Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Clock in Cayenne 957 installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 05:23 AM
Krisss
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Clock in Cayenne 957 installed!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but for some time I have been following various threads.

I would like to show off the development of the watch houing and watch itself (taken from 911) in my Cayenne 957 from 2010. Although it never has been an option in 955/957 in my opinion it looks like OEM device. It is the first such a project worldwide, I assume. Please see the pictures. What do you think, guys?

The only problem I found is connection to my PCM 3 navigation. I searched this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...k-options.html which discusses the pins out table for identical stop watch from Cayman:

but wonder, if this will work in my Cayenne and where to connect each pin (five pins) to PCM.

I will appreciate your help.

Last edited by deilenberger; 06-07-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:14 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Sorry to tell you this- it's been done before quite a while ago by a long time member. Glad you enjoyed the install, however!

Cheers,
Tom
Old 06-07-2019, 03:42 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Hopefully the needle doesn't fall off!
Old 06-07-2019, 04:28 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Lol, gotta be careful when you say "worldwide"!

You can supply power and ground and probably get it to light up but it will never keep time. The PCM doesn't have the fundamental CAN coding to support it. A PIWIS wont be able to help because there isn't even an option in the software menu for that. Cool but it would take a CAN engineer to make it work. Can it be done? Yes!
Old 06-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

If I were installing that, I would make a new shroud over the grill instead of just placing the leather bound clock pod over the speaker grille, so that way it looks more factory and less "we glued a clock pod to the top of a grill"
Old 06-07-2019, 06:25 PM
Krisss
3rd Gear

I really thought I had been the first person who has done the mod in question.

J'sWorld - thank you for tips on installation. However, I assume PCM 3.1 (with touch screen) which my car is equiped with and which has been installed also in 958 can support the dash clock through CAN and this can be achieved by simply connecting the wires between the clock and the unit.

I found these sample threads related to that issue:
- https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...echnician.html
- https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...k-harness.html

In the first thread mentioned above deilenberger claimed that "the '06 Cayenne did have a compass option - which is what the early 958 Cayennes came with - but it was directly replaceable with a clock". He also stressed that "The high-CAN and low-CAN color codes are identical for the '06 955 and an '11 958. There was no change". Can anyone confirm that?

Maybe it is possible to connect the clock without CAN modification?

Last edited by Krisss; 06-07-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Your PCM is not the same as the one in the 2011+ 958 vehicles. I believe yours is a 3.0, not the 3.1.

What Jayme means about CAN programming is - the 3.1 PCM has a clock signal that is outputted on the PCM data bus. It's always there and there is no need to turn anything on for the clock to work - that signal is used by the two other digital time displays on the 958 dash - and the instrument cluster can talk to the PCM through that CAN buss line to set the time and change time zones and good stuff like that.

In other words - it's a system. I believe the wiring is the same - same color codes (but to be certain I'd have to pull up both sets of diagrams and I am on the road in my Cayenne - and they're at home.. so I can't.) but that doesn't mean the same signals are being transmitted on that buss.

My suggestion would be to try it. It might be that it will work. I'm almost certain it won't work with a 2.0 or 2.1 system - and it's vaguely possible it might work on your system, nothing to lose if it doesn't.

If it doesn't - someone will probably be interested in purchasing your stopwatch/chrono/clock - and you might find a simple analog car clock on eBay or Amazon that is the same size and close enough in look to the rest of the instruments.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

BTW - ALL CAPS in titles isn't really that welcome here. Search engines may be programmed to ignore that sort of thing. That and the fact that it wasn't actually the FIRST ONE DONE WORLDWIDE - makes it a bit embarrassing. I'll eliminate that part of your title..

Thanks for posting - and let us know how it works when you get it connected. BTW - did you find a source for the cable to it? Someone else used the cable from a Cayman or Boxster where it was available as an accessory from Porsche - there used to be a source in China (where mine came from) but that source is no longer making them.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Krisss
3rd Gear

Don, thank you very much for your answer.

Can you send me the diagrams you mentioned?

By the way, in the light of your previous posts related to dash cloks, I assume that there is no obstacles for installing in my car genuine Porsche compass instead of dash watch. In my car I can see the direction indications on the main cluster, so CAN provides this information. Am I right?

Last edited by Krisss; 06-13-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Kriss - I'd suggest purchasing a subscription to AllDataDIY.com for your vehicle. That will give you access to the diagrams. The diagrams aren't easily mailed since they are multipage things that have to be printed out and then taped together to be understood unless like me - you have some electrical engineering background.

I can't say for sure that the CAN bus carries the signal the clock or compass require. CAN bus is a "standard" for communications, but not necessarily standard in what signal does what or talks to what. If it was me - I'd try hooking it up and see if it works. That's the quick way to tell if you want to go forward with the project. What are the wires coming from your clock, and what connector did you get to use with it? If you can tell me that - and what pins the wires connect to on the connector I can perhaps suggest which ones to try to use in accessing the CAN bus signal.

Quick Reply: Dash Clock in Cayenne 957 installed!