Default LED Side Markers

Has anyone installed these?
Wondering how they would be wired in as the pic confuses me

Old 12-13-2018, 08:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Looks to me like the black plug just inserts into the normal bulb socket. LEDs need the correct polarity to work so if you plug them in and they don't, flip it around and reinstall.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:27 AM
TCZ
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks. I wasn't sure what to make of all of the white wires....
Old 12-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TCZ
Thanks. I wasn't sure what to make of all of the white wires....
I hadn't paid much attention to that after spotting the bulb socket connection. I bet both sections of the LEDs share a common ground that gets connected by the plug. I bet the red wire is part of the light section that faces toward the outside of the car and is a turn signal. I bet the an for the white wire is to lock it onto the parking light wire and that will turn on the section in the wheelwell that faces the tire and maybe the perimeter of the section that faces the side.

My widebody kit actually eliminated those light assemblies and I had a tough time figuring out a way to get rid of the bulb out warning. These LEDs will need to have proper resistors integrated into them, but even when I hooked up resistors I still got the error. The only solution was to reinstall the incandescent bulbs and tuck them inside the wheelwell. Hopefully the led lights have been tested on a Cayenne and are returnable if they don't work properly.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:44 PM
TCZ
Instructor

Ya. Thanks. That is my concern. I have never had much luck with this type of item. I have the clear side markers but at night the light looks so brown with any type of non-led bulb so thought this might be an option....
I may just do what you did and tuck the bulb inside somewhere since I am also not a fan of the lit-up wheel well feature.....
Thanks for your help!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:41 PM
TO.DT
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had have these installed in mine for the last year or so. Quality-wise, they are well made and fit perfectly. The white-wire connects to 12V ACC and powers the white LED portion. The other wire plugs directly into the existing bulb socket and controls the orange LED area. Interestingly, my version works fine regardless of polarity.

One big caveat is that if your Cayenne is programmed for North America, the white-LED portion will not work without some rewiring (or reprogramming). The orange area in the middle acts as a running light and DOES NOT flash along with the turn signals.

Outside of North America, the orange area acts as turn signal indicators, and the white area as running lights. Boggles my mind why Porsche would remove that feature. There was a previous post about someone trying to figure out where these settings live and how to change them in Durametric, but I don't think anyone come up with a definitive answer.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:13 PM
TCZ
Instructor

Ugh. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TO.DT
I've had have these installed in mine for the last year or so. Quality-wise, they are well made and fit perfectly. The white-wire connects to 12V ACC and powers the white LED portion. The other wire plugs directly into the existing bulb socket and controls the orange LED area. Interestingly, my version works fine regardless of polarity.

One big caveat is that if your Cayenne is programmed for North America, the white-LED portion will not work without some rewiring (or reprogramming). The orange area in the middle acts as a running light and DOES NOT flash along with the turn signals.

Outside of North America, the orange area acts as turn signal indicators, and the white area as running lights. Boggles my mind why Porsche would remove that feature. There was a previous post about someone trying to figure out where these settings live and how to change them in Durametric, but I don't think anyone come up with a definitive answer.
That feature in 997s is easily codable with Durametric. It's called side markers as turn signals and I did it in both my 997s. I'd be surprised if the Cayenne of the same generation would be any different.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I was looking at those as well as a Christmas present to myself, lol.

Quick Reply: LED Side Markers