Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has installed this Bluetooth Adapter with CDR23?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 11:51 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Who has installed this Bluetooth Adapter with CDR23?

The company’s compatibility chart lists 955 and 957s as compatible but has anyone installed one (with pics and tips) and how do you like it?

https://isimple.com/catalog/professi...-kits/isfm2351
Old 04-27-2019, 01:04 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 130 Posts

It's a Bluetooth to FM transmitter - you connect your phone via bluetooth to the device, then tune your radio to the specific FM frequency. Basically, this thing creates an FM station in your car that plays audio from your phone. They are universal, will fit any car as long as you get the correct adapter for the antenna cable. Run the microphone wherever you want.

I'm sure it'll work. You're limited to FM quality audio if that matters to you. There are several different models, but functionality is fundamentally the same. Some are wireless but suffer a bit in quality; this particular is "wired in", as in you plug the antenna that goes to your radio into the device and then the output from the device into your stock radio - again, correct adapter for your car is required.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:10 AM
RSbob
Racer

i am interested in streaming music from my iPhone so tuning to a station is no biggie. Evidently it shows the artist and song on the radio display and allows one to advance throught playlists. Also reported when tuned to the station it allows voice recognition with SIRI for calling and auto-pairs.

Last edited by RSbob; 04-27-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:46 AM
RSbob
Racer

Just ordered the unit and antenna adapter plus shipping for $100 here: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iSFM2351.html

Thanks Slavie

also found a thread here on RL https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...pcm-2-1-a.html

Rave reviews and looks like a simple install

will post impressions

Last edited by RSbob; 04-27-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:46 PM
RSbob
Racer

Did the install today and it was relatively easy.

1 Removed the outer surround using a plastic trim removal tool
2. Removed to torques screws and pulled out CDR 23, wires intact, to a waiting blue towel on the console
3. Mounted microphone clip to headliner above rear view mirror then routed wires under headliner to A pillar, down the outside of the airbag cover, through the fuse box, under the steering wheel.
4. Using trim tool, popped off small trim piece on right side of steering wheel and removed the two torx screws which dropped the lower trim piece enough to grab the mike wire.
5. Fished the On/Off button (looks like phone receiver) from radio cavity to same temporary location as the mike wire.
6. Used Isopropyl alcohol to clean are on dash where On/Off button self adheres and mount d button
7. Pulled mike wire into radio cavity and attached to unit
8. Attached black wire from HF unit to brown radio ground
9. Attached red wire from HF unit to red with yellow trace ( switched on power)
10. Remove antenna from back of radio pressing down on small clip. Insert Fraka antenna adapter and plug back into antenna port
11. Plug units wiring harness into unit along with mike cord
12. Connect to Bluetooth and watch the flashing LEDs for successful pairing with phone BT
13. Stuff the unit, radio, and scads of wire back into the cavity. This took five tries, like trying to stuff 10lbs of poo in a five lb bag. Then replaced all trim pieces.
14. Since the stock radio frequency for the unit was already being used by an FM station, I used the units downloaded app to easily change frequencies
15. Selected Rammstein, because it is a German car deserving German heavy metal.
Then I received a call and answered it using the unit and it worked great. Then used SIRI to place a call.
I give the unit 7 stars out of 10 because you need to punch your designated frequency button on the radio to answer a call f not already on that frequency and the music quality is good but it is not true digital quality. I do like being able to advance tracks using one touch as well as answering and dropping calls. SIRI can be summoned to place calls or other info and the caller name as well as music track appears on the radio display. The unit seems thoughtfully conceived and provides the basic functionality of a stock unit but with an extra button to press.

its not high end, but then either am I.

Last edited by RSbob; 05-01-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:37 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I tried one of these a couple of years ago. Bought it at Best Buy. It worked fine except I kept getting interference from local FM stations so I returned it. How do those of you that are happy with this device avoid the FM station interference? Mine was not the hard wired version. Do you think that was the problem?
Old 05-02-2019, 11:20 PM
RSbob
Racer

Originally Posted by CTTS520
I tried one of these a couple of years ago. Bought it at Best Buy. It worked fine except I kept getting interference from local FM stations so I returned it. How do those of you that are happy with this device avoid the FM station interference? Mine was not the hard wired version. Do you think that was the problem?
Thought I knew this but after rereading the other thread not so much.

On other forums a post can be completely deleted without a trace. Don’t see that facility here.

Last edited by RSbob; 05-03-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Chris Cunningham
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed this yesterday and everything seems to be working well. Btw, I tried both antennae inputs and didn't notice a difference in sound quality, for what it's worth.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:07 PM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbob
Did the install today and it was relatively easy.

1 Removed the outer surround using a plastic trim removal tool
2. Removed to torques screws and pulled out CDR 23, wires intact, to a waiting blue towel on the console
3. Mounted microphone clip to headliner above rear view mirror then routed wires under headliner to A pillar, down the outside of the airbag cover, through the fuse box, under the steering wheel.
4. Using trim tool, popped off small trim piece on right side of steering wheel and removed the two torx screws which dropped the lower trim piece enough to grab the mike wire.
5. Fished the On/Off button (looks like phone receiver) from radio cavity to same temporary location as the mike wire.
6. Used Isopropyl alcohol to clean are on dash where On/Off button self adheres and mount d button
7. Pulled mike wire into radio cavity and attached to unit
8. Attached black wire from HF unit to brown radio ground
9. Attached red wire from HF unit to red with yellow trace ( switched on power)
10. Remove antenna from back of radio pressing down on small clip. Insert Fraka antenna adapter and plug back into antenna port
11. Plug units wiring harness into unit along with mike cord
12. Connect to Bluetooth and watch the flashing LEDs for successful pairing with phone BT
13. Stuff the unit, radio, and scads of wire back into the cavity. This took five tries, like trying to stuff 10lbs of poo in a five lb bag. Then replaced all trim pieces.
14. Since the stock radio frequency for the unit was already being used by an FM station, I used the units downloaded app to easily change frequencies
15. Selected Rammstein, because it is a German car deserving German heavy metal.
Then I received a call and answered it using the unit and it worked great. Then used SIRI to place a call.
I give the unit 7 stars out of 10 because you need to punch your designated frequency button on the radio to answer a call f not already on that frequency and the music quality is good but it is not true digital quality. I do like being able to advance tracks using one touch as well as answering and dropping calls. SIRI can be summoned to place calls or other info and the caller name as well as music track appears on the radio display. The unit seems thoughtfully conceived and provides the basic functionality of a stock unit but with an extra button to press.

its not high end, but then either am I.
Hope all are staying healthy in these crazy times.

Question for you, if I may. Did you grab 12V switched power from the ignition switch, or were you able to find 12V power controlled by the CDR23? I have the former, trying to figure out how to do the latter.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Who has installed this Bluetooth Adapter with CDR23?