Sponsored by:

2008 cayenne non functioning transmission after tow

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 09:14 AM
KC Vetterli
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 cayenne non functioning transmission after tow

Had my 2008 cayenne towed yesterday after electrical problem wouldn’t start car. Both the steering wheel and transmission were locked. Tow driver did something under the car to disengage transmission so it would roll while loading onto truck. After delivery, I saw him slide under car again to supposedly reconnect it (using no tools). I was able to start the car finally, but now I can’t drive. It does shift now, but when I rev the engine in any gear, it revs just like I’m in park. Looking for any guidance before I slide under there to take a look. Had to have it towed more than 25 miles so unsure about getting driver back up to fix it.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:24 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Considering what they probably charged you (or your insurance carrier) for a 25 mile tow, I wouldn't hesitate to insist they come back and check they're work.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Was it towed or flatbedded?

I believe towing is a BAD thing since the transmission is spinning with no transmission fluid being pumped through it. No output side AT pump. That's why flat-bed is recommended.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:20 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger

I believe towing is a BAD thing since the transmission is spinning with no transmission fluid being pumped through it. No output side AT pump. That's why flat-bed is recommended.
Agree. I assume it rode on a flatbed; he said "loaded onto the truck". It's been a long tome since I've seen a "tow" truck with a hook, except for those monsters that tow big rigs.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:41 PM
KC Vetterli
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger

It was flat bed. He released the park lock from under the car to pull it up onto the flat bed and then to unload and push it a few feet into place
Old 06-29-2019, 07:59 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,482 Likes on 716 Posts

It sounds like he removed the shifter cable from the transmission selector shaft to manually put it neutral by hand and then didn't hook it back up.

BTW, here's the easier way:

Pelican how-to

Old 06-29-2019, 09:02 PM
KC Vetterli
Cruisin'

I’ve been under the car and everything appears connected. What is weird is that the vehicle is permanently stuck in park. No matter what the gear selector says, I cannot roll the vehicle in any gear, neutral included. I opened the console and tried the manual level to shift into neural with same results.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:35 PM
KC Vetterli
Cruisin'

Default Photos

Tow driver sent this photo of what he disconnected and my photo of what I see under the vehicle

Old 06-30-2019, 01:11 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 130 Posts

Sounds like you need to check whether the shifter is still connected to the transmission. When you move the shift lever, does the other side on the transmission move as well? Also, does the shifter lever feel normal, or is it lighter to move than it used to be?
Old 06-30-2019, 08:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,621 Likes on 4,209 Posts

There is a recall coming on a coupling that breaks, allowing the transmission shifter to be moved without the transmission itself actually changing inside. The recall is the result of people shifting the lever into park, but the car not being in park, and rolling away. Sounds like it's possible this piece is broken on your car, but yours broke with it in Park instead of Drive
Old 06-30-2019, 08:54 PM
KC Vetterli
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by slavie
Sounds like you need to check whether the shifter is still connected to the transmission. When you move the shift lever, does the other side on the transmission move as well? Also, does the shifter lever feel normal, or is it lighter to move than it used to be?
Thanks. It “seems” to shift too easily from P->D. Going from D->P, there is a catch between R and P which takes more muscle to pass through than ever before
Old 06-30-2019, 08:55 PM
KC Vetterli
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
There is a recall coming on a coupling that breaks, allowing the transmission shifter to be moved without the transmission itself actually changing inside. The recall is the result of people shifting the lever into park, but the car not being in park, and rolling away. Sounds like it's possible this piece is broken on your car, but yours broke with it in Park instead of Drive
Thank you very much. I will call dealer tomorrow to inquire about recall.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:04 PM
KC Vetterli
Cruisin'

I believe I have located the problem and letting any interested parties know for future reference. I believe an E Clip is required to hold the shifter cable in place to bracket connected on transmission. Circled in red in photo is where missing E clip belongs. I can’t close out the thread until final verification when I get a clip in hand to finalize.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

I can certainly see a shadow of an E-clip..
Old 07-01-2019, 05:04 PM
kadn33
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Seems to be item 12 in the drawing:

I've found in google this is a generic VW part and differs a bit from an e-clip:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...mg.9wXNrrM2zik

Regards,

Quick Reply: 2008 cayenne non functioning transmission after tow