Sponsored by:

A little advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 10:17 AM
1Carnut1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little advice needed

I have been offered an 03 Cayenne TT that was a demo unit very low miles and it has never been titled so I would be the first owner. Deal is pretty good 20k below sticker. My only concern is that I heard that the 03 cars had some problems (not sure if this is 100% true), was hoping that 03 owners might give me their input. The only other issue to me is color really want silver/black, this TT is Blue/grey. Be interested in any comments regarding this deal you might have. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

20k below sticker sounds interesting. This means that you can get a "TT" almost for the price of a heavily optioned "S"! On the other hand, I would wanna know why they offer it that much below sticker (unless that's normal in the US car market)?

Regarding MY03-issues, there are no real show stoppers. All the issues I've had were resolved to my satisfaction (however, I can only speak for a European "S"-model). If you go for it, just make sure that they apply all the updates available (PCMII Version 3.0, Navigation 2003, etc.).

And the color combo, I think it's the nicest you can get. It is not too common but also not too special that it would pose a problem when reselling.

I would go for it!

PS: You'll find more pic's of this color combo in my
gallery.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:03 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I thought all TT were 2004 models.......
Old 02-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

In mid march we got 4 2003 models. One of those was a Turbo. On April 5 or so, we got a handful of 2004 models.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20k off sounds about right. There are probably 5-6 TT's on ebay right now with 5-12k miles on them with "buy it now" prices of $80k. Being the original owner is worth something. Buying a dealer demo scares me though. The owners manual clearly states that the engine needs to be broken in for 2000 miles, no rpms above 4200 or so. What do you think the chances are that a TT demo never saw more than 4200 rpm for the first 2000 miles? NO CHANCE. Proceed at your own comfort level.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:13 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

That would only be an issue if you keep the car beyond the warranty period....something that many owners would never consider doing.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Hence the disclaimer in the last line I'm not even sure that it could/would do any damage.

I do know that my father was in the car business for two decades and I drove many of his demo's in my late teens. I worked at some of the dealerships as well. My personal opinion is that demos are just like rental cars, they lead a very hard life early on.

Just because it is under warranty does not take away the inconveience of extra dealer visits if there are problems. My dealer is 150 miles away. I was just throwing it out there as another bit of info.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:10 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

No criticism of your post intended.

I've had my share of issues with my Turbo....but I also have an awesome dealer on my side.

IRA Porsche drives almost 2 hours to pick up my Turbo, leaves me a nearly new Boxster and then returns my Turbo freshly detailed.

Yes - I would prefer not to have it in for service a few times....but with service like IRA provides it is certainly as painless as possible.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:19 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43923

I think I would take a dealer demo over a used truck off the internet. You might be able to have them throw in an extended warranty to satisfy you about abuse concerns you may have.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

No offense taken.

You bring up another good point though. Buying new(or the demo) from a dealer buys you a higher level of service. I mentioned the ebay cars, you most likely would not get the same level of "extras" as you would if you purchase from the dealer you intend to have service the car. That was a big factor in choosing the dealer I did. They are top rated for service and assured me Porsche loaners at service time. Things like that make a HUGE difference in the experience.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:34 PM
1Carnut1
Track Day

This car has under 3000 miles was a Porsche Exec demo, there s also a loaded white/tan S with air suspension, 20" Nav, wood pakage, that one had a 78k sticker, is an 04 for around 60k, only thing no heated seats. I've done alot of business with the dealer, never keeps cars very long and demo does not bother me, the 03 problems if there were any were more my concern
Old 02-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

I don't have any first hand experience to offer but, I watched this forum for a while before deciding on a Cayenne. It seems that the only problems were software related and easily fixed. Some light reading here will likely ease your concerns. I did not see any problems with the hardware. Still, it is way to early to tell if there is a major underlying problem, we are all still gambling on a new car. Sounds like a great deal, 20k off and only 3000 miles.

Quick Reply: A little advice needed