Sponsored by:

Going offroad - settings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:39 AM
Colly
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going offroad - settings?

Going to be going offroad this week - direct tracks and maybe some sand. I've never put my 2008 in any of the different 4x4 modes. Can anyone tell me what I should do, or link me please?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:38 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Colly
Going to be going offroad this week - direct tracks and maybe some sand. I've never put my 2008 in any of the different 4x4 modes. Can anyone tell me what I should do, or link me please?
Your manual and search is your friend.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:02 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For normal offroad, on hard trails you dont need to do much. Just drive.
For technical trails, what require low speed and control, but have a firm base. Use low range, and ensure suspension is raised (if you have air). Low range triggers a different map for stability systems and wlill change PDCC if fitted. Consider lowering tyre pressures (I sometimes run at 20psi, on very slow trails)
For sand, switch off the stability control, leave in high and consider dropping tyre pressures. If its sand tracks then 20 psi is fine, if its soft sand, you may need to go lower (I sometimes as run as low as 9psi)

If you have locking diffs fitted you can use these if you into trouble. Otherwise you wont need them.

As stated the manual is actually really good. The bits it misses if if that if the traction management cant work out whats going on, then it drops power to all wheels. Here you need to turn it off. That goes for very soft surfaces (e.g. lots of sand).

To be honest, for most offroad driving on trails and tracks, you can just lift the suspension and drive. Its pretty damn good as standard. Sand is the tricky one, the stability doesnt work well. But tyre pressures and momentum are king.. If you are running big wheels, expect to struggle. My GTS on 21s was useless, yet on 18s its a weapon.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:46 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't forget to familiarize yourself with the tow hook locations and keep some tools for a self extraction if you get stuck.

The absolute last thing you want to happen is getting stuck and having to deal with the indignity of some guy with his Jeep loaded up with light bars for his light bars winching you out.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:19 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Tires can do a lot for you!
Street tires should be alright on most Forest Service roads. Letting air out of them will be a lot of help too, do not forget to air back up when returning to pavement.
Like autocross, DE, etc do not have unsecured loose items that will become projectiles in an incident!!!!
Suggest installing the front tow-hook before heading out. They are cheap enough to get another. If you need winching from the rear those can will have a proper Factor55 insert for your receiver.
If you want to do more off-roading suggest getting the smallest wheels available and proper tires. For six years - 88,000 miles we have used Grabber AT2s for three seasons and studded Hakka 8s for winter.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:45 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually tow hook comments worth noting. I've have 4, and usually leave them fitted at the front alll the time. Although the rears trigger the parking sensors
Old 04-25-2019, 11:46 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The OP hasn't responded. Unless you want to hear yourselves talk, I would suggest you reserve your abundant knowledge until he does.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:19 PM
sprfrkr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
The OP hasn't responded. Unless you want to hear yourselves talk, I would suggest you reserve your abundant knowledge until he does.
There are people other than the OP that find this discussion useful.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:04 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

yes I do find this discussion interesting. I own a 2006 Cayenne and have talked to a 4 wheeler friend of mine to hook me up with a few easy tracks for this summer. I have never off roaded, and changing the settings has always confused me.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:24 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomF
Tom, are y'all coming to the NW Overland Rally in Plain from Thu, Jun 20 – Sun, Jun 23?
This years schedule of events will be posted on their site soon - http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/

We were again asked to lead two trail runs. First on Friday morning than another on Saturday.
Will be going on the same route that was used for the Pano article.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:40 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172
yes I do find this discussion interesting. I own a 2006 Cayenne and have talked to a 4 wheeler friend of mine to hook me up with a few easy tracks for this summer. I have never off roaded, and changing the settings has always confused me.
A beautiful off-road route we took returning from Rennsport is the Lost Coast Road from Fort Bragg up tp Ferndale.
This is a very easy route that travels literally right along the coast line with plenty of campsites and dispersed camping.
A lot of beach access at which y'all will be the only ones there.
I-5, routes 101 and 1 are all east of the Lost Coast road.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:47 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sprfrkr
There are people other than the OP that find this discussion useful.
Excellent! By all means carry on then.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:49 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS-America
Tom, are y'all coming to the NW Overland Rally in Plain from Thu, Jun 20 – Sun, Jun 23?
This years schedule of events will be posted on their site soon - http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/

We were again asked to lead two trail runs. First on Friday morning than another on Saturday.
Will be going on the same route that was used for the Pano article.
Thanks for the reminder. I would love to go, but work is taking up more time than I care to admit. If it lets up, we would love to head over there. I was at a work retreat just outside of Plain last May. The valley is incredibly beautiful at this time of year.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:39 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172
As noted above, read the manual. It covers it well.

Short version:

For the left side switch, one push up puts the transfer case in low range. Approx a 2:1 gear reduction. Doubles your torque at the wheels, but you only go half as fast. Also handy for when you want to go slow, like backing a trailer.

2nd push up locks the transfer case diff. The front & rear axles are basically locked together. DO NOT do this on hard surfaces with good grip. Only where you can slip wheels when turning.
3rd push locks rear diff in the very few cars equipped with this.

Right side switch is air suspension height.

Back is lower, forward is higher. Each level takes a little bit to reach. Highest (special terrain) is only usable below 20 mph or so. Any faster and it automatically lowers back to 'terrain' level.
The ground clearance in special terrain is pretty impressive.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:15 AM
Colly
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, sorry for some reason I did not get notified after the first post so only seeing all the other replies now. Appreciate the advice.

For anyone else who wants it, I have uploaded the pdf of the manual here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qnuo0pg15...x4%29.pdf?dl=0 - page 180 is where the 4x4 settings were.

The reason it was not working for me before is I did not know I had to be in neutral to change to the off road settings. I went on a few offraod trails this week and she performed well. Got way more rocky than I was expecting but had no problem. The low ratio mode is interesting. I didn't lock the diff as it wasn't need but I will next time. As mentioned tyres are key and I have 20" rims and low profiles tyres. I'd love to be able to temporarily swap for big tyres to go offroad sometimes.

I went up another trail but it got pretty rocky and was boneshaking even on the smoother bits - I was worried I'm was going to break something - it's got to put a lot of stress on your car so it can't be too good for it. Maybe next time!

Does anyone here do a lot of off road in their Cayenne?

Quick Reply: Going offroad - settings?