Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Turbo vs 06 Turbo S 12k vs 20k opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 04:47 PM
shurton
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 05 Turbo vs 06 Turbo S 12k vs 20k opinion?

Hi guys,
I'm looking at an 05 Turbo for $11900CDN with 140k km and I'd rate it at 7/10 vs an 06 Turbo S with 135k km and it's 9/10. This is in Canadian dollar and in kilometers.
I really like the 06, it's mint drives great. The 05 runs great as well, and I'm not really noticing the 70hp difference.
Would anyone here pay the extra money for the Turbo S over the standard Turbo?
I would love the Turbo S, but and $8k premium for it sounds crazy.
What's your opinion?

Last edited by shurton; 12-14-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:07 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Whatever you decide make sure and get a PPI to include cylinders scoring. See if you can get the 06 price to come down.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:09 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shurton
...and I'm not really noticing the 70hp difference.
I would love the Turbo S, but and $8k premium for it sounds crazy.
What's your opinion?
You may have answered your own question.
You didn't mention if both cars have a complete service history available; quite important. As is the condition of the brakes on a Turbo S; very $$. The S premium seems high.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 956 Likes on 597 Posts

Went through same decision tree 3 yrs ago: 05 T vs 06 TS. $9,000 price delta. Drove both twice back-to-back. If you don’t notice the power, torque, sound, handling difference and braking of the Turbo S, there’s something wrong with that car. Mine is just spectacular awesomeness to drive. Every time I climb aboard my Turbo S I can’t believe the beautiful fit and finish. A little more moolah to keep some bits maintained (brakes/air suspension), but all worth it too me. PPI a must. Check out the forum at the top of page: “If you’re thinking of buying a 955/957...” to do your due diligence before you buy. Nit pick the bejeezus out of each Porsche. Good luck!

Old 12-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

How are the interior options? Bose? Parking Sensors? Tinted windows? Tow package? Luggage rails? Pano Roof?

I have an 06 CTT with 115k miles and 06 CTTS with 34k miles

The drive really isn't all that different to me. They are both fast and fun daily drivers.

Unless the CTTS has superior options you're prob better off getting the CTT and using the delta money on future repairs.

Consider putting in an Android head unit immediately for an upgraded technology experience.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:12 PM
pvanosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for if and when wear and tear items were last replaced on both cars
- brakes
- plugs and coils
- expansion tank and cooling pipes
- air/oil separator
- battery
Check for smoke (white or blue), especially under deceleration followed by re-acceleration

and as stated earlier: a full PPI including bore scoping (ask me why I know )

A scored cylinder will double the cost of your car in a heartbeat and it can be hidden for just long enough for it to become your problem instead of the unscrupulous seller's...
Old 12-11-2018, 03:45 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

You need to read ALL the sticky threads in this forum to understand the issues around owning a Cayenne. I owned a 911 Targa for 25 years (120,000 miles) and I don't think I had anything fail in that time other than a hose that split from age and some loose connections on the fuse block, some separation of trim in the jump seats in the back, and replacing the material on the targa roof once. Cayennes are NOT like that! The Targa had EFI and catalytic converter, but not much in the way of modern ammenities so it was a far simpler vehicle than a Cayenne. And you are being warned about cylinder scoring because it SEEMS to occur most often in climates where the winters are cold (no hard proof of this, but more of the people reporting having the problem have had cold-climate vehicles. There is a coating on the cylinder walls that, once it begins to fail, you start burning oil and losing some compression. Once the coating begins to fail, the only fix is a replacement engine... if you can find one. And that, even with 100,000+ km on the replacement engine, is likely to cost $8000 or more just for the engine, nevermind the labor to pull the orignal and put in the replacement. You can't just plop any Cayenne engine in any given Cayenne either... each model's engine is uniquely integrated, so you don't drop an S engine into a Turbo and expect everything to work. Other options on the vehicle can make integrating a non-identical engine a job for only the most tenacious and tech-savvy DIYers or shops that really know what they are doing.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Chrali
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All things considered if you're happy enough with the look and spec of the CTT get that instead of the CTTS as IMHO its not worth that kind of premium.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:07 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrali
All things considered if you're happy enough with the look and spec of the CTT get that instead of the CTTS as IMHO its not worth that kind of premium.
Respectfully disagree. Looking at it from the simple standpoint of $$ per HP, $8k for 70hp comes to $115 a pony which is cheap HP and this is factory Porsche HP not BS aftermarket bolt on crap. Justifiable from the power aspect alone,then you add better brakes, better suspension, probably better interior appointments, better resale, and it has an S on the back.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:29 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Respectfully disagree. Looking at it from the simple standpoint of $$ per HP, $8k for 70hp comes to $115 a pony which is cheap HP and this is factory Porsche HP not BS aftermarket bolt on crap. Justifiable from the power aspect alone,then you add better brakes, better suspension, probably better interior appointments, better resale, and it has an S on the back.
Well with that $/HP logic and rate, the difference between a V6 and an S would be about $10k. So if an S is worth $5k, how much will people pay me to take a V6 off their hands? PM me with offers.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:49 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Well with that $/HP logic and rate, the difference between a V6 and an S would be about $10k. So if an S is worth $5k, how much will people pay me to take a V6 off their hands? PM me with offers.
Ad absurdum, peanut gallery response. HP increases become more dear and more difficult to achieve safely and reliably the higher we go.

'06 Turbo S is "the" Cayenne, the swan song, work of art.

An '06 base Cayenne is a donation.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:16 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

And an '06 Cayenne S is my son's college car.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

You have to know yourself and what's important to you.

When I was shopping for a 957 Turbo or a GTS with MT, I knew that if I didn't buy the baddest, fastest version that I wouldn't be happy with it and my decision over the long haul. The GTS was in the running purely for the manual transmission as I'm a 3-pedal car guy. After driving a GTS, a Turbo, and a Turbo S, my decision was made and I own a Turbo S. For the way we will use the car - mostly family vacations, short business trips, dance competition trips or soccer tournament trips, the Manual Transmission became less important than the 150 extra HP (before the mods that added another 100 or so).

If you don't care about that kind of stuff, then the Turbo will save you up-front money and future brake cost money, though it sounds like it's not just a comparable condition Turbo and Turbo S and that the Turbo S is cleaner and better maintained with slightly lower mileage. On a complex vehicle, such as the Cayenne, cleaner and better maintained is worth a premium. My vote is for the Turbo S.

Also, in my case, another factor was that the 957 Turbo S has PDCC standard which was a must-have option during my search for the handling I wanted for my 5,000 lb SUV. My daughter would get car sick during mountain drives, even at regular speeds, in our prior Infiniti QX56. With the PDCC equipped Cayenne not swaying through the corners, and judicious application of the gas and brakes, we're actually averaging about 10 MPH quicker without her getting sick.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:13 AM
tats
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Turbo S. Rarest Cayenne, so if you want a car that's most likely to appreciate in the future its going to be this one.

I couldn't find one in Australia in condition/mileage/colour that suited me, so I traded from a 955 S to my 957 GTS. I'm keeping this one long term (15+ years), so while the turbo has more performance and performance upgrade options, I figured the NA engine will have fewer things to go wrong and the GTS here is harder to find so may hold value better (although this is guessing). And....it's the nicest sounding model imho. YMMV.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:53 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tats
+1 Turbo S. Rarest Cayenne, so if you want a car that's most likely to appreciate in the future its going to be this one.
Or at least depreciate the slowest and perhaps always have some residual. I bought my most recent Turbo S fully five years ago for $30k with 75k miles. 5yrs and 50,000 miles later, and dealerships are still advertising "well sorted" '06 TTS's with similar mileage around $20k. Porsche Beachwood has one advertised now for nearly $22k wth 120k miles. Yes, they must be high, but there's a market for the Turbo S that doesn't exist for lesser models. And it's enough power that it still pulls it's own weight, literally and figuratively, with modern cars. One thing I particularly like about the 955 TTS is I can enjoy the power, feel it better than a new Cayenne. In the 955, I can feel it pull and I know when I'm doing the speed limit or more. Newer Porsches feel like you're taking an elevator and you really have to pay attention to the speedometer. They gave me a '19 when my '06 was in for the recall and it was like riding an elevator, no passion, no feedback. They gave me a 5 day test drive and I couldn't wait to get my '06 back.

Quick Reply: 05 Turbo vs 06 Turbo S 12k vs 20k opinion?