Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Cayenne Turbo - BEST aftermarket battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 06:29 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
Default 2008 Cayenne Turbo - BEST aftermarket battery?

I would welcome everyone's thoughts on the best aftermarket battery for a 55k mile 2008 Cayenne Turbo. The original OEM battery seems to have finally failed. Time for a new one. Thoughts? Prices? Sources? Potential to have it shipped (the car is out of state near a mountain cabin).

Also, any tricks to installation or not really? I am remote from where the Cayenne is now and have not had to service the battery in the 10 years of owning the car.

Thank you.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:20 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

In talking to some Interstate dealers, and even a dealership, it sounds like the Interstate MTP battery (MTP-49 H8) is the way to go at around $225 new. The MTP batteries have 100-110 amps (but lower cold cranking amps -- 770 vs. 900 in the larger ones). They recommended this b/c they suggested it survives colder weather longer.

Thoughts? Input? Thanks.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:35 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by SB27
... The MTP batteries have 100-110 amps ...
That should be "Amp-hours", or Ah.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

You need the correct 'triple square' socket to get the seat up. Other than that, no tricks. Install instructions are in the owner's manual (at least they are for my 05).

No clue about shipping a battery. The acid in them makes it a bit interesting.

I have an Interstate in mine. PO installed it. Seems to be ok, and I have one in my 928 & motorcycle too.

Disclaimer: A friend owns a shop and is an Interstate dealer. I get my batteries priced below list price.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:09 AM
tats
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those triple square bolts can be tight.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I replaced my OEM one in my 09 TTS with a Napa Premiun AGM. No reason to ever buy a regular lead acid battery again now that the AGMs exist.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:38 AM
kraeburn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine last weekend. Surprisingly easy--maybe an hour tops including a jaunt to Pep Boys. Went with a Bosch. For me, this falls into the category of don't overthink it, get a name brand, and just do it. I had been putting it off and regret not doing it earlier.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:57 AM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

we always install a Bosch 95rmf
Old 12-20-2018, 12:13 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
You need the correct 'triple square' socket to get the seat up. Other than that, no tricks. Install instructions are in the owner's manual (at least they are for my 05).

No clue about shipping a battery. The acid in them makes it a bit interesting.

I have an Interstate in mine. PO installed it. Seems to be ok, and I have one in my 928 & motorcycle too.

Disclaimer: A friend owns a shop and is an Interstate dealer. I get my batteries priced below list price.
Thanks for the all the great info (everyone).

Is there a part number of the necessary triple square socket? Would like to order it online and have it shipped before leaving to head up to the mountains.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:16 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Thanks for the all the great info (everyone).

Is there a part number of the necessary triple square socket? Would like to order it online and have it shipped before leaving to head up to the mountains.

Thanks everyone.
Amazon is your friend. There are multiple kits of triple-square drive drivers on Amazon - for $20-30. If you're a prime member - overnight shipping is free.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:21 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Gold on a video how-to!

I don't have an opinion on brand, but AGM is the way to go if available. Most of these batteries are rebrands anyway from Johnson Controls. Apparently only two manufacturers actually make batteries.

The last few batteries I have purchased have been Interstate from Costco. Great quality and priced right.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:17 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Amazon is your friend. There are multiple kits of triple-square drive drivers on Amazon - for $20-30. If you're a prime member - overnight shipping is free.
Thanks a ton, Don. I guess I should have been more specific. Is there a certain exact size to order just one socket or do I have to order the entire socket set?

If either, if you could send me a link to Amazon of one that would work, that would be great. I know I would screw this up trying to do this myself.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Thanks a ton, Don. I guess I should have been more specific. Is there a certain exact size to order just one socket or do I have to order the entire socket set?

If either, if you could send me a link to Amazon of one that would work, that would be great. I know I would screw this up trying to do this myself.

Thanks.
Lots of triple square fasteners on this generation and newer Porsches. Just buy a set so you have what you need for the next job too.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:32 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pillow
Gold on a video how-to! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csQICKy5OJQ

I don't have an opinion on brand, but AGM is the way to go if available. Most of these batteries are rebrands anyway from Johnson Controls. Apparently only two manufacturers actually make batteries.

The last few batteries I have purchased have been Interstate from Costco. Great quality and priced right.
Spectacular video. Thank you.

Don -- I got what I needed from Amazon now. Thank you.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:34 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

the special tool you need is: M10 XZN (triple square) socket. And I agree with the other posts suggesting to buy a set - you'll find a few other things on the car using M8 and M12 (at least, in the simple stuff I've done so far) XZN's, so having the set is good. I actually leave an extra M10 XZN in the car along with other roadside tools.

It is just replacing a battery, but it is the most complicated battery swap I have ever done. Still just a battery. Here are a few links that may help:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...g-battery.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ent-guide.html

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

When you say "BEST", it might help to explain what you mean by that. At a minimum, it has to be 12V (all are), the + and - posts have to be in the right spots so the cables fit, and it has to fit (a little smaller OK, a little bigger not OK). Needs a vent tube to let any gas exhaust outside the vehicle (extra safety requirement here since it is inside the passenger compartment). After those necessities, you start factoring in CCA, Ah, etc. For me, price, warranty, and convenience (easily locally available) are big factors at that point. Since you're talking about shipping, I will guess you don't care about price. But for me, when I need one, "BEST" might mean an Interstate or whatever they sell at Home Depot.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayenne Turbo - BEST aftermarket battery?