Sponsored by:

Increase 957 GTS Air Suspension ride height settings

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Typ9xx
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Increase 957 GTS Air Suspension ride height settings

Hi all, first post on Rennlist. What a resource! I'll start by saying a big THANK YOU to all who have provided info here. The technical knowledge, tricks and techniques posted here have made for some very informative reading and has made the decision to buy a Cayenne that much easier.

I'm seriously considering a 957 for my next purchase. Probably an S, but maybe a GTS. I'll be doing some off-roading in it occasionally and that brings me to my question. According to the owner's manual the GTS (with Air Suspension) has a 20mm lower ride height for Normal, Off-Road and Special Terrain levels.

Can anyone say definitively if this is done simply by the ride height controller or is it a physical component difference? I've had a look at a few parts resources and there doesn't seem to be different suspension components listed for the GTS vs, say, the S.

Before anyone suggests a Transsyberia, I'm in Australia and they're as rare as hen's teeth here. I don't know how many were brought in but I'd be surprised if it was more than a few.

TIA
Old 01-05-2019, 09:16 PM
tats
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also in Aus - had an S now have a GTS and believe it’s all done in settings so think Durametric can make the changes. Haven’t seen a trans model either, but the steel front tray is available at the dealers for around 400 bucks for some more protection. Personally though I’d get a turbo to off-road as they’re much cheaper here and use the money saved to do some mods. The GTS premium is quite high and the alcantara may not like the red dust. Performance against an S off-road wouldn’t be any different off road either, but the turbo would be.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Typ9xx
Track Day

Thanks for the info tats. I think I'll steer away from a turbo due to the extra complexity. It wouldn't take much for the price difference to be eroded by a visit to the workshop.

An S would probably be the right fit but...GTS...I've always liked them...

Given the compromise a GTS would be for off-roading (body kit, lower ride height, higher purchase price) and with 3 kids the back seat isn't ideal, it's clearly a contender for a project.

If you've got access to a Durametric you should give the ride height mod a crack. It's clearly the unanswered question of our time.
​​
Old 01-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Typ9xx
Track Day

Thanks for the info tats. I think I'll steer clear of the turbo for simplicity's sake. The price difference could rapidly be wiped out with a visit to the workshop.

The attraction to the GTS is the lower final drive ratio for off-roading. The other attraction is, well, GTS! I've always liked them. Significantly compromised for off-road however. Think: body kit, ride height, firmer ride. Also I'm not sure the bolstered back seat is ideal for 3 kids. Still...GTS!

If the ride height can be altered the other short comings can either be worked around or lived with.

An S would be the logical choice but...GTS...

If you've got access to a Durametric I really think you should give it a crack and see if the ride height can be altered.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 PM
TCZ
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The Terrain height is pretty high as is. Do you want to go higher than that?
Push the lever in the console forward to terrain height, she goes up a couple inches and you are good to go!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:17 PM
tats
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol - I don't have a durametric but I'm convinved its just the same. The GTS vs S question is probably about 10-15k premium over here in WA. For that you get those things you have mentioned and a car that is holding better residual value no to mention the wonderful noise from the sports exhaust. The GTS in base form is more like driving a car such as a BMW touring rather than an SUV as it's a very different drive compared to the S - much more involving. Or at least mine is. The ride is a bit choppier according to my passengers but to me it feels softer in the rear suspension. Steering and turn in especially is much much crisper. The wheels and tyres would be rubbish off-road though due to the tyre profile. I think 19s will fit over the red brakes so some tall tough boots would certainly help. The seat will be ok for the kids imo. Again not sure alcantara is a child friendly material though. I bought the GTS for the residual value, driving experience, style, handling and stayed away from the turbo for repair bills too so I understand exactly where you are - but I'm never going to take mine off-road. I'd buy an old range rover for luxury off-road or a troopie as a second vehicle for practicality and bush pin-striping. For the 10k difference though with an S I think you could get the wheels, tyres, awning, drawers, fridge slide, fridge, dual battery, rack, recovery gear, android stereo and still be ahead. But, after thinking all this through myself when I changed mine, I still bought the GTS
Old 01-07-2019, 01:08 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Ground clearance on the GTS is about 20mm lower in ALL modes. Says so right in the owners manual in the "Ground Clearance" section. Transsyberia model has the GTS engien and S ground clearance.
But, you can just as easily re-configure the suspension 20mm up on the GTS with air suspension. Dealer can do it, of course, Durametric can do it, and I think even the cheapo Chinese Launch thing can do it (double check on this before you buy one though).

GTS is awesome though. The bodykit does not impede approach angles as far as I know, as it's angled inwards behind the bumper-to-wheel diagonal if that makes sense.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:57 PM
Typ9xx
Track Day

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slavie
Ground clearance on the GTS is about 20mm lower in ALL modes. Says so right in the owners manual in the "Ground Clearance" section. Transsyberia model has the GTS engien and S ground clearance.
Yep, 20mm for the 3 mentioned (that are what count off-road imho), different for loading (zero diff) and low level (-5mm) modes. Transsyberia also has the lower ratio diffs, hence the attraction.

But, you can just as easily re-configure the suspension 20mm up on the GTS with air suspension. Dealer can do it, of course, Durametric can do it, and I think even the cheapo Chinese Launch thing can do it (double check on this before you buy one though).

GTS is awesome though. The bodykit does not impede approach angles as far as I know, as it's angled inwards behind the bumper-to-wheel diagonal if that makes sense.
Have you seen the reprogramming done, is it a definite? The side skirts are the ones I'd be looking at replacing with either the factory sliders or custom.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:03 PM
Typ9xx
Track Day

Originally Posted by tats
Lol - I don't have a durametric but I'm convinved its just the same. The GTS vs S question is probably about 10-15k premium over here in WA. For that you get those things you have mentioned and a car that is holding better residual value no to mention the wonderful noise from the sports exhaust. The GTS in base form is more like driving a car such as a BMW touring rather than an SUV as it's a very different drive compared to the S - much more involving. Or at least mine is. The ride is a bit choppier according to my passengers but to me it feels softer in the rear suspension. Steering and turn in especially is much much crisper. The wheels and tyres would be rubbish off-road though due to the tyre profile. I think 19s will fit over the red brakes so some tall tough boots would certainly help. The seat will be ok for the kids imo. Again not sure alcantara is a child friendly material though. I bought the GTS for the residual value, driving experience, style, handling and stayed away from the turbo for repair bills too so I understand exactly where you are - but I'm never going to take mine off-road. I'd buy an old range rover for luxury off-road or a troopie as a second vehicle for practicality and bush pin-striping. For the 10k difference though with an S I think you could get the wheels, tyres, awning, drawers, fridge slide, fridge, dual battery, rack, recovery gear, android stereo and still be ahead. But, after thinking all this through myself when I changed mine, I still bought the GTS
Not going to worry about fridge slider, draws etc. 18s fit and aren't expensive, awning and rack are easy enough. Got a lot of the recovery gear already. Though I think I'll need a hi lift jack, shovel and recovery tracks permanently bolted to the roof to fit in with all the very shiny fourbies around here.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:37 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Typ9xx
Have you seen the reprogramming done, is it a definite? The side skirts are the ones I'd be looking at replacing with either the factory sliders or custom.
Have not done it personally - I'm perfectly content with where my GTS is at stock - but this thread should lay your concerns to rest:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...etric-diy.html

Old 01-08-2019, 01:27 PM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, this is one I can talk to. :-) Check out www.facebook.com/CayenneGTSOffroad. yes, I also bought a GTS and take it offroad. here are some of my thoughts.
- not done the Durametic reset yet. but believe you can do it. I agree that the GTS is 20mm lower than an S in all settings from what I've seen.
- swap to 18" wheels, fit 265/ 65/R18 tyres. I've got BFGs KO2 and they dont rub at all.
- the approach, exit and breakover angles are not great for any serious offroading, having clipped front and back I cut front and rear bumpers and fitted custom skidplates.
- initially I fitted the porsche sump guard - its rubbish, its steel, but bent nearly instantly, thats when I went custom and sorted it properly. Never looked back its brilliant now, with decent clearance.
- I removed the side sills, as they kept coming off / loose on break over challenged areas. I've not replaced with factory rock sliders, as they lower the clearance, and simply dont look upto the job, you cant jack on them for example.
- you are right on the gearing - its really good in low range
- Oh - I also fitted fuel tank protection as you'll soon crack the plastic covering those.
- Factory recovery points are ****** rated, mine are fully tested, many many times.
- Mine doesnt have diff locks - I REALLY, REALLY want some.
- The fully upper level terrain setting drops back down when you go over 20kph (or so), this is really annoying and I desperately want to stop it - havent fixed that one.
- Air bags are not easy to disable and many offroad activites run the risk of triggering, I disable mine by disconnecting the control module in the centre console
- the onboard air compressor is no good for inflating 4 tyres, is an emergency back up only.
- on sand turn off all the traction aids, on rock trails leave them on.

Keep to hear if you fix any of the things I havent yet. Get in touch if I can help further. Check Facebook more than here. There are a group of us doing this stuff globally now, and I got a lot of info off them.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM
Typ9xx
Track Day

Have not done it personally - I'm perfectly content with where my GTS is at stock - but this thread should lay your concerns to rest:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...etric-diy.html
Concerns not entirely at rest, but not causing a disturbance either. 😉
Old 01-10-2019, 06:16 PM
Typ9xx
Track Day

Originally Posted by h_____
OK, this is one I can talk to. :-) Check out...
Thanks @h_____. I've seen your vids, excellent work there! 👍

Some great info, thanks. Is it pretty straight forward to access the airbag control module? I may go down the custom slider route, really depends how much opportunity I'll have to get out and do some more serious off-roading this year. Under body protection will definitely be addressed. Too much stuff under there to not do something.

I'll hit you up here for info as I'm not on the Facebook. Was, but I'm now over it. But I digress...😁
Old 01-11-2019, 06:14 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi - yes its a really easy.
Disconnect the battery
There are torx screws in the front of the arm rest, when you lift it up. Take these out and then you can remove the cover off the gearstick, then you can pull the clip off the control module, and put the cover back on. Getting access is the same process as if you need to unlock the "P" lock to move the car. Its the first 30 secs of this video
Get the FB thing - its love hate, I'll keep an eye here,

cheers

Hugh
Old 01-13-2019, 04:20 PM
Typ9xx
Track Day

h_____, have you considered putting in a rocker switch to turn the airbags on/off instead of disconnecting at the plug? Any technical reason why this would be a no-no?

Quick Reply: Increase 957 GTS Air Suspension ride height settings