Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced PCM 2.1 with Sony radio plus ashtray replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 11:44 PM
cgrupp81
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi there. Yes, using my method you will need 1.) adapters for the conversion to optical signal for the Bose system, and 2.) adapter for the main wiring harness and steering wheel controls. Take a look at steps 3 and 4 in my original article for approach I took and the parts list. I suggest to check out Crutchfield and call one of their advisors. They will set you up with what you need. By the way, 2.5 years and 25,000 miles later since I wrote this article and the Sony still works and souinds great.

I am sure you will be successful...please post some pics when you are done! Happy Holidays...

Chris
Old 12-17-2022, 01:57 AM
Dave Thompson
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been happy with the Sony XAV-AX3000 for almost 3 years. The install was a little tricky, with the Schoche fibre to wire adapter and there were other connected units (XFM tuner) that needed to be by-passed before everything worked. About $1000 all-in, about the same as Crutchfield.ca has the package now, but they are currently out of stock.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:58 PM
amigo383
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Satisfaction in replacing with Android 10 head unit.

Hi Chris.
Many thanks for your useful information. I like to share my experience also. After removing the radio from my 2006 Porsche cayenne, I used the Android 10 and Bose optic Fiber Decoder purchased from China. To my surprise, the source power in my car is quite different that there are only 2 main devices which can be inserted into Harness 1 with 3 sockets whilst the remaining device can only be inserted into the Fiber Decoder[ without which my system would have no sound]. After hooking up the wires, still there was no sound despite using the RCA cable. Finally, I used the red wire from the Harness 1 to connect with the red wire of the Fiber Decoder so as to get the power supply.. Voila, I got the beautiful sound which is much better than the old radio. 2 USB posts were put outside the vent duct through the back immediately above the Android 10 without tempering the ashtray! Ease of use and convenience! For the reverse camera, I used the pink wire from the Canbus decoder of Harness 1 to connect with red wire of reverse device[yellow] so as to obtain the power source from the Android 10 instead of tempering with reverse light of the tail lamps. The camera was mounted onto the lower bumper instead of the the licence plate, again to avoid interrupting with the opening of the trunk window.
Now, I am contented with the replacement for a much updated system. What a success. Please share my experience and know-how.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:00 PM
amigo383
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In addition, my steering control functions properly too.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:17 PM
MarktheShark
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris - Excellent Post. I am replicating your Sony Install for my PCM 2.1 replacement for 2006 Cayenne.

Amigo383 - I am considering locations for USB Port before going all-in with ashtray option. Can you post photo of your USB port? Also like Dave's option.
The following users liked this post:
cgrupp81 (02-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Replaced PCM 2.1 with Sony radio plus ashtray replacement