Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the electric tailgate closer be added?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can the electric tailgate closer be added?

I really wanted the electric comfort package but I could not get it unless I ordered the car.

So I have my Cayenne and my biggest issue is that I have to REALLY slam the tailgate.

I have heard that the electric latch can be added. It this true? Is it a DIY?

If so, I will definitely get it.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:47 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. I too would be very interested!

Old 01-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

This is one of our upcoming projects.
Good to hear that there is interest :-).
So far, I have good results by pushing onto the license plate as suggested by another member.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's another one who's interested!
Old 01-22-2004, 06:05 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Thanks Gert!

Old 01-22-2004, 07:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would suggest trying the mechanism on a car that has it first.

My Cayenne came with it and I was surprised/disappointed at how hard you have to close the tailgate in order for the motor to finish the last 1/2".
More often than not, I end up closing the tailgate without it latching/drawing in.

Maybe I just have an incorrectly adjusted one, but I could do without it.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Lewis,

Hmmm, I have the Comfort Package and love the way it closes the rear gate. No slamming/hard actions involved at all. Maybe you need an adjustment??

TBP
Old 01-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Cay
Instructor

Hi

my dealer refitted the electric motor on my non electric comfort package cayenne. it costs me complete with parts and installation 300 euros and i`m happy about it cuz the normal hatch lock is a pain in the a...

he used the original porsche motor and a relais and wires from VW cuz a original kit from Pursch been not be available. job been done in 2 hours.

It works properly but like said above you have to slam the hatch much more than for eg on a Benz that the motor sucks the door in. By my SL you dont even hear when the hatch closes and its enuff to close the hatch very smooth - cheap work from Pursch in this point.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:27 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have the part #s?
Old 01-23-2004, 08:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Toby,
That could very well be. The Cayenne is going in on Monday for the 40-60mph vibration/Cardan shaft issue, so I'll just add it to the list. Hopefully it is an adjustment.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ltc
The Cayenne is going in on Monday for the 40-60mph vibration/Cardan shaft issue.....
HEY!!! Did your dealer sneak in under the wire and weasel a cardan shaft away from MY dealer??? I checked with Park Place yesterday and the shaft is still on order.

BTW, your compadres that did the 3-2-1Gs system did a GREAT job. I got one for Christmas, and I am continually amazed at the sound quality you guys produce from those little, bitty speakers! (Reminds me of Hedley Lamar's dying quote in front of Mann's Chinese Theater - "How did he does those things with such SMALL FEET!" )

Mike - is it fair to start a Blazing Saddles thread here or would that be off-topic?
Old 01-23-2004, 03:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Toby,
No, I didn't steal your Cardan shaft.
My Cayenne is going in to be looked at for the vibration issue, to see if it IS the Cardan shaft.
FWIW, my service advisor doesn't think it is, as they have only seen one to date. He is betting on imbalanced tires (even though I bought the 18" winter wheels/tires from Porsche mounted and balanced and didn't initially have the vibration. We'll see.
If it is the Cardan shaft, then I'll be waiting just like everybody else I guess.

Also, there is never a bad place for a Blazing Saddles thread!

Have a nice weekend,
Old 01-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lewis,

Know that my dealer posited the same to me when I initially discussed the problem with them. They eventually agreed after talking with the PCNA Tech Support folks in Atlanta, AND after I provided them with a very detailed scenario describing the sounds heards and vibrations felt. In fact, I was prescriptive down to the type of vibration felt/heard and the speed ranges during which one could experience these sensations.

Personally, I think that being so prescriptive did the trick.

Long story short..... when I talked with Park Place yesterday, my service advisor told me that they were waiting on TWO cardan shafts as replacements (mine and another). If balancing the tires does not work, press the issue with your dealer to look into the cardan shaft.

TBP
Old 01-23-2004, 06:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Toby,
Thanks for the advice.
Being an electrical engineer in the accoustics field, I have actually put a microphone and spectrum analyzer in the car while driving and based on the frequencies, speed and geometries of tires and shafts, can pretty much say what it is or isn't. Man, I have got to get a life.

However, I like my dealer and service department and want to let them do their thing and inspect the vehicle (they don't tell me how to do my job, so I'm not going to tell them how to do theirs)

My concern is that this is a bigger issue than PCNA is letting the dealers know. I'm guessing that based on the potential # of shafts to be replaced, the # of Cayennes scheduled to be built and the rate at which the supplier can produce updated shafts, this will remain a quiet issue with PCNA until all the material is in place for the required # of updates to affected Cayennes. I am also concerned about other damage (bearings, etc) caused by allowing the cars to drive around until this issue is officially identified and the scope of the repairs once they start.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ltc
I am also concerned about other damage (bearings, etc) caused by allowing the cars to drive around until this issue is officially identified and the scope of the repairs once they start.
Lewis,

This is exactly why I would not let this go. I can think of nothing worse than having the shaft drop or fail at a most inopportune time - such as on the freeway, at speed, etc..... I know my service tech thought I was crazy at first, but he was quickly turned around when the shop supervisor mentioned that he had heard about this issue from one of his contacts at the Tech Service line. Once that piece of information was on the table, Park Place stepped right up and committed to replacing the shaft. Now, it is as you note, simply waiting for supply to catch up with demand.

Toby

Quick Reply: Can the electric tailgate closer be added?