension as well, had the cardan shaft replaced. What kinda of irks me is that I got the car back, the vibration seemed to subside, but there was still "shimmying" and a bit of road noise that seemed too loud. They told me that they test drive it and it was fine, but IMO, it is not "fine", but I have been reluctant to tell them becuase I thought it might just be the way the car *is* and it's just me who's crazy

So possible problems could be:

Warped rotors ( I have 7K miles on my S)
Bad alignment
Cardan Shaft not installed correctly

Should I go to the dealer with the above solutions?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:53 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Mine is on air, so I think the suspension is out of the equation
Old 04-05-2004, 03:22 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Thought all was fine, until I switched my 20" wheels with a set of 18" that I just got through E-Bay. The reason for the 18 inchers is for winter tires next season. I thought I might as well use the existing tread on the factory tires in the mean time. When I pulled the 20" ones off, I noticed wear on the front left tire on the inside -- looks like alignment problem to me. I only have 5K miles on the TT. Dealer agreed to align, and I requested they replace the front tires; service guy is going to try to get approval for that one, but doesn't have them in stock. The alignment TSB says something to the effect that alignment should be done, as I recall, 1,200 miles so that everything settles down. As far as vibration is concerned, I don't have the problem, at least yet. Is this something that I can expect down the line? On another matter, my glove box won't open; turns out there is a voluntary recall on that one asigned to my VIN.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:36 PM
sims
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got a 04 TT (air suspension) and experienced the same vibration when I changed from the 18' to the 20'wheels. After some inital checks, Porsche changed the cardan. Since this change, everything is perfect.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Phil,

PNA replaced my two front tires as well due to the same alignment problems. Tire replacement should not be an issue.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

I've had the propshaft replaced for boom (noise & vibration), and they just swapped the rims and rubber from another vehicle. I had 18" Bridgestones with the turbo wheel, now I have 18" Contitrac. The vibration issue on my vehicle has been resolved.
My only remaining issue is axle moan, the dealer is supposed to contact Porsche NA for resolution.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:43 PM
WCS
Instructor

mudman2,

There is a TSB for "Steering" wheel replacement, not Steering "wheels"
sorry but what are the differences? what does this TSB fix?

I have had 2, yes 2 drive shafts replaced. In the early days of this problem PCA did not give correct fitting instructions and mine had been put on wrong, dealer fessed up to this.
how do we know if our new drive shafts are installed properly? is it something obvious between 40-60mph?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:56 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

WCS

The steering wheel replacement TSB relates to a number of early TT's which were fitted with the wrong wheel in the factory. Not a wheel problem, rather a wheel style problem

There is a mark on the shaft which lines up with a line on the diff.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2004, 10:45 PM
WCS
Instructor

mudman2,

There is a mark on the shaft which lines up with a line on the diff.
So the only way I can tell is by lifting the car up and look at it? If it wasn't installed properly, what can I 'feel' while driving? Repeatedly taking my car to the dealership is quite annoying frankly.

Quick Reply: This vibration is driving me crazy.....(Long)