Sponsored by:

Increase 957 GTS Air Suspension ride height settings

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 04:23 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Typ9xx
h_____, have you considered putting in a rocker switch to turn the airbags on/off instead of disconnecting at the plug? Any technical reason why this would be a no-no?
Yep considered that - here is why (and I've realised I missed a bit out of my instructions!!!!!!)

The Airbag system and controller is quite complex, from what I could uncover. Firstly, the system is designed so that in a crash, if the car loses power the airbags still trigger, I believe there is a capacitor somewhere in the controller or that feeds the controller (I didnt fully work that out). So. my approach is Disconnect battery. WAIT for 2-3mins, then disconnect Airbag controller. This works for me, repeatedly. I do however, have a battery isoloation switch fitted to my car which makes cutting the battery very easy. Basically I get to deflation point. Cut battery, spend 2-3mins deflating tyres, then disconnect airbag controller, the power car back on.

I contacted a firm in the US that provided modules to allow passenger / driver airbags to be switched off with a switch and asked them to provide one to turn all airbags off. They came back and said they couldnt do it. I never got full answers to all the power signal conditions to the controller to give me a enough confidence to stick a rocker switch in between the controller and the wiring loom. I also never fully worked out what all the wires do going into the controller. There are 6 sensors and X (cant remember) Airbags. Some go off if the car thinks its had a front / rear collision, some go off it thinks its rolled over. My understanding is that the 2 side sensors are used for roll over condition, not the 2 front or 2 rear. But again, I never got a porsche document telling me that. I did consider just cutting power to those sensors, but again, the results didnt appear predictable. If anyone ever works this out I'd been keen to know. I still want airbags on when the family use the car (its used for school run), and when I'm on the road, but would like an easier way to switch them off. I have however, got used to the disconnection method. I've been trips where cars behind (GMC and toyota) have tripped airbags whilst sidecresting, so pretty glad I cut mine out.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:24 PM
Dave Waldo
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

SORRY wrong thread

see here - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/1178182-changing-ride-heights-with-the-durametric-cable.html#post16360886

Quick Reply: Increase 957 GTS Air Suspension ride height settings