Hi All, New owner with questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 10:55 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Hi All, New owner with questions!!

Hi,

After about a week of reading your posts, I became infected with the "cayenne" bug. I bought the cure, 2004 Cayenne S, titanium/smooth stone leather, PCM, 20' techno's, stone guard, 100k Platimum extended warranty, everything short of the air suspension. I know, ideally I should have, but I found a seller who needed cash fast, and was willing to take a serious hit. I was actually thinking Turbo, but couldnt pass up the deal. Paid $55k to US Bank and got the title... Okay enough gloating. Anyway, So now heres what I want to do to it.. It needs to have the lower panels painted to match the body. I have the michlelin 275/40-p20 run flats, no good. They need to be bigger to fill the wheel well, and coming out of a Escalade (please do hold it against me, I hated myself thru all 8k miles of ownership) its a bit jarring. Also a little disapointed with the stereo, needs more bass. Okay I can already sense the hostility from the old folks ( I am 29)... keep your shirts on!!! LOL. I just think a couple of 10' subs in the back would really round it out. Whats the best way to tackle this? Anyway, enough yapping from me. Looking forward to your comments.

All the best,

Sami
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2004, 11:19 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Comments

1 - Nice color (biased)
2 - You will not notice the painted lowers on a Titanium.
3 - You go to 22's with no Air Suspension you will learn the true meaning of "jarring"
4 - If your bass is down I suspect you have the spare tire ? which reduces sub output. Difficult if not impossible to add the subs you want without a large refit due to the digital network and Bose amps.

By the way there is no forgiving your previous ride...lol :-)

Good luck with it, have fun.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Cayenne.

One note on tires. You can't fill the wells anymore with larger tires. That will change the circumference of the tire and mess up the speedometer and shift points. If you go for larger wheels, you still need to maintain the overall diameter of the tire.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:46 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

Michael,

Thanks for your prompt reply.. Question, I am online looking for bigger tires for my 20'x9' wheels (I think thats the right size), whats the max I can stuff into the wheel well? Regarding the bass, I was playing with the tought of accessing the audio signal sent to the Sub in the spare, I know there are several products that can convert the signal sent to the speaker and turn it into a output signal that can be amplified. Any tech info on the inner workings of the spare sub?? I am an audiophille that is never satisfied with factory sound.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:54 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

David,

I remember when I had my 996 and put the strosek kit on it, they fiddled with the comp to fix the bugs you mentioned. Regardless, I am usually in manual mode, and I rarely look at the speedo..LOL. Too busy looking for Chp's.. Phsyically what would be the max I could shoehorn in there without scrapping the fenders??
Old 02-16-2004, 02:45 AM
KY_soldier
Racer

Eyeglaskid, if you want to sell the existing Michelins off your 20s, let me know. I will need a set once mine wear out!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:43 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Have the tone adjustments proved to be insufficient in creating the desired sound?

Remember, the radio, CD and changer all have different tone settings.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:16 AM
SorTurbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

nice Cayenne, nice pic. Don't know about the sub though. How much do you miss you Escalade? How does the Cayenne compare? (never been in an Escalade)
Old 02-17-2004, 02:03 AM
Jeffrey Behr
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Subwoofers

Originally posted by eyeglaskid
I just think a couple of 10' subs in the back would really round it out. Sami
Oh yea...10-foot subwoofers ought to do it...WHAT, I don't know, but they ought to do it.

Only a diddeebopper would say that system doesn't have enough bass. It's so thick sounding with too much upper bass/lower midrange, I slightly reduced the outputs of the front-door bass drivers to reduce that thickness and now can run the bass control flat instead of at -3. Now I can hear some bottom-octave information. Might do a little more reducing for a little more bottom octave, but it's SUCH a pain to take those doorpanels off!

But I suppose if you want to deafen yourself AND your neighbors, more subwoofers would help.

Old 02-17-2004, 12:44 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

The Escalade?? Oh yeah, the dealership called me yesterday to tell me its ready and to come it pick up. LOL. I cant wait to drive up in the new porsche, and will pour salt on thier wound by having AAA tow the car out of there to my house. it took them 3 weeks to change an exhust system. The nail in the coffin was the Chevy Malibu rental they offered up. F%^% them and Crapulac for seeling me a piece of dog **** wrapped in a cheap rental tux. In fact to answer your about how does my Cayenne compare to my Crapulac, its like comparing a Hugo tux to Prom Rental tux complete with DNA stains. LOL... Okay enough of the venting, sore spot wouldnt you say? On a lighter note, my 10 foot speakers are on order. Good thing I have the hitch. Now if I could just convince gemballa to make a nice trailer.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sami,
All the connections required to install additional subwoofers are avaiable at the subwoofer connector under the floor in the trunk/spare compartment.
i.e. 12V, GND and audio (differential analog from the main amplifier in the passenger side rear compartment). You really don't need to know about the inner workings of the factory installed subwoofer for this task.
Any decent audio installer can take it from there (i.e. adding additional amps and whatever subs you feel you need, along with fabricating an enclosure). The amplifier and headunit won't know the difference (with the possible exception of AudioPilot, which can be disabled anytime).
Best of luck with your mods.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:29 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

Lewis,

You are totally spot-on. Would you by chance have access to info on the wiring diagram for the sub connector? or even better a parts blow-up?

Quick Reply: Hi All, New owner with questions!!