Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Turbo vs 06 Turbo S 12k vs 20k opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 477 Posts

Those prices seem high, but that's up to you. A buddy of mine just picked up an '06 Turbo with 110k and I'm pretty sure he was under $10k all up. He also mentioned one out in the midwest he was looking at for around $5k which had a scrape on the exterior. He's a long-time P-car owner (he currently has an 80s 911 Cab, a 996, and a couple 928s), so I'm sure he got a good one. Of course, he's also an accomplished mechanic and a Snap-On dealer, so if he can't do it himself, he knows someone who can do it for a reasonable price.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Chrali
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Respectfully disagree. Looking at it from the simple standpoint of $$ per HP, $8k for 70hp comes to $115 a pony which is cheap HP and this is factory Porsche HP not BS aftermarket bolt on crap. Justifiable from the power aspect alone,then you add better brakes, better suspension, probably better interior appointments, better resale, and it has an S on the back.
Originally Posted by Chrali
All things considered if you're happy enough with the look and spec of the CTT get that instead of the CTTS as IMHO its not worth that kind of premium.
IMHO a CTTS fundamentally doesn't have much over a CTT. When it comes to spec, they still have the alcantara headlining (perhaps just later ones), leather dash, air ride and so on. Suspension changes are marginal; other than a tweak in the PSM, as the CTTS had solid bushes and the rest had fluid filled; which are now unavailable, so guess what everyone uses now. Yup the CTTS ones. The CTTS brakes make me lose my gourd !!! A CTT has 450 bhp and CTTS about 520bhp at the crank. By the time you magnify the drive line losses, how much of that 70 bhp makes it to the wheels on a new vehicle, let alone one nearing 100k miles? Enough to warrant ludicrously expensive brakes? I think not. As for resale, these cars are orphans. Kinda cruel, but like most old German prestige motors they hang around looking for very specific owners willing to consider these and I see the same 955's on Autotrader month in month out. If these were in demand the depreciation would be a lot better. Also is the intended duty of the car, in the UK my driving is usually clogged with traffic, so even a NA V8 would be fine.

I agree about the S on the back though

I got my 06 CTTS as I had to get above 500 bhp and wanted the S, now I'm not really that fussed, as I can't nail it much anyway. More than that was that I loved the fully loaded spec (blue paint/tan leather/chrome pack, roof rails, sport design bodykit and 20" sport techno wheels), as pretty much everything else was black, or silver with black interiors which for me is meh!

So IF I'd found a CTT at a cheaper price with that lot; and I have see the occasional one, I would have probably have gone that way.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:11 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
You need to read ALL the sticky threads in this forum to understand the issues around owning a Cayenne. I owned a 911 Targa for 25 years (120,000 miles) and I don't think I had anything fail in that time other than a hose that split from age and some loose connections on the fuse block, some separation of trim in the jump seats in the back, and replacing the material on the targa roof once. Cayennes are NOT like that! The Targa had EFI and catalytic converter, but not much in the way of modern ammenities so it was a far simpler vehicle than a Cayenne. And you are being warned about cylinder scoring because it SEEMS to occur most often in climates where the winters are cold (no hard proof of this, but more of the people reporting having the problem have had cold-climate vehicles. There is a coating on the cylinder walls that, once it begins to fail, you start burning oil and losing some compression. Once the coating begins to fail, the only fix is a replacement engine... if you can find one. And that, even with 100,000+ km on the replacement engine, is likely to cost $8000 or more just for the engine, nevermind the labor to pull the orignal and put in the replacement. You can't just plop any Cayenne engine in any given Cayenne either... each model's engine is uniquely integrated, so you don't drop an S engine into a Turbo and expect everything to work. Other options on the vehicle can make integrating a non-identical engine a job for only the most tenacious and tech-savvy DIYers or shops that really know what they are doing.
Just for the record there is no coating. 955 Turbo and turbo S engines are the same except tune and intercoolers.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:20 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Just for the record there is no coating. 955 Turbo and turbo S engines are the same except tune and intercoolers.
Probably referring to the hardening agent used to treat, not coat, the cylinders. Here's a breakdown of what's been used. I have yet to find a way to determine which specifically was employed on my mine. Would like to know. Some are better than others.

https://lnengineering.com/news/tech-...rsche-engines/

Old 12-13-2018, 08:11 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm yelling it from the rooftops! It's been discussed a million times before. That article doesn't even apply to cayenne engines, not even in a roundabout way. No hardening agent, no coating, no liners, just straight Alusil.
The spreading of misinformation is like cancer for this car, as if it's life cycle wasn't sick enough already.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm yelling it from the rooftops! It's been discussed a million times before. That article doesn't even apply to cayenne engines, not even in a roundabout way. No hardening agent, no coating, no liners, just straight Alusil.
The spreading of misinformation is like cancer for this car, as if it's life cycle wasn't sick enough already.
You can yell it from the rooftops all you want but it's the first time I've heard it, so thanks. Doesn't do any good to get frustrated with a community that is constantly going to have new blood. I'm certainly not apologizing for hearing it for the first time, but thank you. Can I asked you how you know this, without you getting more frustrated hopefully? Do you have an article somewhere or a white sheet that says it wasn't used on cayennes? The article mentions Alusil. You said nothing was used except Alusil. And that the article has nothing, no information remotely relating to Cayennes. I love learning, seems non sequitur though as I said I'm here to learn.

Last edited by ProgRockJunkie; 12-13-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Alusil by definition is "no coating" - its an aluminum alloy used for the block that has a high silica content. When creating cylinder bores - they are first mechanically bored, then physically/chemically "polished" or "etched" - that process removes a microscopically thin amount from the aluminum part of the bore - leaving the hard silica grains standing slightly out. Those are what the pistons and rings touch - on a good one - they never actually touch the aluminum. The V8 Porsche engine was treated in one of two different ways to expose the silicon. One worked well and seems to last about forever, the other one not so much with some resulting bore failures (where the rings/piston do contact the aluminum and start scuffing and galling.) Starting late in 2009 it appears all blocks were subsequently finished with the good way (block/bore failures are about unknown on newer V8 engines.)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Joefus
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Suspension changes are marginal; other than a tweak in the PSM, as the CTTS had solid bushes and the rest had fluid filled"

My understanding is that in the CTTS suspension side of things it is not just the LCA bushes that are bigger but the entire front airshock.
It is listed as an upgrade in the E81 TSB and is a different part number on the parts catalog.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

Well, the article does talk about Alusil blocks (5th one down). Which is what's in the Cayenne (in the 928 also).

Aluminum, with silicon cast into the mix. The cylinders are 'processed' with an acid to remove the aluminum and expose the silicon. While it isn't a 'coating' or 'plating', the exposed silicon is what the rings ride on, not aluminum.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:02 PM
Chrali
Advanced

Thank's that slipped by me, but it doesn't change my view that all of these small tweaks are not a reason on their own to choose a CTTS over a CTT 10 years+ down the line, unless you MUST have CTTS.

Originally Posted by Joefus
"Suspension changes are marginal; other than a tweak in the PSM, as the CTTS had solid bushes and the rest had fluid filled"

My understanding is that in the CTTS suspension side of things it is not just the LCA bushes that are bigger but the entire front airshock.
It is listed as an upgrade in the E81 TSB and is a different part number on the parts catalog.

Last edited by Chrali; 12-19-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:53 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

OP: $11,000 US / $15,000 CAD (or less) for an 84,000 mile CTTS in 9/10 condition would be a decent deal if the car has no hidden issues/PPI and service history all check out ok, and it’s the one you’ll be most happy with for the next several years. I can only speak to the Turbo S. I have 145,000 miles on my CTTS, no regrets; and plan to keep it for many years to come.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:40 PM
shurton
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ended up buying the 05 Turbo. The price is in Canadian Dollars and Kilometers, not miles. So it was $8140USD with 87k miles.

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Those prices seem high, but that's up to you. A buddy of mine just picked up an '06 Turbo with 110k and I'm pretty sure he was under $10k all up. He also mentioned one out in the midwest he was looking at for around $5k which had a scrape on the exterior. He's a long-time P-car owner (he currently has an 80s 911 Cab, a 996, and a couple 928s), so I'm sure he got a good one. Of course, he's also an accomplished mechanic and a Snap-On dealer, so if he can't do it himself, he knows someone who can do it for a reasonable price.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:00 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by shurton
I ended up buying the 05 Turbo. The price is in Canadian Dollars and Kilometers, not miles. So it was $8140USD with 87k miles.
Sorry, I missed the currency conversion. That sounds like a good deal!
Old 12-19-2018, 07:31 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Alusil by definition is "no coating" - its an aluminum alloy used for the block that has a high silica content. When creating cylinder bores - they are first mechanically bored, then physically/chemically "polished" or "etched" - that process removes a microscopically thin amount from the aluminum part of the bore - leaving the hard silica grains standing slightly out. Those are what the pistons and rings touch - on a good one - they never actually touch the aluminum. The V8 Porsche engine was treated in one of two different ways to expose the silicon. One worked well and seems to last about forever, the other one not so much with some resulting bore failures (where the rings/piston do contact the aluminum and start scuffing and galling.) Starting late in 2009 it appears all blocks were subsequently finished with the good way (block/bore failures are about unknown on newer V8 engines.)
Gents,

I own a 55k 2008 Cayenne Turbo. It is in great condition and is mainly driven only in winter (cold) or summer (medium warm) in the mountains. Anything I can do to extend the life of the car? Am still enjoying it immensely. Wonderful machine. I bought it new and have cared for it pretty well. The cylinder issue is a new one to me. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:03 PM
davis391
Intermediate

SB27, Congrats! Hope you enjoy your p!g as much as the rest of us...

Quick Reply: 05 Turbo vs 06 Turbo S 12k vs 20k opinion?