Sponsored by:

preparing for a road trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 01:08 AM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default preparing for a road trip

2005 Cayenne S with 147k miles. Purchased the car early in 2019 at 141k and have had flawless operation since (from a drive train perspective). We live in San Jose, CA, my son is graduating from college next June in Chicago and my wife has never been on a long road trip but is surprisingly open to the idea now. This seems like a perfect opportunity and I'd like your inputs how to prep the Cayenne for this 5,000 mi jaunt.

Car seems to have been well maintained by the previous owner based on the inputs I got when I bought it. (No extensive records just a really detailed carfax and a good PPI.) Coolant pipes have been upgraded and cardan shaft has been done at least once. (Looks good now but I've got a Jimi fix kit prepped and stored in the back in case midgets with hammers arrive). Transmission service was done 1yr ago, along with brakes and tires. I had the dealer do the fuel pump recall fix last fall and otherwise have just done oil changes. The power steering pump seems loud when the car is cold and I've read that there's two different kinds of fluid (CF-11S vs. something else with a 2 in it?) and may change to to the CF-11S. Car has it's share electrical interior gremlins (see my other post tonight) that are irritating but not enough to erode love of the car. It's so much fun to drive I'm really looking forward to driving it across country.

I understand there are many things that can go wrong. (I drive a 2004 996 C4S daily and love it despite the potential of IMSB failure or bore scoring.) What I'm looking for with this post is suggestions on preventative maintenance on the Cayenne that will maximize the success of this trip. Beyond this, I'll be bringing a standard tool kit with wrenches, sockets, etc. so any inputs on other tools to bring, as well as spare parts, are welcome.

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

You've done all the right stuff. Only thing I can think of is replacing coolant tank as they are known to fail. Not expensive or hard to replace, but can leave you stranded. Again, cheap and easy would be the serpentine belt. Other than that, I'd jump in and drive it. How's your alternator, putting out good voltage?
Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you plan being in downtown Chicago - parking is expensive - may be worth flying

If you need something done on cayenne while you in chicago - bookmark this place - https://goo.gl/maps/HWeyhEypHpxpsGB58

I would inspect bushings in suspension, valve cover gaskets (probably leaking and need replacement) and make sure Diffs and transfer case fluids are fresh.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:32 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

And then after you fix all that stuff you can drive and drive and drive it. I have 205,000 on my S. I'd do that drive without even thinking about it. Hell, I'd do it (and have) in my 928 at any given moment.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:46 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

It sounds like you have the car pretty much ready to go. Perhaps the coolant expansion tank before you go, but that's up to you.

Spare fuses & relays, maybe oil & coolant just in case.
I tend to be a bit superstitious, and I have found that any problem you plan for, are prepared for (parts & tools and such) won't happen. It will be something else.

One thing - If you've never driven through the Rockies, make sure you take I70 through Colorado one way or the other. Glenwood Canyon is reputedly the most beautiful stretch of interstate in the entire country. I've been lots of places and I don't disagree.

Where in Chicago? As noted, parking downtown can be a huge pain, and expensive to boot. But if you are staying in a hotel, or simply coming in, dropping him off & heading back out the next day, it won't be that big of an issue.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:42 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I would bring a spare coil or two with me, just so they don't act up on the trip!
Old 01-14-2020, 07:26 PM
95_993
Race Car

I would think nothing of driving my 95 CS to Chicago and back to Boston. Mine has 80k miles with all the preventative stuff mentioned done (brakes, coolant pipes, cardon shaft support, coils, plugs, headlight harnesses). Awesome cruiser on the highway.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
I would think nothing of driving my 95 CS to Chicago and back to Boston. Mine has 80k miles with all the preventative stuff mentioned done (brakes, coolant pipes, cardon shaft support, coils, plugs, headlight harnesses). Awesome cruiser on the highway.
But does it have Walrod Bushings? lol...just kidding...
Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 PM
95_993
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
But does it have Walrod Bushings? lol...just kidding...
Ha! No, but thinking about urethane bushing on torque arm.
The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (09-02-2021)
Old 01-14-2020, 08:58 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95_993
Ha! No, but thinking about urethane bushing on torque arm.
I bet Chris could of whip up some good bushings for the pig if he were over here. That's the last mod I did on the 993 before selling her, and it made a huge difference.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:51 PM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! It seems totally reasonable to prep the car for the trip. The car has been mechanically flawless in the 1 year and 6k miles we've owned it so I'm optimistic now.

Preventive maintenance items: coolant tank, check alternator output, fresh diffs and transfer case fluids (transmission was already done 1yr ago), inspect bushings, valve cover gaskets, headlight harnesses (the left front headlight gives dipped beam errors sometimes and I need to get out and shove it a bit to fix it).

Spares to bring: durametric, fuses, relays (any P/N recommendations?), oil, coolant, 1-2 coils

Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Wisconsin Joe and Kirill, I'm not concerned about parking. We're staying at the Sophy Hyde park for the U.Chicago graduation weekend and the hotel has either street parking (ha ha good luck) or valet parking for $42/day. We're there 4 days, so the $168 won't kill us.

Kirill, thanks for the pointer to North Shore Motor Works. I sincerely hope I don't need their help.

Wisconsin Joe, thanks for the recommendation on I70. I've been on that several times as a kid on family road trips and you're right it's beautiful.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:24 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcsjc
Thanks everybody for the suggestions! It seems totally reasonable to prep the car for the trip. The car has been mechanically flawless in the 1 year and 6k miles we've owned it so I'm optimistic now.

Preventive maintenance items: coolant tank, check alternator output, fresh diffs and transfer case fluids (transmission was already done 1yr ago), inspect bushings, valve cover gaskets, headlight harnesses (the left front headlight gives dipped beam errors sometimes and I need to get out and shove it a bit to fix it).

Spares to bring: durametric, fuses, relays (any P/N recommendations?), oil, coolant, 1-2 coils

Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Wisconsin Joe and Kirill, I'm not concerned about parking. We're staying at the Sophy Hyde park for the U.Chicago graduation weekend and the hotel has either street parking (ha ha good luck) or valet parking for $42/day. We're there 4 days, so the $168 won't kill us.

Kirill, thanks for the pointer to North Shore Motor Works. I sincerely hope I don't need their help.

Wisconsin Joe, thanks for the recommendation on I70. I've been on that several times as a kid on family road trips and you're right it's beautiful.
What jack would you be traveling with? I have roadside assistance but thinking of picking up a bottle jack to have in case of an emergency.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:19 AM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by dcsjc
Two things i hate doing in my Cayenne is valet or street parking in Chicago.

Get ParkWiz app - https://www.parkwhiz.com/
I usually can find multistory garage at reasonable rate
Old 01-15-2020, 12:06 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

dcsjc,

Do you have a spare tire in the back? Not all Cayennes have one. Most do have a bottle of tire sealant that is at least 16 years old and probably expired. So a can of fix a flat would be a good substitute.

Bring a fire extinguisher, extra water (for you and your wife) and coolant for the P!G too.

As for the alternator, it will not show any symptoms until it's about to give out. When it does fail, it has a very short window of intermittent charge/no charge and then it's kaput. The alternator on mine lasted til 180K. It was NOT a fun repair to do, but fortunately Sonnen up across the golden gate had the best price so a small excursion north to collect the part was a nice break from the repair.

How are the lower control arms? If you have no record of them being replaced, I'd highly recommend replacing them before the trip. The improvement in steering and handling with new fresh bushings and ball joints is worth it.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by Travis
dcsjc,

Do you have a spare tire in the back? .
Good call on spare - if you have it - test it out - see if it stays inflated, people reported after years of no use spare wheels deteriorate

Quick Reply: preparing for a road trip