Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced PCM 2.1 with Sony radio plus ashtray replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 08:56 PM
Dave Thompson
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that. I wish I had known I didn't have to solder 14 connections.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:50 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 222 Posts

I hope you replaced both the glass and the hatch shocks at the same time. You NEED both to be new for proper operation.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:31 PM
Dave Thompson
Track Day

do you get AM reception? I suspect I do not because the diversity antenna is no longer connected. I think there may be a double fakra connector to single antenna adapter.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:36 PM
thorissr
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Thompson
do you get AM reception? I suspect I do not because the diversity antenna is no longer connected. I think there may be a double fakra connector to single antenna adapter.
I'm not sure about AM reception because I don't listen to the radio often, and when I do it's always a FM station. I do get phenomenal FM reception. The antenna adapter part(s) you are referencing are:

1) Metra 40-EU10
2) Metra 40-EU20

I purchased both prior to my installation just to be on the safe side, but ended up only needing the 40-EU10.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Dave Thompson
Track Day

Yes I used the Metra 40-EU10 as was suggested in 2 other posts. The EU20 has a female end so wouldn't be applicable. Found a twin fakra on eBay. I use AM on occasion for news and sports.

Last edited by Dave Thompson; 01-06-2020 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added words
Old 01-17-2020, 06:42 PM
Dave Thompson
Track Day

So, after I replaced the HU, everything was working fine. There must have been a power draw and the battery died after leaving the CTT parked for 4 days in cold weather. I recharged the battery and the HU is working fine, but the speakers are cutting out, similar to the issue I was having before replacing the PCM 2.1. I thought it was the PCM's fault, but apparently, it's something else. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2020, 06:08 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

So, after I replaced the HU, everything was working fine. There must have been a power draw and the battery died after leaving the CTT parked for 4 days in cold weather. I recharged the battery and the HU is working fine, but the speakers are cutting out, similar to the issue I was having before replacing the PCM 2.1. I thought it was the PCM's fault, but apparently, it's something else. Any ideas?
1. If always the same speakers cutting out, then it could be the wiring at the speakers or at the amp.
2. If it varies which speakers are cutting out, then I suspect the factory amplifier.
3. If ALL the speakers cut out, then I would say the problem is definitely at the amplifier. However, in this scenario, it is very possible that the power or ground is just lose, which should be an easy check and fix.

When I do my upgrade, I am going to avoid number two or three, because in addition to replacing the factory head unit with an Android unit, I am replacing the amp with an Alpine amplifier with built in DSP. https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/...ew/PDP-E800DSP
I am going to try using the factory speakers to see how they sound first. Because of the sizes and configuration, I will try the easy way first. If I don't like the sound, then I will replace the speakers as well.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:48 PM
Dave Thompson
Track Day

I changed out the amplifier and this didn't help. I will now check the connections to all 14 speakers to look for a short. Apparently, these speakers will all cut out even if there is a short on just one component. I assume that includes the DVD Sat-Nav player under the passenger seat as well. I did have water ingress on the floorboards recently, which I remedied by pulling the seats and carpets out and drying everything as well as clearing the drain holes under the wheel cowlings. Perhaps there is residual moisture in the DVD player? Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the PCM 2.1 sound system?
Old 02-13-2020, 04:25 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

I changed out the amplifier and this didn't help. I will now check the connections to all 14 speakers to look for a short. Apparently, these speakers will all cut out even if there is a short on just one component. I assume that includes the DVD Sat-Nav player under the passenger seat as well. I did have water ingress on the floorboards recently, which I remedied by pulling the seats and carpets out and drying everything as well as clearing the drain holes under the wheel cowlings. Perhaps there is residual moisture in the DVD player? Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the PCM 2.1 sound system?
From the wiring diagrams I have seen, the speakers aren't wired in series, so a problem with one speaker should not take out all of them. Problem at the CD or DVD/Nav unit? Possible, but the wiring into or out of the amplifier and/or head unit sounds like a more likely scenario. JMHO.
The following users liked this post:
Dave Thompson (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 04:57 PM
sgtm7
Advanced

I missed where you asked for wiring diagrams. Here are a few for the antenna and antenna amps, and for the speaker and amplifier.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Antenna.pdf (78.5 KB, 134 views)
Speakers&Audio1.pdf (80.3 KB, 135 views)
Speakers&Audio2.pdf (80.3 KB, 112 views)
Old 02-13-2020, 05:50 PM
Dave Thompson
Track Day

thanks for the diagrams!
Old 02-13-2020, 06:23 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 126 Posts

If you have a power draw strong enough to kill the battery in 4 days, find that first. There are a number of well documented methods around on locating power draws. Maybe it's the same as what's causing your audio issues.
Even if one of your speakers is shorted it should not draw power when the car is off, as the amp should be off.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:41 PM
Dave Thompson
Track Day

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to source the draw.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:03 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The RCA cables from the Scosche LPPE15 are labeled rear L and R. That's where I plugged them in on the Sony, but now I have no sound from the phone because it only uses the front speakers, apparently. I guess I should switch the RCA's to the front?
On the sony, there's an option to have the phone use the front, rear or both. I told it to use rear.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:20 PM
amigo383
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Graduation on your successful endeavour. I have a 2006 Porsche CayenneS with only the radio system of Bose [ without any GPS, DVD, blue tooth....etc] I intend to upgrade it by installing an aftermarket Android head unit. But, many suppliers say I need to buy the Bose optic fiber decoder in order to get the audio. Others say I also need the Can Bus decoder as well. I am new and confused. Just wonder anyone can give an accurate and proper advice!
Moreover, I wonder the wirings and cables in the Cayenne are adequate to cope with the installation of an Android unit! Much appreciated for the assistance.
The following 2 users liked this post by amigo383:
06CayeeneS (12-17-2022), Dave Thompson (12-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Replaced PCM 2.1 with Sony radio plus ashtray replacement